Knife contest - you have won ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sequimite

Knife contest - you have won ...

Post by Sequimite »

There have been some inspired and interesting, albeit hard, knife contests on the forum recently. I am giving away a Spyderco knife and the contest rules couldn't be simpler, you have already won!!! Because of the number of members who have tied for first place (everybody) I will pick a winner randomly. But there is a catch, here is the knife:

I initially thought of financing my next vacation by requiring all those who do not want to open a box and behold this unique creation to send me a dollar. Unfortunately this would violate forum rules. So instead if you DO NOT want to win this one of a kind collectors item, you must post on this thread that you do not wish to be a winner and tell why. Note - reposting the picture will not be considered as a valid reason for not wanting to win for the purposes of this contest/threat/blackmail/...
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Ok, I'm in. But what happened to it? Is there an original scale under there somewhere? :)
:bug-red-white
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

hahaha! i definitely don't want to win this Frankenstein spydie!
aogami super blue dragonfly!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Lol, I don't wanna win this wonderfull collectors item because I want to spare you from the cost of having to send this overseas also that way it can't get lost aswell, it would be shame if you lost such a sweet piece :D
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have little use for knives that are void of jimping in the 50/50 choil so I DO NOT want to be the winner, but I admire your contest!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

gbelleh wrote:Ok, I'm in. But what happened to it? Is there an original scale under there somewhere? :)
It's stainless steel scales, with diagonal "jimping" gouged into them, then covered in plasti-dip?? with a screwed on/up scale.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for the chuckle Sequimite, but count me out on this one, please! As for my reason, although the Scorpius is the only Spyderco midlock with a 50/50 choil that I've never cared for, even it deserves better treatment than that one has received.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Sequimite,
Count me In!
Winning any Spyderco would be a treat in my book.
It would be a knife to "refurbish", and remod to my liking. Can't make it much worse than it already is....ha!
Very cool gaw!
Thanks for the chance!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I have been blessed with many wonderful Spydercos, so I would like to not win this knife so someone less fortunate than me can have a chance to marvel in its everlasting glory.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would like to not win this knife because I fear that shipping this knife may be considered a terrorist act and I'd hate to see you sent to prison.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

I don't want to win that because, I will definitely have to devote some serious time to saving it from whatever it is that happened there. For a second, I thought perhaps something had shat upon it.
Thanks Seq! I think...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I don't want that knife because my knives are users... I would never use that knife because I'd be embarassed to take it out of my pocket.

BTW... good luck finding peoples' addresses to ship that too.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

captnvegtble wrote: BTW... good luck finding peoples' addresses to ship that too.
Yep, it occurred to me that the "winner" might not give me his address...

Once the thread stops attracting posts I'll choose a thread randomly and then a post. If the author of that post has not bailed already, I'll announce the glad tidings and see if one of his "friends" gives me his address.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Wow! I just looked at that pic again on my 24" monitor, rather than the iPhone. I almost want to withdraw my entry, but morbid curiosity makes me want to see this hideous creature in person. I'm starting to really want to help the poor thing.
:bug-red-white
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I want a chance to bring that "one of a kind" and quite unique knife back to its former glory.

There is only one in existence right?
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I've always wanted a Scorpius. (It is a scorpius right? I'm a little hazy on this.) Imagine it reclothed with cocobolo scales. Maybe even some sort of jigged bone? (Might be too delicate though.) To be honest, it doesn't look that bad right now. The blade's used, but fine. The handle may be a little "icky", but it's still much better than half the tactical **** out there. If it weren't black I'd say there's nothing significantly wrong with the handle.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
paladin

Post by paladin »

As much as I would like to own that artifact I can't justify adding it to my collection, it really deserves to be in the Smithsonian...it's not everyday that you get to see a knife that has survived a ground zero A-bomb test blast.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
GSO

Post by GSO »

Sequimite wrote:It's stainless steel scales, with diagonal "jimping" gouged into them, then covered in plasti-dip?? with a screwed on/up scale.
But why? Hahah

I always wanted to get my hands on a Scorpius, but I wouldn't touch that thing with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.
:p
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I'm going to guess the original owner wanted more grip. Maybe something to do with slick stainless steel? The jimping, the plasti dip, and that extra scale seem to make the knife more ergonomic.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Ergonomically the modifications are an improvement. Aesthetically it's a disaster. It is a Scorpius.