Heat treatment of the Taiwanese blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

Yes I like to think of myself as NON ASIAN RACIST, I actually like the japanese and I own a lot of japanese stuff. They are kinky but what a great engineers.

About that->

Nice to see you deciding what another country is. Instead of letting Taiwan decide if they're different, or even trying out their products you just dismiss them because they look like another race. Real progressive thinking right there.

To answer your question, yes, the Taiwanese (and Chinese) plants that build for Spyderco are top notch and I would not hesitate to purchase any model from them. There is a reason Spyderco is working with them. they use only the best workers they can find, or not at all. Spyderco is ont one to skimp on quality in order to hit a price point. If it has the Spyderco name, you can bet that it will be a quality knife and backed by a quality warranty.

I don't dismiss them because they are chinese. I just don't understand how a plant in Taiwan or China whatever could deliver the same quality as in the US? Are chinese people more qualified than the americans? Knives could be assembled well, but what about the heat treatment of the steels? I got no answer about that and we keep speaking crap about the racist thing. You keep putting the thread in that direction maybe because you got nothing else to say, what an excuse, pretty clever. What if the blades are excessively burnt, or requirements of the particular steel not met.
Give me proof that 3V made in Taiwan is better than 3V made in the US by ZT?
A moderate degree of courage joined to great ability will produce greater effects than moderate ability with great courage.
- Carl von Clausewitz

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Spyderco Military Digital Camo CPM-S30V
Spyderco Endura Spyderedge VG-10
Spyderco Matriarch w/ Emerson opener VG-10
Spyderco Resilience 8Cr13MoV
Spyderco Delica Spyderedge ZDP-189
Spyderco Manix XL CPM-S30V
Spyderco Sage Blue Bolt Action CPM-S30V
Spyderco Pacific Salt Yellow Spyderedge H1
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I think everybody has wasted energy even replying to this thread.
There is only one way of getting through to people like this.
And to do so your just lowering yourself to their level .
In this instance I usually find the best way is to completely ignore anything and everything posted in the future.
There's no explanation that justifies any of the statements , clearly posed in such a manner any response will lead to confrontation .
So on that note instead of chucking more wood on the fire .
Its probably best to leave it to pathetically fizzle out ?.
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

It's easy to ignore when you got nothing to say, no knowledge no nothing ;)
A moderate degree of courage joined to great ability will produce greater effects than moderate ability with great courage.
- Carl von Clausewitz

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Spyderco Military Digital Camo CPM-S30V
Spyderco Endura Spyderedge VG-10
Spyderco Matriarch w/ Emerson opener VG-10
Spyderco Resilience 8Cr13MoV
Spyderco Delica Spyderedge ZDP-189
Spyderco Manix XL CPM-S30V
Spyderco Sage Blue Bolt Action CPM-S30V
Spyderco Pacific Salt Yellow Spyderedge H1
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

At least for me, it's very hard to believe this kind of behavior in the XXI century... :confused:
Stay Sharp!
MUAlum2013

Re: Heat treatment of the Taiwanese blades

Post by MUAlum2013 »

I know this is an old thread but Jesus. The ignorance and stupidity of this guy is alarming. Just wanted to say point blank, if Spyderco is working with someone regardless of who and where, you know it's going to be top notch. Its that simple. That's it. Also I wish I could see dudes face. It's 2024 and the amount of fantastic brands from China is at an all time how. I wonder if dude had a stroke seeing all these high quality knives from China do well. **EDITED** - TazKristi
MUAlum2013

Re:

Post by MUAlum2013 »

doctorknife wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:34 pm
It's easy to ignore when you got nothing to say, no knowledge no nothing ;)
You're an idiot.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

doctorknife wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:55 pm
Yo what's up. I was wondering...since I only got 1 Spyderco which is made in Taiwan and I haven't ''really'' used it so far, can you tell me who does the heat treating in Taiwan, and are those steels made good, in particular CPM-S30V and CPM-M4 from Taichung? I don't really trust the chinese people if you know what I mean.

I've got a Contego with a CPM-M4 USA Made and it's hardened to 62-64 HRC and it's such a beast. Should I get a taiwanese CPM-M4 from Spyderco and would I be satisfied? :confused:
It’s a reasonable thing to say that you have concerns about the quality of chinese manufacturing, or QC. It’s also reasonable to have questions about the quality of heat treat from different factories.

It’s quite another to say that you don’t trust chinese people so you think the quality of the product will be bad, and the cherry on top is Taichung in Taiwan, not China so the statement is ignorant on top of everything else wrong with it.

Taiwan and China are different countries with very different cultures, and very different governments, Taiwan is a capitalist democracy renown for the quality of it’s manufacturing and QC. I’ve worked to set up production lines in both countries and they are very different in attitude when setting things up with regards to things like worker safety amongst other things.

Additionally the quality depends on the individual OEM that the customer (spyderco) picks and the quality control standards that are set to accept product from the OEM. I’d trust a spyderco knife from anywhere for HT over a ZT, medford, or Hinderer. I’d take Cold Steel’s 3V from Taiwan over Benchmade’s 3V heat treated in the US, testing had confirmed cold steel’s to be better. Quality can come from nearly anywhere these days, it depends on the customer (the knife company) to create quality control standards for what they will accept from any particular OEM. A Gayle Bradley 1 (and 2) from Taichung has been tested at around 62.5- 63.5HRC by forum members if that answers your question.

In the future please just check the HRC database in the forum rather making a racist post.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

***** This thread is almost 11 years old!!!*****

Members back then handled it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Kristi,

sal