Heat treatment of the Taiwanese blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
doctorknife

Heat treatment of the Taiwanese blades

Post by doctorknife »

Yo what's up. I was wondering...since I only got 1 Spyderco which is made in Taiwan and I haven't ''really'' used it so far, can you tell me who does the heat treating in Taiwan, and are those steels made good, in particular CPM-S30V and CPM-M4 from Taichung? I don't really trust the chinese people if you know what I mean.

I've got a Contego with a CPM-M4 USA Made and it's hardened to 62-64 HRC and it's such a beast. Should I get a taiwanese CPM-M4 from Spyderco and would I be satisfied? :confused:
A moderate degree of courage joined to great ability will produce greater effects than moderate ability with great courage.
- Carl von Clausewitz

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Spyderco Military Digital Camo CPM-S30V
Spyderco Endura Spyderedge VG-10
Spyderco Matriarch w/ Emerson opener VG-10
Spyderco Resilience 8Cr13MoV
Spyderco Delica Spyderedge ZDP-189
Spyderco Manix XL CPM-S30V
Spyderco Sage Blue Bolt Action CPM-S30V
Spyderco Pacific Salt Yellow Spyderedge H1
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

doctorknife wrote:I don't really trust the chinese people if you know what I mean.
Nope don't know what you mean. You know Taiwan is an island off the coast of China right?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Taiwan and China are 2 different countries (unless your in the Chinese government... then you probably wouldn't see it that way). The steel used in Taiwan made knives is shipped from the US (I believe). I'm not sure who does the heat treating.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

doctorknife...
Your racist comments are offensive, and you might want to think long and hard before letting your fingers reach for the keyboard? :mad:

You own quite a few very nice Spyderco knives in your tagline...has Spyderco ever let you down as an individual?
Sal and his company name is on each and every blade...I would like to think that he ensures that quality is upheld, regardless of the actual makers' origins?
Clip

Post by Clip »

Doctorknife, that was a pretty far-reaching statement. And if you cared to search the boards, you'd find that the Taichung fit and finish meets and (IMO) exceeds the build quality of some of Spyderco's other locations.

Also, are you indicating that your Resilience is from Taiwan? Check it again.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

What say we ignore everything about doctorknife's post except the part asking about the blade steels. I choose to believe he didn't mean what he said to the level of how bad it sounded. I think Chuck's reply was perfect. :)
Clip

Post by Clip »

jackknifeh wrote:What say we ignore everything about doctorknife's post except the part asking about the blade steels. I choose to believe he didn't mean what he said to the level of how bad it sounded. I think Chuck's reply was perfect. :)
In that case, to answer the OPs original questions:

Yes they're well-made
Yes you should get one
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

doctorknife wrote:Should I get a taiwanese CPM-M4 from Spyderco and would I be satisfied? :confused:
I have been VERY happy with every knife I've gotten from Taiwan. I don't think they make the steel right there in the factory. :) Their craftsmanship is outstanding. I believe you will be thoroughly satisfied with any knife from there. I haven't been dissatisfied with any Spyderco based on where it was made.

Jack
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

The Gayle Bradley I have is one of the best knives I have ever owned. As was already stated, the fit & finish are every bit as good as those made in the USA, Japan or Germany. Perhaps a bit of geography and history might be in order in your research, before you make further comments on ethnicity, national origin and trust. If you will take the time to read about Taiwan, I think you may decide that their products are worthy of your consideration. Their work ethic puts many nations to shame.
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:doctorknife...
Your racist comments are offensive, and you might want to think long and hard before letting your fingers reach for the keyboard? :mad:

You own quite a few very nice Spyderco knives in your tagline...has Spyderco ever let you down as an individual?
Sal and his company name is on each and every blade...I would like to think that he ensures that quality is upheld, regardless of the actual makers' origins?
Every company in the world has good and bad stuff, let's take Mercedes-Benz, would you say that every each of their models is reliable? Nope and you know it. I have a lot of spydercos but I'm not some blinded fan not to search for the truth. I like other brands too and I have a lot more knives.

About the chinese thing, maybe I'm stupid, but I'll have to lie if I say I believe in that. I simply believe that the guys from the above didn't ate their breakfasts, or they got no BRAIN?

Taiwan (i/ˈtaɪˈwɑːn/ ty-wahn Chinese: 臺灣 or 台灣; pinyin: Táiwān; see below), officially the Republic of China

Originally based in mainland China, the Republic of China now governs the island of Taiwan

That's from Wikipedia. If Taiwan is not China, so Texas must not be in the US.

Wheres racism, I don't see racism. I would prefer a US or German made items everytime. It's called more resources used, more intelligence plus mentality. I'm just being honest.

I do care about the steels and the heat treatment, not only about the design of the knife, like most of the people, obviously... Steels are of course imported but the heat treatment is the most important thing. That's why BUSSEs cost so much and take so much time to make. I asked nicely if the CPM-M4s was properly made because people with no knowledge could ruin it easily and it won't cut and perform like it should. Temperatures, processes it's so complex, it's not like you think it is. Forgot, maybe the regular guy doesn't use his knife for more than salami slicing. Sorry bout that.
A moderate degree of courage joined to great ability will produce greater effects than moderate ability with great courage.
- Carl von Clausewitz

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

doctorknife wrote: I asked nicely if the CPM-M4s was properly made because people with no knowledge could ruin it easily and it won't cut and perform like it should. Temperatures, processes it's so complex, it's not like you think it is. Forgot, maybe the regular guy doesn't use his knife for more than salami slicing. Sorry bout that.
No, you didn't. You asked but included an entirely unnecessary comment which cast aspersions on a whole race of people.
doctorknife wrote:Yo what's up. I was wondering...since I only got 1 Spyderco which is made in Taiwan and I haven't ''really'' used it so far, can you tell me who does the heat treating in Taiwan, and are those steels made good, in particular CPM-S30V and CPM-M4 from Taichung? I don't really trust the chinese people if you know what I mean.

I've got a Contego with a CPM-M4 USA Made and it's hardened to 62-64 HRC and it's such a beast. Should I get a taiwanese CPM-M4 from Spyderco and would I be satisfied? :confused:
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

noseoil wrote:The Gayle Bradley I have is one of the best knives I have ever owned. As was already stated, the fit & finish are every bit as good as those made in the USA, Japan or Germany. Perhaps a bit of geography and history might be in order in your research, before you make further comments on ethnicity, national origin and trust. If you will take the time to read about Taiwan, I think you may decide that their products are worthy of your consideration. Their work ethic puts many nations to shame.
Ok my Benz is assembled in Austria, you get your SSang Yong and enjoy ur life. And I wouldn't start a thread like that if I wasn't considering of getting some new knives. Consideration exists only to be accepted or denied. I'm curious, what do you cut with your knife? I mean what tasks do you do?
chuck_roxas45 wrote:No, you didn't. You asked but included an entirely unnecessary comment which cast aspersions on a whole race of people.
Do you know any good knife custom makers from China? Do they have some revolutionary inventions? They assemble the knives in China because their nation is poor and stupid and they work for 1 bux per day. Sorry if I insulted your race, but again, I'm not a racist, just clinical. Bosch also make their appliances in China now and they break all the time.
- Carl von Clausewitz

DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Image
May I second and third this.
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

May I tell you to keep listening to your idol Justin Beaver and stop spamming on the thread.

I'm starting a giveaway of my knives. Who will tell me how important heat treatment is and what could go wrong? That's too hard to guess maybe. Ok then, how is a good heat treatment achieved? A hint -> a good heat treatment is achieved...in China, sorry Taiwan. In a GARAGE, where a bunch of chinese people use their grandma's stove to heat treat the blades.
- Carl von Clausewitz

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Man was I wrong!

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Wow...this should end badly.
On the hunt for...
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

Man, the whole chinese army is attacking me. Shouldn't I defend myself? It's called self-defence. I didn't attack nobody. Sorry but I take my words back and I wont mention North korea either because Ill get a nuke warhead headed my home then

No one to back me up, no true patriots here, nah?
- Carl von Clausewitz

Invective

Post by Invective »

doctorknife wrote:I don't really trust the chinese people if you know what I mean.
doctorknife wrote:It's called more resources used, more intelligence plus mentality. I'm just being honest.

doctorknife wrote: Do you know any good knife custom makers from China? Do they have some revolutionary inventions? They assemble the knives in China because their nation is poor and stupid and they work for 1 bux per day. Sorry if I insulted your race, but again, I'm not a racist, just clinical. Bosch also make their appliances in China now and they break all the time.
doctorknife wrote:in China, sorry Taiwan. In a GARAGE, where a bunch of chinese people use their grandma's stove to heat treat the blades.
Are you absolutely sure you're not a racist? Pretty much every one of your comments says otherwise.
doctorknife wrote: Taiwan (i/ˈtaɪˈwɑːn/ ty-wahn Chinese: 臺灣 or 台灣; pinyin: Táiwān; see below), officially the Republic of China

Originally based in mainland China, the Republic of China now governs the island of Taiwan

That's from Wikipedia. If Taiwan is not China, so Texas must not be in the US.
Nice to see you deciding what another country is. Instead of letting Taiwan decide if they're different, or even trying out their products you just dismiss them because they look like another race. Real progressive thinking right there.

To answer your question, yes, the Taiwanese (and Chinese) plants that build for Spyderco are top notch and I would not hesitate to purchase any model from them. There is a reason Spyderco is working with them. they use only the best workers they can find, or not at all. Spyderco is ont one to skimp on quality in order to hit a price point. If it has the Spyderco name, you can bet that it will be a quality knife and backed by a quality warranty.
tomd1107

Post by tomd1107 »

Dont feed the trolls.