MT17P - Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring K390

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

MT17P - Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring K390

Post by TazKristi »

MT17P will be available for sale on Thursday, 18-Jul-2013 at 0900 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com. You will find it under model # MT17.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $69.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Orders/Shipping:
International orders have a maximum allowed amount of $300 (including shipping fees) for all online orders. All orders over $300 must be placed via phone or e-mail and paid for via wire transfer. Shipment of orders paid for via wire transfer will not occur until monies have been received by the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store. You may contact our store to place a wire transfer order at sfo@spyderco.com or 303/279-8383 x 107.

International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About K390:
K390 steel is produced by the Böhler Uddeholm steel company, headquartered in Vienna, Austria. K390 is a powdered metallurgy, cold work tool steel with 9% vanadium and added tungsten and cobalt for excellent wear resistance and high compressive strength that is a workhorse in even the most severe applications. The carbides in the K390 mix are fine in textured and the steel’s remaining components are uniformly sized and distributed evenly throughout the matrix. This equal distribution of elements adds to the overall strength and cutting capacity when the blade is finished and sharpened.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Wwoooohhhhooooo!!!! Not missing out on this one.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Wow it's like Christmas in July! Two awesome offerings from Spyderco at once!
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Wow!
Two great knives on the same day!
Thank you :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Been waiting for this one. :)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

This is very exciting. My bank account is gonna take a beating on the 18th.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

senorsquare wrote:This is very exciting. My bank account is gonna take a beating on the 18th.
...you speak for many here.... :rolleyes:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Oh dear... ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Holland

Post by Holland »

yesss!!!!! omg, what an amazing month! cant wait to get all these in my hands
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Clip

Post by Clip »

Two camera lenses and now this and the forum Native! I gotta find a second job!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

....so, can anyone tell me about K390? How does the edge retention, toughness, rust resistance compare w/ the previous steels with which we're now familiar?
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

http://www.bohler-edelstahl.com/english ... K390DE.pdf

This is an interesting read. I wonder what hardness spyderco is going to do this at.

Some other thoughts I found.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 390!/page2

Prospero wrote:....so, can anyone tell me about K390? How does the edge retention, toughness, rust resistance compare w/ the previous steels with which we're now familiar?
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

What an unbelievable deal. I will cherish 2 of them!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I might have to take the day off of work so I can order these from a computer and not my phone. I would hate to miss out because of a lost signal or my phone not working
russde

Post by russde »

Oh my...my first mule AND my first Forum knife on the same day...my wife might kill me. It'll be worth it.
Barman

Post by Barman »

russde wrote:Oh my...my first mule AND my first Forum knife on the same day...my wife might kill me. It'll be worth it.
What, you're not buying two of each?! ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This is going to be a tight month, but thank you Spyderco.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Excellent - Montgomery Burns
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Senate

Post by Senate »

think i'll pass on the forum knife for this...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
brj

Post by brj »

double awesome...? :)
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal