Sharpmaker for new angle?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jes Schuetz

Sharpmaker for new angle?

Post by Jes Schuetz »

Hi,
Im planning on putting a flatter angle on one of my knifes.
The knife (seal puppy) is 4.73 inch long and made from AUS8.
How much wear can I expect on the Sharpmaker rods? Or should I grind the angle down with another tool. Suggestions would be great but I don't plan to buy a belt sander just yet.
Will the sharpmaker do fine or is it more for final touch ups? How much time would taking down an angle take?
Thank you.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would expect the blade steel to be the size of a toothpick before you even reached half of the usable life of the stones. Even with a modern high wear resistant steel.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jes Schuetz

Post by Jes Schuetz »

Awesome. Great info. Thank you.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

That said, it's not your fastest option for reprofiling. I'd use a coarse DMT stone or similar. It can be done. Just takes time.

Ken
玉鋼
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

Yes, be prepared for a long battle if you try and go for reprofiling with the brown stones.

I'd recommend getting a extracourse/course double-sided DMT diasharp stone and propping it up against one of the sharpmaker stones for easily reprofiling while still getting the ease of use with the sharpmaker.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

greenewk wrote:Yes, be prepared for a long battle if you try and go for reprofiling with the brown stones.

I'd recommend getting a extracourse/course double-sided DMT diasharp stone and propping it up against one of the sharpmaker stones for easily reprofiling while still getting the ease of use with the sharpmaker.
Dont you have to use water or oil on them DMT's? If so, that could get kinda messy! :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

greenewk wrote: I'd recommend getting a extracourse/course double-sided DMT diasharp stone and propping it up against one of the sharpmaker stones for easily reprofiling while still getting the ease of use with the sharpmaker.
That works but it can be "awkward" to do. Folks have also tried holding them on with rubber bands and such.

I don't really think it's necessary (or desirable). I'd just freehand the back bevel in on a coarse DMT. The exact angle doesn't matter as much as just thinning it out, and for that, I want a lower angle than the SM uses (without tricking it ;) ) Then, finishing your edge at 30° is simple.

If you're OCD about your back bevel (I admit, I am) you either need to develop mad, Murray Carter level, freehand skills or use a tool like a Wicked Edge or EdgePro.
sir_mike wrote:Dont you have to use water or oil on them DMT's? If so, that could get kinda messy! :)
They work fine dry. Some folks do mist them with water. I don't, and I've never seen anyone use oil. THAT could get messy.... ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Jes Schuetz

Post by Jes Schuetz »

Thanks for all your help.

Used a diamond to get to 20 degrees. Thats the smallest angle the Smith's kit (from Walmart) can reach. I can already shave hair and cut paper soso (might be just my way of cutting and not the knife)

I plan to go down to 15 but need to find a way to trick the angle rod guide.

If not, I will have to play with the sharpmaker and see if I can reach 15.

Here is a picture of a similar system except mine has only 2 stones.
Float like a butterfly, sting with a Spyderco.
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

,Jes Schuetz

Ok there is a way you can reprofile but don't expect to put much wider or narrower angle with the Sharpmaker. Not to mention you will have to spend days sharpening, plus you gonna **** your stones up if your not careful. With the diamonds will be faster but not as fast as with another sharpener. That's why I have like 3 sharpening systems and a whole bunch of stones. You can't just use one sharpener. Different knives, blade types, steels etc do REQUIRE different approach, bruh.

So don't try to be a pro, I've been your way and it wont be pretty. With the grinders, you have to be an absolutely guru man, there is a HUGE chance you will throw your knife in the recycle bin after the "grinding".

Just use your sharpmaker and don't let your knife go that dull and you'll be fine. The info you need you won't find on the forums. It's a lot of practice, money, time, and ****ed up nerves.

P.S. If you want an easy system to work with, get the WICKED EDGE SHARPENER, but before using it put some duct/electric tape on your blade to prevent scratching. And clamp it hard. :)
A moderate degree of courage joined to great ability will produce greater effects than moderate ability with great courage.
- Carl von Clausewitz

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Spyderco Military Digital Camo CPM-S30V
Spyderco Endura Spyderedge VG-10
Spyderco Matriarch w/ Emerson opener VG-10
Spyderco Resilience 8Cr13MoV
Spyderco Delica Spyderedge ZDP-189
Spyderco Manix XL CPM-S30V
Spyderco Sage Blue Bolt Action CPM-S30V
Spyderco Pacific Salt Yellow Spyderedge H1