sal "nyc knife"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

sal "nyc knife"

Post by endgame »

Could you come up with a knife especially made for nyc.use the meerkat lock-pingo spyderco hole and blade.trazola opening style so you cant flick it.no pocket clip.I would buy one in a heart beat.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I believe if you read up on the NYC rules, locks are not allowed. You are allowed a fixed blade up to 4" in length, but no locking folders. I think the Squeak and Pingo as they are now meet the requirements.

I think technically as it is worded, saying that it can be opened with centrifugal force, all folders would be against the rules. It is difficult to open the Squeak and Pingo with centrifugal force and I'd challenge anyone who hasn't practiced it quite a bit. The Pingo is difficult for me to open like that.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I have a flock of Squeaks and can't get them to open by flicking. I tried it by opening to the first stop, but I do not think the blade has enough weight to open.

Of course my Squeaks are all relatively new, I'm not sure if you can flick a broken in one... that being said, I'm not much of a flicker.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I carry the Kiwi when I go to the city. It's non locking, clipless and needs two hands to open. :spyder:
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote: I'm not if you can flick a broken in one...
Mine is broken in and with enough force I can flick mine, haven't tried to adjust the pivot yet.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
endgame

Post by endgame »

The lock on the merrkat is hidden so that's why I added that.I can still flick my pingo open but the trazola doesn't.I just want special knife just for nyc like the ukpen knife if for the Uk.like the"nyc subway knife."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If I could legally carry knives like the Street Beat and Swick I wouldn't need to buy folders.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

So, a locking 2-inch folder is illegal, but a 4" fixed blade is fine? Do these laws ever make sense?
:bug-red-white
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

This is NYC we are talking about, I don't think common sense is in high abundance there.
gbelleh wrote:So, a locking 2-inch folder is illegal, but a 4" fixed blade is fine? Do these laws ever make sense?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gbelleh wrote:So, a locking 2-inch folder is illegal, but a 4" fixed blade is fine? Do these laws ever make sense?
In general laws are made as legislative "fixes" to contextual problems. Same reason why in most states you can open-carry a pistol but if caught with brass knuckles, nunchucks, or throwing stars it's a federal offense.

If I recall correctly NYC also banned large soda drinks yet you can still buy 40's of malt liquor. ;)
GSO

Post by GSO »

einstein2001 wrote:I carry the Kiwi when I go to the city. It's non locking, clipless and needs two hands to open. :spyder:
I similarly carried a Kiwi thinking the same thing. When I read on another forum that NYPD officers were performing what were essentially Spydie drops to assess knives, I pulled out my Kiwi and tried it. You need to put your entire arm into it and whip hard, but it can be opened with centripetal force single-handed and consistently.

I don't think law enforcement would harass you simply over possessing a Kiwi, but I think if they were really trying to find fault, they could hold it against you.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Seems like the best thing to have would be a Street Beat.
:bug-red-white
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

How can one design a knife for a place where they change what's legal or not with a memo and a couple phone calls then send in SWAT teams to swoop in and grab millions of dollars of stock even taking items that meet the requirements of their new translations of the law. Then, they agree not to charge people if they pay enough money. It's like putting the Genovese or Gambino family in charge of the AG office, with the mayor being a "supervillian" out of a James Bond story who issues orders from his Island in the Bahamas making sure no rule of law applies to him. :)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Pingo?
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

einstein2001 wrote:I carry the Kiwi when I go to the city. It's non locking, clipless and needs two hands to open. :spyder:
If you do the Spydie drop with it you can open one-handed using centripetal force

Edit: read farther down the thread and saw its already been addressed.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Pingo has clip and youcan spydie drop it
Donut

Post by Donut »

Clips are not illegal, but the Police look for them and will hassle you and try to confiscate if they see one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

BigBill5953 wrote:If you do the Spydie drop with it you can open one-handed using centripetal force

Edit: read farther down the thread and saw its already been addressed.
My kiwi is pretty tight and will not spyder-drop no matter how hard I try.

I cant really imagine a situation where I would get busted with Kiwi and an officer throwing out his arm trying to spyder-drop it. Kind of a funny picture in my mind.
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Since the Kiwi is a slipit and non locking, do the gravity knife rules apply?
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

The Mastiff wrote:How can one design a knife for a place where they ...
Exactly. We are trying to apply reason and logic to an unreasonable and illogical situation. If I were headed to NYC I'd drop a 74mm or smaller Victorinox in my pocket, or in a bag if I were carrying one, and call it a day.
~ Nate