what should I get next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
diesel79

what should I get next?

Post by diesel79 »

Hello, im new to the forum and knives. About 2-3 weeks ago I decided I needed some nice edc blades and decided to go with Spyderco. So far I have a Paramilitary 2, Military, Stretch 2, and a Jason Breeden Rescue on the way. I also picked up a sharpmaker, but im not too good with out yet. Lol I was thinking a wicked edge system would be nice.

I bought my dad a Delica for fathers day as well. He doesn't know a whole lot about nice knives, but he was pretty floored with it.

I'm going to carry these for the next few weeks and maybe pick up one more for the time being. I do like the medium to large blades a little better.

Any suggestions? ( probably a terrible question with a thousand right answers) I really like the PM2. Mine is super smooth and i like everything about it. I would almost like to get another one in camo and dlc blade version as all I have now are black scales and satin steel. If I really like the Breeden rescue I was maybe thinking of picking up another one since they are now discontinued. Decisions, decisions.
Isoforger

Post by Isoforger »

I'm pretty new to Spyderco too, but I love my Manix 2 XL ..... take a look. Great knife!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

diesel,

Welcome to the forums and to one of the best cutlery companies around. You don't waste any time getting a nice jump into a well rounded collection. I think your collection needs more lock variety. You have the liner lock, comp lock, mid-lock and you need to try the CBBL (caged ball-bearing lock) found on the Manix 2, Manix 2 lightweight, Manix 2 XL, and P'kal. The naked BBL is also an interesting one so look into the Dodo, Dallara or Phoenix. Some of the ones I mentioned are discontinued, but you seem to like that.

Personally I would suggest picking up a Caly. I can't say enough great thing about them. It is rapidly becoming my favorite line of the Spydie catalog.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Dragonfly, Native, Starmate, Manix2 XL, Manix2 Translucent Blue Lightweighr, Caly 3.5, Sage1, Sage2, Tenacious, Junior, Small Lum Chinese Folder and Calypso. Those are my favorite Spyderco's and I own one of each. Once you get one of everything you like in the Spyderco catalog it's easy to add the one or new ones you like each year.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Caly 3.5. Trust me. ;)
Holland

Post by Holland »

welcome to the forums! i would recommend a smaller knife to go with your current models like the chaparral1 or 2. also a dragonfly salt would be a good way to round out your collection. If your set on larger knives, the gayle bradley or the southard are worth looking at!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome diesel79, you have a great start with the Military and Paramilitary. I also like the
larger blades for a main carry, but the smaller ones are nice to add in as a second knife
or for rough work, smaller chores etc.

You will get a ton of suggestions, so I would say ...... get them all. I'll toss out a couple
as well, Yojimbo 2, Manix2, and if you like the bigger one, take a look at the Szabo Folder
and the Tuff. They are a little pricier but worth it and are made in Taiwan, but don't let
that fool you, the Taichung plant makes some of the best quality knives anywhere.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Caly 3/3.5 and a Gayle Bradley. Incredible knives on every front.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

diesel79,

Welcome to the Forum.
There are many great Spyderco knives. Out of current production my favorite is Native5. I used to carry bigger knives, but I found that due to great ergos Native5 can handle anything what I need. I carried Caly3.5, which is great knife and highly recommended as well for about two years, but Native5 kicked it out my pocket. For couple reasons I never was a Manix2 fan, but recently I bought black Manix2 LW and I like the knife as well. I can only wish that Spyderco would make a sprint with a little more wear resistant steel. But for $70 this knife is steal as is.
Have fun.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Welcome,

Since you have (and like) the Mili & Para, I'll suggest you hunt down some of the great Sprint Runs these two knives have had. Both have been done in S90V, the Mili in CPM-M4 and the list goes on. Some of these tend to the pricy side (as they are long discontinued) but hunt around and you may find a reasonably priced one.

As for the Wicked Edge, I have one and like it a lot. Pretty much the only way I sharpen these days (though free hand and Edge Pro both have a lot of support here as well)

Ken
玉鋼
diesel79

Post by diesel79 »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have alot of reading to do.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would also recommend a WE it adds. Lot of fun to the hobby
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
diesel79

Post by diesel79 »

I'm thinking I might save up for the WE. I would like the pro kit 1 I think. I do have a Belomo 10x loupe on the way so I can actually see what I'm doing.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The answer to your question is the Caly 3.5

This is the best EDC Knife Spyderco has ever made and definitely the most comfortable knife ever made to carry on a clip.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

diesel79, welcome to the forum. You have a nice start to your collection, as you say you like a larger blade. I would recommend one of your next purchases be a smaller gentlemans knife for when you are all dressed up and need something to just drop into or clip onto your pocket that just disappears. You might not use it alot but it will come in handy when the time is right. I'll recommend a few smaller ones and also a few larger ones. Here you go:

Smaller Choices:
  • Air
  • Centofante Memory
  • Chaparral
  • Techno
  • Manbug (with bolsters)
Larger Choices
  • Vallotton
  • Gayle Bradley (very tough folder)
  • Sage 2 (very high quality)
  • Manix 2
Get good with your Spyderco Sharpmaker then move onto the Wicked Edge. The Sharpmaker will teach you alot about sharpening as you use it and get good at it. We all are not good to start with but practice makes perfect.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
mattman

Post by mattman »

VeloWeave-
Welcome to the forums!

Your sig containing sale items is a no-no...
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

My first choice Vallotton , second Perrin ppt , third matriach 2 .
Smaller blades dragonfly G10 , or a dodo , .
This could be a very long list so ill leave it there but welcome to the madness :D .
Edit: any mule team then you can put your personal stamp on it .
If like me you can't or don't have the tools then get somebody else to build it to your spec ;) .
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Pacific salt... In yellow.. Never thought I would say get a yellow knife. It grows on you. As far as the Wicked edge/ EdgePro, great systems but there is no greater feeling than freehand.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

.357 mag wrote:Pacific salt... In yellow.. Never thought I would say get a yellow knife. It grows on you. As far as the Wicked edge/ EdgePro, great systems but there is no greater feeling than freehand.
I'd 100% agree there but I feel its the best way to get on the ladder.
As you learn to feel mistakes quicker and don't do as much damage than freehand can do .
Before you've realised you've messed up .
But your right its therapeutic I've been on a chamrak all week .
Honing my khukri and its getting very easy to tell by the glide where it needs work.
But I am a self professed novice at freehand and would love to have the skills that freehand requires .
Practice and practice but on cheaper blades or I find as above a kukhuri can be forgiving and good for the recurve technique.
Which I often see people who I know can sharpen freehand still have difficulty with .
endgame

Post by endgame »

G-10 dragonfly or titanium sage a must.allot of the knives mentioned are very hard to find.the g-10 native also great.carbon fiber caly3.u end up wanting them all soon.of coarse the vollaton and lionspy.