2013 Spyderco Forum Knife Native5 - C41GPGR5 - RELEASE INFO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

buckthorn wrote:Kristi
I looked through this thread and didn't see this question asked: Can you ship to an address in New York State that is Upstate and not even close to New York City?
I'm afraid since it is a locking folding knife it will fall under the New York State restriction and we will not be able to ship it to any address in the state of NY.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

TazKristi wrote:I'm afraid since it is a locking folding knife it will fall under the New York State restriction and we will not be able to ship it to any address in the state of NY.
Kristi
:( Looks like I'll have to skirt the system again.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

kbuzbee wrote:I have no idea what that is, Gordon. For all the myriad of things Google does, to me they are a search engine...

Ken
They're forums. Like this one. I often fail to find posts I wrote myself. Crazy.

Gordon
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

If anyone in US locations unable to receive direct shipments could use the assistance of a relay shipper, I would be happy to offer my services for just the cost of shipping, and for this item only. I will not ship to prohibited-by-law locations. Please contact via PM for more info.
redfeenix

Post by redfeenix »

Late to the party, can't say this enough...thank you Sal & Co.!!!!!! Super excited for this :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Life is short, so buy knives while you can!:D

:spyder: Chaparral CF, Sage 1,Delica 4, Black Caly Jr ZDP (2x), Black Caly Jr. Spyderedge, Burgundy Caly Jr, Gray Caly Jr, Air, Native 5 Ti, Native 5 Forum 2013, Smallfly :spyder:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

einstein2001 wrote: :( Looks like I'll have to skirt the system again.
Not sure I'd post that in public... :( It puts Spyderco in a jam.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

A little more than a week left.
I am ready.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

JNewell wrote:Not sure I'd post that in public... :( It puts Spyderco in a jam.
I hear ya, but I'm sure he's thinking along the lines of having it shipped to somewhere legal like an uncle in Jersey. Nothing on Spyderco's end that'll put them at risk. I can't fault him for trying, it would suck to live in places like NY and Australia as a knife enthusiast.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

I Came back to snag one. Or two...
:)
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Just read these are a limited edition? How many are going to be made?
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

JNewell wrote:Not sure I'd post that in public... :( It puts Spyderco in a jam.
All I mean is Ill have it shipped to a family member outside of NYS and have them bring it to me. Nothing illegal or wrong, just inconvenient.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

einstein2001 wrote:All I mean is Ill have it shipped to a family member outside of NYS and have them bring it to me. Nothing illegal or wrong, just inconvenient.
Sorry, misunderstood. :spyder:
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Does anyone know what hardness they're running the s110v at?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Brummie wrote:Does anyone know what hardness they're running the s110v at?
Probably the best write-up and speculation thus far.
Phil Wilson wrote:Just to get back to the original question and to put a little perspective on this discussion. The original poster asked what hardness to expect from a Spyderco CPMS110V production knife. This is all speculation but I am going to speculate based on my experience and what I know about this grade. It is going to be very close to what they do on CPM S90V. Probably RC 60 or maybe 61 at the highest. Over the years I have been working with this steel I have managed to get some up to 64 or so like the knife that Jim and Mastiff have. This knife was ground very thin and was a kind of test knife for me. I broke a dime size piece out of it with very aggressive whittling on bamboo. I got some twist into it and found the limits of the blade. I reground that knife, still pretty thin and sent it to Jim to test. You have seen his test results. In order to get to 64 it takes a very high initial soak temperature, a very quick quench down to room temp, a subzero with LN2 and a temper at the high end, in the range of 900 to 1000 F. Since the subzero has taken care of the retained austenite there is really no hardness bump but the hardness is not reduced much, maybe only a point at most. According to Crucible some ductility and some corrosion resistance is lost due to the high temperature. This is especially true at the 64rc or so range. I have moved away from the high end temper and now use the low end. I like the properties better but I end up with 62/62.5/63 as the highest hardness here since I want a good stress relief and modification of the martensite. This steel is very quench rate sensitive so in a production process and depending on the equipment and controls it is likely that the initial as quenched hardness is going to be about 62. Any tempering at all and you are down to 60/61 at best. Keep in mind that I do one knife blade at a time and can change some things if I do not get what I am shooting for. I can see an edge holding difference between RC 60 and 63 but it is on the order of 20- 25% and I think that is a good trade off for added ductility and corrosion resistance, especially in a production knife. I think if it ends up at 60 or so then we should thank Spyderco for taking this one on and making a great steel grade available on a production basis. This stuff is also still very expensive and a challenge to grind and finish. Phil

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ness/page3
Senate

Post by Senate »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Just read these are a limited edition? How many are going to be made?
usually between 300 and 600.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I have a question.

Is it possible to get a forum knife without the clip installed or the clip installed for left side tip up carry?

The reason is because when the clip is installed and then moved, it marks the G10 and you can see where the clip was. On most knives I wouldn't care. On this one I'd prefer no marks.
darkangel55555

Post by darkangel55555 »

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html I guess I'm staying up late Thursday night.

And yes, FCM415, Australia does suck. Guess it's time to explore fixed blades. Mules!

EDIT: A big thank you to Sal, Taz, and all the other great folks at Spyderco making this possible! :D :spyder: :D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Here's how it's happening:

I'm off Wednesday and Thursday, I'm going to play some Hold 'Em with a couple buddies at the house, kick them out around 1am, catch a good buzz, pass out at 4am... Wake up at 8am Pacific, order two forums and two mules then yell to myself YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Go to the forums and post about the order, then proceed back to bed for the rest of the afternoon.

Barring any crap this is exactly how it's going down.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Thanks!!
In Search of:
Q Knife - Eastern Mountain Sports E.M.S. variation or New York,
Spyderco B03 SzaboFly, Carbon Fiber Civilian SE right/left handed
coffeeman

Post by coffeeman »

Can we all say; WOW Spyderco, Thanks!
I hate that I have to pass on this. I have another neck surgery coming up in a month and can't afford to spend the money. I really wish I could, but being out of work for 6-8 weeks does not leave much, even though as important as the new Forum Knife. Someone please post a series of pictures opening the package when it arrives. That way I can live vicariously.
Special thanks to Bill W. for all of his inspiration and guidance.

Do you know Bill ?

One :spyder: for all and all :spyder: forum one!