The Civilian expirience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

The Civilian expirience

Post by twinboysdad »

So I have gifted many Spydies to friends and family. I have a great brick and mortar that has allowed me to handle lots of off the beaten path models. However I have never handled the Civie, Mat 2 and Lil Mat yes but the real McCoy no. So my sister (I gifted an orange Dodo to by the way) had a real need to get more serious about SD and her and her husband will not have guns in their home at the present. I recommended a Civie and she got it and has loved it. I visited them for the first time in 2 years and kept asking to see it but with 5 boys under the age of 6 running around it was never good. So last night after a wonderful meal and lots of booze, I remembered and she obliged. And I got bit for the first time by a knife in a LONG time. Went to bed with a bloody finger! I will have to get one at some point, what a freaking knife! I think those serrations are the most aggressive ever made. My cut was from 3 teeth and lined up perfectly and I barely touched my finger. An aggressive swipe with that knife on flesh would have to resemble a chainsaw accident...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Still need to get me one of those. I have a matriarch 2 and man it's a worker.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

:D did the same with my matriach two and the thing is if you just get a little ting.
It leaves two tiny dots that look like ....a spider bite :D .
I'd have asked if that had an influence on the company name but I know it didn't .
The serrations line up like two fangs and just a tiny scuff and the bite marks are there .
Also as well as paper cuts I test out clothing to see how the blade goes through across etc.
And I've read that people think it would snag uh uh .
Two layers of denim thick sheets of leather , wool you name it.
The only thing I could see it snagging on is a studded garment like a belt but unless you are at the blue oyster bar when you need to use in SD.
I'd worry not ;) .
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

I still carry a Civilian, deeply concealed, on a regular basis. Even though my (rather limited) blade training, since acquiring my pair of Civilians, has been more point-driven, the slim compactness of a Civi makes it effortless to carry, and its methodology is quite intuitive, so it still has a place in my life.

Yes, I did, indeed, say "slim compactness" in reference to the Spyderco Civilian. A Spyderco Temperance fixed-blade, or a Strider AR folder, is starting to get just a bit chunky. ;)
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

And so the lesson is don't handle Civilians after drinking as much as you did. ;)
~ Nate