2013 Spyderco Forum Knife Native5 - C41GPGR5 - RELEASE INFO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mr Blonde wrote:I recall those releases being quite a bit different. Sure there was a frenzy among forumites, but there didn't seem to be as many of us as now. I recall many knives that kept sitting on the shelves. The demand wasn't as big as now I think, you could get a blue forum spyderhawk for months and months after its release.
I really wish I had been around for that
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

MCM wrote:I think it was the blade steel / price. Thats what made this one special. To me anyway.
Blerv wrote:Exactly. While I generally (almost always) prefer cheaper knives to expensive ones, the cost of this forum knife relative to it's materials is quite low.

* Limited run - less cost effective than large production
* New handle scale material & technique - learning curve
* CPM-110v is VERY abrasive resistant - more sharpening belts
* Free shipping - this was a surprise!

This knife is only about $30-35 more than a normal Native5 if bought retail. Has obvious collect-ability (ie not lose-money-ability) and is simply different. Theoretical edge-life should be much longer too assuming you are the type to use a knife until it's a stub.
Both of these are 100% spot on IMO
*Landon*
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

MCM wrote:I think it was the blade steel / price. Thats what made this one special. To me anyway.
The Carbon Fiber Native 5 is available for preorder for under $200, with S110V and a premium handle material. $150 for the Forum Native is a pretty good price, no doubt, but if the CF version is any indication, it's not as big of a discount as people are making it out to be.

In other words, those of us who missed out should be more than happy to get the far superior peel ply version for only $50 more. ;)
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Just about any website would've been pushed to its limit with 1,000 frantic people sumultaneously mashing Submit, entering 999 repeatedly in the quantity field, refreshing every second, typing all kinds of jibberish into the State field, etc. It seems Spyderco handled it pretty well, but these things will never be 100% smooth with our current web technology.
:bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Just got my shipping notice. Very exciting.
*Landon*
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

gbelleh wrote:Just about any website would've been pushed to its limit with 1,000 frantic people sumultaneously mashing Submit, entering 999 repeatedly in the quantity field, refreshing every second, typing all kinds of jibberish into the State field, etc. It seems Spyderco handled it pretty well, but these things will never be 100% smooth with our current web technology.
How many people do you think are on amazon or ebay right now? How many people use google? How much bandwidth does youtube use?

It's not about the technology, it's about the cost. A small company like Spyderco can't afford that kind of web hosting (and really doesn't need it, of course), but it does exist. In the future it would be better to see releases done on separate days. That would decrease the server load and hopefully prevent the type of issue like the one we saw yesterday. Aside from that, their webmaster needs to take a look at things.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:In other words, those of us who missed out should be more than happy to get the far superior peel ply version for only $50 more. ;)
I would expect that to be easier to get ahold of just on the basis that an extra $50 is enough to trim the semi-interested (or budget conscious) out of the picture.

That said, while I prefer Ply-peel CF to all the other kinds of CF it's (for me) of absolutely no benefit over G10. The grip is similar, strength is a non-topic, and black (while classy) is somewhat boring. If you prefer CF to other materials though the added cost is a drop in the bucket . :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

fanglekai wrote:How many people do you think are on amazon or ebay right now? How many people use google? How much bandwidth does youtube use?

It's not about the technology, it's about the cost. A small company like Spyderco can't afford that kind of web hosting (and really doesn't need it, of course), but it does exist. In the future it would be better to see releases done on separate days. That would decrease the server load and hopefully prevent the type of issue like the one we saw yesterday. Aside from that, their webmaster needs to take a look at things.
Right. Spyderco's site is totally adequate for a normal business day, but they're not running on Amazon level technology designed to handle thousands of orders an hour. Hopefully the technology will continue to improve. Releasing the Mule separately may have helped too, but traffic would still have been high.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

gbelleh wrote:...Releasing the Mule separately may have helped too, but traffic would still have been high.
True, but they were able to consolidate shipping for many of us whom only planned to buy one mule. This seems (although chaotic on the day of ordering) logical for the overall logistics related to getting knives out to us.
*Landon*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, I was glad the Mule was available too. I might not have gotten one, but adding it to my Native order (and all with free shipping) was hard to resist.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Free shipping was an outstanding bonus!
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:Free shipping was an outstanding bonus!
A nice surprise indeed!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

If I'd had to order the mule on a separate day, I might not have got it. All this metallurgy is new to me and it's not a metal that I've done a lot of thinking about. I'm more interested in Japanese metal and CPM at the moment, but since I was ordering anyway, I couldn't resist -- I figured I'd learn more and get more interested later.

Likewise there may have been people who primarily wanted the mule but thought, what the heck, since I'm ordering I may as well get the forum knife as well. I haven't seen any figures on the number of mules purchased, but I would wager that the number of people gaming the system to find out how many knives remained had a greater effect on the slowdown than the MT17P purchases ;)

Edit: Just got my shipping notice and tracking number :D
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:Free shipping was an outstanding bonus!
What !?!? You mean I missed out on free shipping too :mad:

Just kidding :p :D
Wasn't Spyderco's fault, and now I'll have more money for the next cool knife !
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

DougC-3 wrote:I haven't seen any figures on the number of mules purchased, but I would wager that the number of people gaming the system to find out how many knives remained had a greater effect on the slowdown than the MT17P purchases ;)
So you're saying that a few people checking inventory an hour into the sale were the major cause of the system problems that started almost immediately? :rolleyes:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea the site had some problems. They are a medium-sized maker of high quality production knives, not an e-commerce company. I've even seen tech companies prepare for a rush and get knocked straight on their face...like every video game company that launches a big title after bragging about their tech and hardware improvements. :rolleyes:

It seems to me, due to a lack of screaming and blood, that most people who wanted one got one (or 2). In 2009 it was a catastrophe. The wailing could be heard around the world :( . Given that it was a CPM-110v knife for $150 with free shipping I figured it would be straight out of Apocalypto.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

The admins started a thread after only 23 minutes saying that this was a major factor in the slowdown. Apparently it was more than a "few" people, and they started very early in the process.
"Please also avoid needlessly entering random/high quantities into a cart for either item to try and determine how many are left. We do not load the full inventory into the site system. The number of people doing that though is phenomenal and it is taking resources away from people trying to order."
Again, at 9:23 after only 23 minutes... and it took awhile to open the thread and type the message.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Cannot believe they are gone. This is garbage.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

wow touchy touchy lol. I was talking about everyone. and now ill talk about you...... I think your attitude sucks. they released an awesome knife and people want to critique it. Do you really think they didn't see the issues and aren't going to implement something to make it smoother next time? get the F over yourself. Oh, and if you don't like the fan boys..... I'm sure you can find the door ;) .

ordering for me didn't take very long, I received the same error message and in under 5 minutes I was in business after hitting the refresh btton a few times. Companies can ALWAYS make improvements but what they don't like is being kicked when their down.... just like most people.

I for one am very thankful to have 2 of these coming to me and im sure spyderco will do everything in the future to correct what they saw was an issue.
salimoneus wrote:Are you referring to my comments about the server issues? I'm not complaining, but merely offering some thoughts on how future problems like that can be avoided. Not everyone wears rose colored glasses all the time, even when it comes to our beloved Spyderco. I prefer to see both the bad and the good. The fact is there was a failure here, and some customers got stressed out and probably even upset. I was one of the customers who sat and retried for 45 minutes before being able to get my order through, although I was only mildly irritated as this ain't my first rodeo. How long were you prevented from ordering again?

It's fanboys like you who think Spyderco can do no wrong are the reason some companies feel they do not need to make improvements. Why not try to ensure this does not happen again? It's in the company's best interest.
angusW

Post by angusW »

ZL1 wrote: ;)
Hey, keep your mind on the knife :D
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies