GT's next knife!(?)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GTPowers

GT's next knife!(?)

Post by GTPowers »

I try to make decisions on my own
This forum can get flooded with "next knife" poles, which I find tedious.
So what I have tried to do is research my bum off AND THEN ask the community.

We've recently moved and en masse process of packing/unpacking, I found an d wallet with an Amazon gift card for 25$. Now that isn't pocket change but isn't enough to get me a screaming deal on, say a Military or Sage but is good enough to get me into the 50$ range without eroding my relationship with my wife and inlaws.

I've narrowed my choices down to two, from twelve or so.
First, the translucent version of the Manix2, my favorite model.
Second, a ZDP-189 Dragonfly, which isn't a model I own or a steel I've tried.

SO, here is my rational. I've recently become acquainted with my new Lansky sharpening system and have made some solid ground in sharpening technique. ZDP, previous to that, would have stood as an impossibility for me to keep sharp. Now I trust myself much more than before. The Manix2 obviously does not come in ZDP but a less "shinny" or special steel (in my book anyway).

The problem. I love the Manix2 and the CBL that knife would find a good home in my pants. Yes, my pants. The Dragonfly is unknown territory for me and falls into a totally different category. I have, now, equal parts sub 3 and +3 sized blades so size isn't a pushing factor.
Green is my favorite color. So there's that, I guess we have that.
SO, what say you, community? You have all the power over my wallet at this point.

Cheers,
GT
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Manix 2 uses what? S30V I believe? It's not a bad steel by any means. I don't think steel is very important. Obviously, it matters to some extent, but once we're talking VG10, S30V, ZDP-189, CTS-XHP, and such, all of these steels are overqualified for common EDC tasks. If your job requires you to break down miles of cardboard every day, well then disregard what I say. but for me, my EDC tasks are gentle enough that it doesn't matter. It'd be like comparing two racecars when all you intend to do is drive around town. Not saying that's a bad thing, just in my opinion, steel is not as important as the knife itself. If you love the Manix 2 and know you would use it, I would not buy a Dragonfly purely because it has ZDP steel. I'm not sure where you stand on the dragonfly, but if it were me, I would pretend they were the same steel, and then ask myself which one I want. Steel doesn't always matter, but the shape of the handle, the blade, and the lock plays a prominent part in EDC.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Well the FRN or w/e version of the Manix2 uses CTS-BD1, which as I understand is a solid steel. That would be fine for my uses but I've seen too many rave over ZDP-189 to ignore it.
So, that at least is the reason for my steel pickiness.
-GT
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own both. If you already have a Manix (I have two), I'd recommend going with the ZDP dragonfly. I've been very pleasantly surprised at the capability packed into that little knife.
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

I carry smaller knives most of the time & the Dragonfly 2 with FRN handle & ZDP-189 is my favorite for actual use. It is extremely lightweight so that I can carry it without even noticing it & the size is large enough for everyday urban tasks. When I bought this knife, I took my Victorinox Manager off of my keychain which left me with a lighter keychain to carry in my pockets & a more useful knife that goes with me everywhere.

I have wanted a knife with the ball bearing lock to try, but have avoided buying heavy knives since I don't end up using them. The lightweight Manix is great because of its combination of a full size blade (for me) with an extremely light weight for the size.

Both are fantastic knives and represent a solid value. I would choose between them mostly based on your preferences for size & weight. If I had to choose one, it would be the Dragonfly. The combination of utility, ease of carry, and high end steel is awesome.

Here is a quick pic for comparison with my newest arrival, the Tattoo.

[ATTACH]22246[/ATTACH]
Attachments
photo_small.jpg
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

I think, after reading that Quattro98, I'm leaning heavy on the Dragonfly. With my gift card I can pick it up for the price of a Ladybug in ZDP!
connor

Post by connor »

@GT

If you can sharpen to a decent edge you can sharpen ZDP-189 to that edge, too. It just takes a good bit longer.
Dragonfly is a rather small knife, Manix 2 is quite the contrary of that. :)
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'
Holland

Post by Holland »

DFly2 is one of my favourite knives! its small but has amazing cutting performance! I would highly recommend trying one out
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'd definitely go for the Dragonfly in ZDP-189--especially if you've never had a D'fly or a knife in ZDP-189. I didn't think that ZDP-189 was worth all the hype until I purchased the ZDP-189 Manbug. Wow. :eek: This particular steel can get wickedly sharp. You certainly won't be disappointed!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

The Dragonfly 2, in any of its variations, but especially in FRN/ZDP-189 is really a great daily tool. There are lots of knives that are bigger, more interesting looking, and more "tactical" but for things I actually use a knife for, it works great. The light weight makes it hard to want to carry anything else for me.

Recently, I've bought some traditional slip joint knives which have brass or nickel silver liners & bolsters with natural handles. These look nice, but are heavier, don't have a pocket clip, don't lock, and need two hands to open. I knew all of this when I bought them, but when I started carrying them, I missed the extreme practicality of the Dragonfly. I will likely use the traditional knives for when I wear less casual clothes, but even then, the back lock of the Dragonfly provides a strong closed detent so I have safely carried it in my pocket (unclipped) without fear of opening, as happens with liner locks.
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

I think this seals it.
Dragonfly2 in ZDP-189 is on its way!