Cobra Hoods

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddha UK

Cobra Hoods

Post by Buddha UK »

In my modest collection there resides a shiny ATR. It has a Cobra hood as you all probably know. I think it looks great and works a treat. Am I the only one who would love to see this feature on more Spydies? Yes I agree the hole works perfectly well without it but even if my seat belts work perfectly I still appreciate air bags. :D
MCM

Post by MCM »

Yes, you might be the only one.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Holland

Post by Holland »

MCM wrote:Yes, you might be the only one.
+1 haha :D
although, i would still love to see a salsa sprint!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

MCM wrote:Yes, you might be the only one.

He's not.

Gordon
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

I like the Cobra Hood.

Tom
appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

I use to have a Salsa and loved the hood.
Should have never let it go...
:spyder: Ladybug 3 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue FRN FG
:spyder: Sharpmaker

EDC Knife: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
EDC Flashlight: Fenix LD12 XP-G2
Tank

Post by Tank »

I like it too
-John
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You're obviously not the only one, but you're probably part of a fairly small minority. And, while it only happens rarely, I'm with the majority on this issue. If Spyderco never made another cobra hooded blade it would be fine with me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I've had ATRs and Salsas and regard the cobra hood as a positive safety hazard. I had multiple unintended and unexpected wave openings with them. In my opinion, the only knife that has the cobra hood where everything tips in favor of the device is the Assist, where the user may be using the knife with a gloved hand.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Never owned one with that feature but would like to try it. It looks like it would aid in opening the knife
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Assist has a cobra hood as well. On that knife it makes perfect sense because you want to get it open even when using gloves.

TedP
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the cobra hood a lot. I've never had a problem with them accidentally deploying, and I like the wide thumb ramp it provides (and how it looks). I was disappointed to hear that if a Salsa sprint happens, it will be minus the hood. :(
:bug-red-white
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

phillipsted wrote:The Assist has a cobra hood as well. On that knife it makes perfect sense because you want to get it open even when using gloves.

TedP
Yes. I was about to say this but you said it perfectly.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I think it has its place in the lineup. I think it would be good as an aftermarket add on to the salt line if you could figure out how to make it function.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
SCARLETT

Post by SCARLETT »

For the past 7 years I carry an atr daily on duty and the cobra hood is fantastic. When wearing slash gloves or winter gloves it makes it that much easier to use. That being said I wouldn't buy a small knife with one.
:spyder:33:spyder:
Dreaming of an A.T.R. with combo TI/G10 scales
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Cobra hood is nice, certainly better than studs. But IMHO it is little redundant if you have a spydiehole.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I too like the cobra head.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Buddha UK

Post by Buddha UK »

Aha, I'm NOT the only one, lol.
Thanks for sharing your on duty experience SCARLETT, I would imagine that a lot of users are from the emergency services and therefore wear gloves or have situations were slippery fluids of one kind or another might be involved. I personally love the feel and look of it but at the same time agree it wouldn't look right and isn't needed on all Spydies. The aesthetics of some of your semi-precious Kiwis and Kopas for instance Deacon would, I think, be ruined with the addition of a hood. It's definitely a feature best suited for the hard use knife and not for functional pocket jewellery. I'd like to see one on the H1 Dragonfly 2 as (I think) it is the only Spydie that has a finger choil, H1 steel (wet and slippery conditions) and is of a size where we in the UK can convert it to a non locker, yet it is just a little small for those with big paws and I think the hood would help with that.. I'd also like one on my Ti UKPK, under 'normal' conditions it doesn't need it but I think it would look great and add to its functionality.
The Spyderhole is definitely one of the greatest innovations in knife history. It is comfortable, works excellently and has such a natural feeling, adding the hood (for me) only accentuates these things. I want to make it clear that I am not hoping to see it on every knife, just on a few more would be nice.
On accidental openings with the Cobra hood, I have seen it mentioned before but have never personally experienced it so I just tried unsuccessfully for about 10 mins to get this to happen with my ATR. Even tried with two different pockets, basketball shorts and cargo pants. Maybe I could recreate it with my girlfriends skinny jeans but then you would be lucky to get a Squeak in those pockets once they are on her let alone an ATR. I'm sure this is my lack of skill in recreating accidental openings but it's also a slight possibility that if you do suffer from accidental Cobra hood openinings you may want to consider a less snug fit pants wise.
Let them breath folks! :D
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I'm in! More compression locks too!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You're VERY close to the only one. :p The hole works fine as it is, thank you very much. I would love a titanium Salsa comp lock without the hood, though.
- best wishes, Jazz.