First Impression: Dragonfly 2 FRN SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
appliancejunk

First Impression: Dragonfly 2 FRN SE

Post by appliancejunk »

After a long day of work I come home to find my Dragonfly in the mailbox. :D

I have to say that at first I was a little disappointed. Having EDC'ed my Delica for just over a month it was natural that I started to compare the two.

The Dragonfly did not seem to open as smooth as the Delica, not that there is anything wrong with the Dragonfly as it open's just fine, but it just don't have the same smooth feel. I know the Delica has washers and the Dragonfly does not, so I guess the washers really do make a difference.

The next thing I noticed is the weight of the Dragonfly. I thought my Delica was light weight, the Dragonfly is so light weight IMHO at first it seem to have a cheap feel to it being so light weight.

Then there are the scales on the Dragonfly. Even though they are the same type of scales as my blue Delica 4 there just is not as much scale material to get the same type of grip on the knife when pulling it out of my pocket, if that makes sense.

The Dragonfly pocket clip also seems so small that I wonder if it will stay clipped to my pocket as well as my Delica.

Anyway the above are my first impressions after a long day...

This morning I have the Dragonfly clipped to my pocket in place of my Delica.

The smaller size is nice when it's clipped to my pocket. I also carry my iphone5 in the same pocket and well reaching in to get my phone this morning I notice the extra room I have for my hand as it's in my pocket.

There have already been a few times that I have had to double check to make sure the Dragonfly is still clipped to my pocket as it's so much smaller and lighter then my Delica. Still not sure if that's a good thing or not.

If I end up liking the Dragonfly I may give the G10 version a try as I expect it would have just a little more hefty feel to it.

Could I also expect the G10 scales on the Dragonfly to have a bit of grip to them or are they smooth feeling?
:spyder: Ladybug 3 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue FRN FG
:spyder: Sharpmaker

EDC Knife: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
EDC Flashlight: Fenix LD12 XP-G2
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I like my dragonfly. I to felt the same way about it when first got it mostly because it didn't have the reach the delica had. Being so light and small it makes a great second carry blade. I carry mine along with my pacific salt. Great combo!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Given your first impressions, my guess is that you would *love* the G10 version.

I was hesitant to spend that much money on a knife that size, but I'm so glad I did. It just really feels well built. It definitely is heavier than the FRN version. Feels very solid.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would love to see the Dfly bumped up in size to match the Delica. That would be an awesome knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think the Dragonfly is probably my pick for the Spyderco knife that best embodies the mantra "simplify and add lightness." It is smaller and lighter, but for those who appreciate efficiency, doing more with less, it's a brilliant design. The G-10 Dragonfly is heavier, and the ones I've handled seem to be put together with a little more care. If it's the size you like, but the lightness you don't, then you'll love the G-10 model.
Evil D wrote:I would love to see the Dfly bumped up in size to match the Delica. That would be an awesome knife.
Same here!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Evil D wrote:I would love to see the Dfly bumped up in size to match the Delica. That would be an awesome knife.
Would be pretty close to a Caly 3, don't you think? ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

D1omedes wrote:Would be pretty close to a Caly 3, don't you think? ;)
Yeah maybe, but the ergonomics would be different. There are a few knives in the lineup that are really similar and only have ergonomic differences separating them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have large hands. I used to carry a large knife on a regular basis. Then I discovered a small Manbug G10 so I carried it along with a large knife. I liked it so much, I looked around to see what else I could find. I do not like knives without liners. So when I discovered the G10 DF, I bought one and it has replaced my larger knives for daily carry. Now the only times I carry a large knife is when I am out late in an area where I might need it. The G10 DF is very tractable in my hand. It does not slip even when my hands are wet with blood from food prep or fruit juice, and once even oil. So, my thinking is that if you get the G10 DF you will fall in love with it. It has a more rugged appearance, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It's always good to have an SE dfly around :) This configuration seems to work best for me :)
Attachments
h1dfly.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
endgame

Post by endgame »

You will love the g-10 dfly it is allot heavier then the frn.the fiber glass one with the zdp blade is one of my all time favs.all were very sticky opening at first but they broke in and are smooth as butter now.I likes the g-10 so much I bought another for when the first one goes in for sharpening.I only have the dragonfly with frn handles with h-1 steel and it is superlight cause there are no liners but I wear it around my neck wile fishing and enjoy the lightweight.I have the delica sprint run Damascus I only carry that on special occasions I don't like that it has no pocket clip like the caly damascus wich I carry allot.you might want to give the caly with carbon fiber handle a try that's a very nice knife that's inbetween the other two.
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Does anybody have the Stainless Steel version? How is it?
Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Shakyamuni wrote:Does anybody have the Stainless Steel version? How is it?
I don't own it, but I have handled it. If you like extra weight, less traction, and riveted construction, go for it. If you just want something a little heftier than the FRN version, go for the G10; you don't give up any utility and only add a bit of weight.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BAL

Post by BAL »

OK, so you had a Delica and ordered a Dragonfly, knowing or hopefully
knowing that it was smaller and lighter. Now you are saying that you
don't like it because it is smaller and lighter.

I have no comments after that.
appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

I hear what your saying Bal.

It don't make much sense does it, lol...

I can't be the only person that ever ordered a knife online knowing all the specs and then felt a little disappointed once they got it in their hands.

BAL

Post by BAL »

appliancejunk wrote:I hear what your saying Bal.

It don't make much sense does it, lol...

I can't be the only person that ever ordered a knife online knowing all the specs and then felt a little disappointed once they got it in their hands.
Good answer. I was afraid that I would make you mad, but I didn't know what else to say.
Hey, I have ordered knives and then wasn't as excited as I thought that I would be when
I got them. But without brick and mortars to be able to go in and handle them, you just
have to listen to people on here and then do as much research as you can.

Oh and another point. I also have found out that some knives that I originally think that
I liked, turned out to be a favorite after a little time in the pocket. Some of the "negatives"
that you said about the Dragonfly are actually positives to a certain degree. It's a nice little
knife to carry as a second (or third) knife.

I didn't mean anything negative at ya, just talkin'. It's all good
appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

No worries, it is a nice knife. Just not a replacement for my EDC at this time, but that could change down the road. ;)

akaAK

Post by akaAK »

As for the SS version they are solid little knives. They weigh more and have less traction but as with any of the DFly's the ergos are good enough that it wont slip if you have a good grip. Without the clip they are very slim and disappear into a pocket. That being said I would take my G10 DFly over my SS DFly most days.

The H1 SE DFly is a favourite due to its lightweight, sheeple friendly color, and outstanding cutting ability. I know the reasons why not , but would love one flat ground.
appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

Well just a few days after receiving my first Dragonfly and posting about my disappointment I go and order the Dragonfly G10, I'm I sick or what, lol...

I'm really liking the size and shape of the Dragonfly. I have noticed in the last few days that the Dragonfly handles my daily cutting task just as well as my Delica, but it is more comfortable to carry.

I don't so much notice if I have the Delica or Dragonfly clipped inside my right front pocket until I go to remove my cell phone from the same pocket and I do that a lot during the day.

It's a lot easier on my hand when removing my cell phone with the Dragonfly clipped inside my pocket then if the Delica is there, if that makes any sense.

Anyway another spydie is on the way, should be here Friday. :)

burtpulizzi

Post by burtpulizzi »

Still have the worry and afraid that you will be kept an eye on by others who using the GPS tracking device around you? Now just by using the GPS jammer device you can easily avoid being tracked. Where to have a good beginning without wasting a lot of time in finding one reliable supplier? Here click your mouse and get the satisfied device that can meet with your requirements.
appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

I take back anything bad I said about the Dragonfly, lol...

Just ordered my third Dragonfly today.

Ever since I got my first Dragonfly (Black FRN SE) I have been going back and fourth between using the Delica and Dragonfly.
Well all last week I EDC the Dragonfly (Black SE) and left the Delica in my truck.

The G10 Dragonfly is nice (my second DF), but after using it a bit I decided that I like the feel and light weight of the FRN better. But the PE of the G10 was awesome.

So thus the reason for ordering what is now going to be my 3rd Dragonfly, a Black FRN PE.