Screw the Southard. . .

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Donut wrote:From what I've read on forums, it seems like some people are OCD about cleaning certain things.

He did offer to buy the parts he lost.
Exactly! People seem to keep missing the part where he takes responsibility for losing the screw and says he looking to BUY a new screw.

As for me, I've always been a curious fellow and I like to take perfectly functioning things apart to see how they work.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

The Deacon wrote:one must accept the responsibility for one's incompetence rather than blaming (or at least appearing to blame) the manufacturer.
Maybe I'm just getting dumb as I get older, but where the the OP ever blame ANYONE? This place is sometimes way to quick to jump to the company's defense when there is nothing to defend. The guy just asked where to get a screw and said he hadn't heard back from Spyderco yet - what is the problem with that post?
Barman

Post by Barman »

Will someone please just ship this guy a screw and put an end to this.... :rolleyes:
sal

Post by sal »

The thread does seem to have some misunderstanding. I'm sure we'll send him what he needs on Monday. Chilll pill?

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

cevtv wrote:Maybe I'm just getting dumb as I get older, but where the the OP ever blame ANYONE? This place is sometimes way to quick to jump to the company's defense when there is nothing to defend. The guy just asked where to get a screw and said he hadn't heard back from Spyderco yet - what is the problem with that post?
The snippet you elected to quote out of context was an attempt to clarify for Tom a statement made by Brian.

As for the rest. Hypothetical question. Imagine a sports bar. The name of the bar is "Team X's Dugout". The bar is themed in Team X's colors. It has autographed photos of their entire roster, past and present, on the walls. The owner is a former manger of theirs. One of their current players is a guy named "Joe Cool" Image there's a decent sized crowd in bar. Now, imagine that a man walks in and the first words out of his mouth are "Screw Joe Cool". What kind of response do you think he'll get?

Now I'm sure the OP will say he meant to title his thread "How can I get a screw for the Southard" and perhaps he did. But, in the end, that's not what he wrote and you can't blame people for responding to what he did write.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

"Screw the Southard" was pretty obviously meant to be an amusing play on words. You people need to remove the sticks from your hind ends.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Well guys, My Southard is out of use since I can't get the blasted thing apart due to loctite. It's full of grout making the action gritty and it's waaaaaaaay off center, but I can't disassemble it to fix it :p and my sng gets caked with stuff like steel dust on a daily basis, I can never get it as clean rinsing the pivot as I can taking it apart and cleaning all the crud out :)
SpyderQ

Re: Screw the Southard. . .

Post by SpyderQ »

Sorry for the super late response - totally forgot about this post. Anyways, YES, I did receive the screws from Spyderco free of charge, even though I offered to buy them. They even threw in a few extra screws! Absolutely LOVE the Southard and Spyderco and own several. High quality at an affordable price with outstanding customer service. THANKS AGAIN!!!
SpyderQ

Re:

Post by SpyderQ »

sal wrote:Hi SpyderQ,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your dilemma. Also sorry that your first post had to be somewhat negative. I'm sure that Charlynn in Customer service will be able to help you. Patiience is awonderful personality trait.

sal
Sorry for my late response and thank you for your response. Yes, I received the replacement screws, plus a few extra ones, which delighted me. I think a few people thought I was blasting the Southard or your company based on the title of my post "Screw the Southard". Nothing could be further from the truth as the title was simply a sarcastic play on words. I actually LOVE your knives/company and the outstanding customer service. THANK YOU!!!
SpyderQ

Re:

Post by SpyderQ »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:Just curious, besides your knife, what other tools do you regularly take-apart to clean? Guns? Power Tools? Fishing Reels? Wristwatch? And if so, what do you do when you loose or damage a part? Why was disassembly necessary to clean your Southard? Do you feel that it is Spyderco's obligation to provide parts free of charge when your actions were in complete violation to their warranty? (http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10) If not, what do you feel would be a fair charge for this service? Once again, I am just asking and not trying to cause bad feelings or make you look foolish. I am just trying to understand this phenomenon and compulsion of many formites to take-apart their knives subsequently loosing parts, stripping screws, reassembling incorrectly, only to then use this forum to complain that Spyderco is somehow at fault and should be expected to correct the situation gratis and expeditiously. This seems to be a reoccurring theme based on the numerous threads just in the last six months alone. Where is the ELU’s responsibility? Where is the dealer's responsibility? What other industries, making high-end tools, offer an unlimited warranty? And should knife companies offer such unconditional warranties? I look forward to a candid, insightful discussion.
Brian, sorry for the late response. I forgot about this post. Anyways, I will try and address your questions in order:

- Just curious, besides your knife, what other tools do you regularly take-apart to clean? - Almost all my tools and gear that require cleaning and maintenance. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you.

- And if so, what do you do when you loose or damage a part? I first try to locate the part locally then online if unsuccessful.

- Why was disassembly necessary to clean your Southard? It had become dirty while using outdoors. Mud had gotten into the pivot area and affected the action.

- Do you feel that it is Spyderco's obligation to provide parts free of charge when your actions were in complete violation to their warranty? No. That is why I offered to pay for them.

- If not, what do you feel would be a fair charge for this service? Not sure about this one.

In regards to your not understanding why people take apart their knives, let me provide a scenario for you and you decide what the best course of action would be.

Scenario:

You are in the backyard doing light yard duty and drop your knife in the mud. You retrieve it and finish your task. Once inside you clean the knife as best you can. Unfortunately, the mud has gotten into the pivot area and now affects the opening and closing action of the knife. WHAT DO YOU DO?

IMO - I disassemble the knife and give it a thorough cleaning and lube. Sometimes sh*t happens and you loose hardware. And yes, I do keep loose hardware in a magnetic tray, but again sh*t sometimes happens and you loose a piece. Hence the reason behind my original post.

:-)
MacLaren

Re: Screw the Southard. . .

Post by MacLaren »

Alls I know is that Kristi,Cherylyn and the rest of the crew are just super helpful. They've came to my aid more than once. Spyderco will always have my loyalty.