S90V Military!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Orangeneck

S90V Military!!

Post by Orangeneck »

Dealer exclusive with blue G10 is up for pre-order with no limit for $270 at dealer known for blue M390 PM2. May get 1 despite high price.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Wow, quite unexpected... Not cheap IMO, but I'm sure this one will make many people happy...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Full pre-pay, obscene price, and basically promising to have as little customer service as possible, and no refunds no matter what.

I think I'll pass.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

Totally unexpected. To bad it's way overpriced. I'll stick with the Cruwear Sprint. I'd never pre-pay with full price and not have a cancellation option.
Invective

Post by Invective »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:Full pre-pay, obscene price, and basically promising to have as little customer service as possible, and no refunds no matter what.

I think I'll pass.
Yeah this is what I was thinking. I'm sure they'll sell out no problem but selling them at what seems to be MSRP is rather high and annoying on a dealer exclusive.

Spyder-fan wrote:Totally unexpected. To bad it's way overpriced. I'll stick with the Cruwear Sprint. I'd never pre-pay with full price and not have a cancellation option.
Yup this is what I was planning to do. CruWear on my Millie and pick up some S90V with a Yo2 from KW and I'll be happy. I'd shop at BBS a lot more if they had reasonable prices but as it stands now they're too much for me.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

So if they oversold, no refunds?
How does that work?
Seems like a sketchy site to have the prettiest blues :o
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Yeah, I think I will pass on that one! Dont care for their terms!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Something should be done by Spyderco with the way BBB does their pricing. They should not allow them to have exclusives the way they gouge their prices. That sham of a website is only in business because of these exclusives. Horrible. Im gonna email BBB and give them a piece of my mind. 270 plus shipping, no returns, what the **** man?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Maybe if it was peel-ply CF(s30v,BG42,S90v,M390), but G10, no thanks. I believe the M390 CF was around $220.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't see how it's "overpriced" for lack of comparables. Sure it's more expensive than some exclusives but that is the right of the shop that ponies up the capital to make it happen. It's a ton of S90v and G10 and in general sprints seem to be priced more aggressive than exclusives.

Frankly, watching people throw down $140+ on normal production (albeit scarce) Para2's on eBay being able to secure this tool seems attractive. I happily bought my M4 Manix2 from them and would shop again if something enticed me. :) It's especially nice compared to the rat race these knives tend to generate.

FCM415 wrote:Something should be done by Spyderco with the way BBB does their pricing. They should not allow them to have exclusives the way they gouge their prices. That sham of a website is only in business because of these exclusives. Horrible. Im gonna email BBB and give them a piece of my mind. 270 plus shipping, no returns, what the **** man?
Spyderco lists the CPM-S30v Military G10 at $249.95 MSRP. So the logic of charging $30 more than MSRP (what many Brick and mortar stores do) doesn't seem like shaking hands with the Devil.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

**** this really sucks. If it were any other retailer I'd probably jump on this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Whatever, I'm an easy guy when it comes to many topics but I'm standing my ground on this one. It's absolute BS.

No returns/refunds, pay for shipping, pay for insurance option... What does that mean? If your 270 dollar Millie disappears in the mail it's your fault you didn't pay insurance? Also, after taxes and everything, it's $300 for a brand new Military if shipped within CA.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Blerv wrote:I don't see how it's "overpriced" for lack of comparables. Sure it's more expensive than some exclusives but that is the right of the shop that ponies up the capital to make it happen. It's a ton of S90v and G10 and in general sprints seem to be priced more aggressive than exclusives.

Spyderco lists the CPM-S30v Military G10 at $249.95 MSRP. So the logic of charging $30 more than MSRP (what many Brick and mortar stores do) doesn't seem like shaking hands with the Devil.
Yeah ok, it's their right to sell it for $1000 each I suppose. But I'm saying that Spyderco should offer these exclusives to other dealers first, if they did already and BBB was the only one willing then sorry it's my fault but I look at it this way, they sell their Para2 AND Military sprints for drastically more than any other dealer. I hope that there will be many like me who will vote with my wallet and pass. Lack of comparables? The recent green PM2 sprint sold for $140 from KW, while the Blue PM2 is over $200 after shipping and taxes. Want more comparables? The Grey Millie sprint will be $140, the BBB S90v Millie will be $300 after taxes and shipping. Yeah yeah yeah, S90v is more expensive but this is obscene. I'll catch heat for this but someone has to speak up. Can't wait for more defending of their pricing on their entire website. "Don't like it don't buy it" That's right, I don't.

I understand that their turnaround is much smaller than other dealers, but we shouldn't have to suffer because of that, especially when it is their fault that they don't get much traffic on their site with those prices.
-Leonard Nimoy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What it boils down to is this particular retailer knows they have buyers by the balls. They're eliminating the secondary market and just selling things at inflated prices new instead of through a secondary buyer. Basically they're beating the flippers at their own game, and in a way that sort of makes me laugh. They know if they bring out an exclusive like this, it's like printing their own money, and even with a policy like theirs they can get away with over selling and not giving refunds because people will be baited hard enough to try in the first place. It's a butthole move, but it's a smart money making butthole move (not that I support it).

What bothers me the most is that Spyderco can't keep up with the production of standard models but they have time to crank out a dealer exclusive. On one hand I appreciate the exclusive a LOT, but I do sort of wish they would focus more on getting the usual suspects back in stock and readily available before they do the limited runs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

That's going to be one awesome knife, and they certainly have the 'right' to charge whatever they want, , , , ,but for some reason this just doesn't set right with me. Kind of like 'pay us now, with no guarantee you're actually gonna get your knife,' etc, etc. Like I said, nothing explicitly wrong with what they're doing, but it just doesn't seem to be a very professional way of doing things.
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Evil D wrote:What it boils down to is this particular retailer knows they have buyers by the balls. They're eliminating the secondary market and just selling things at inflated prices new instead of through a secondary buyer. Basically they're beating the flippers at their own game, and in a way that sort of makes me laugh. They know if they bring out an exclusive like this, it's like printing their own money, and even with a policy like theirs they can get away with over selling and not giving refunds because people will be baited hard enough to try in the first place. It's a butthole move, but it's a smart money making butthole move (not that I support it).

What bothers me the most is that Spyderco can't keep up with the production of standard models but they have time to crank out a dealer exclusive. On one hand I appreciate the exclusive a LOT, but I do sort of wish they would focus more on getting the usual suspects back in stock and readily available before they do the limited runs.
^^^^^this
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Evil D, in regards to your post, I have a thought to humbly offer: If they are able to squeeze in a few sprint runs of these hot knives, they should make those few slots available to someone else first. Not demanding or telling anyone what to do... Just an idea.

Nothing inherently wrong with whatever a site charges for their wares but it is still a douchebag move. I've paid for highly sought after disco'd knives before at market value, I know how it works but still...
-Leonard Nimoy
Invective

Post by Invective »

FCM415 wrote:Something should be done by Spyderco with the way BBB does their pricing. They should not allow them to have exclusives the way they gouge their prices. That sham of a website is only in business because of these exclusives. Horrible. Im gonna email BBB and give them a piece of my mind. 270 plus shipping, no returns, what the **** man?
I remember hearing a story about Spyderco severing ties with a dealer that sold their knives at higher prices than MSRP or something? Anyone else hear a story like that/know if it was true?

I would love to be able to pick up some S90V but at these prices I'll just wait for the KW S90V Yo2 and get it at a lot less. With the 9% CA tax BBS is charging, I'd be paying over $300 for just a pre-order with no guaranteed Arrival Date and no further communications from BBS unless I initiate. And making us pay insurance on our own package, on top of what they're already charging? I'll pass on this and think carefully about other BBS exclusives. At least the pre-orders I have from KC I get an email from about it every few weeks letting me know my order is still being processed and are only going to be charged when it ships.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

If it was just the inflated price, I think I'd just roll my eyes and move on - but the combination of charging flipper-level prices AND the obnoxiously anti-customer terms of the sale really rubs me the wrong way. For Spyderco, a company that prides itself on doing right by the consumer, to continue an exclusive-knife-model relationship with a retailer who is so blatantly anti-customer really boggles my mind.

The sad thing is, people will still snatch these up, rewarding this crappy behavior.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'll pass...