Spyderco Delica FFG Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

DougC-3 wrote:Very nice review! I think I'm moving the Delica up near the top of my want list... I'd like the super blue sprint or the BR green ZDP-189. About the washers: I'd read in an Amazon review that they had occasionally been left out or even assembled with two on one side and none on the other. I didn't think much about it since people sometimes run down competing products or try to promote their own favorites. I wonder if you could persuade Spyderco to send you a couple without having to send in your knife.

To me it's a very valuable privilege to be able to choose from Spyderco's huge variety of interesting, highly functional, creative, and innovative designs, made in many countries, often with the top materials available in each country. It must be a huge undertaking to oversee all these operations and manage every little detail, often probably, remotely from the US. IMO dealing with an occasional idiosyncrasy is a small price to pay for all this variety.

Oh yeah, one minor thing about the blade length. I agree that it's probably best to have as long a blade as possible for the length of the handle if you're only going to have one knife with you. But I think for functional or working knives the handle and blade size should be determined more by the job to be done or maybe the hand size. For example, you mention using the Delica as a paring knife. I've found that most paring knives have blades that are too long and can sometimes result in nicking the hand holding the fruit, etc.... of course I would never nick myself... (...you talkin' to me?.. you talkin' to me??... you talkin' to me???... oops, sorry, I was just remembering another thread :) )
Definitelly try to ask Charlynn from Spyderco Waranty Service. She is extra extra extra nice person. We talked about this washer few days ago and she asked me for adress, no problem sending overseas. That is what I love about this brand too.

Blade lenght handle ratio is something important from my point of view. As you mentioned paring knives having shorter blade and longer handle, we are talking here about knife specialized for this task :) Delica is EDC knife and working knife. I experienced better results not with longer handle but with wider handle - as mentioned in review on my Michael Walker FRN model from Spyderco. Even little knives with very good handles could be very comfortable, sometimes better than their larger brothers. Anyway Delica is very good knife and I love it. BUT nothing is perfect in this world and every knife from every manufacturer needs some improvements, Sal Glesser is aware of that and tries to improve every possible little thing. As my company motto sounds "every little thing counts" in this case I appreciate similar approach from Spyderco :D that´s why I´m their customer since 2007 and still going...

Cheers,

P.
Donut

Post by Donut »

PaloArt wrote:Hi Brian (Donut)!

I convexed edge and used it both - coarse and polished. Coarse edge was very agressive cutting but loosing edge quickly (I´m talking here about 320 grit), better results for edc were with 600 grit "semi polished" and then stropped on clean leather belt (no polish compound). Excelent for shaving but not for cutting tomatoes and edc was polished edge. It did not cut as well as I would like it to (vegetables, fruits etc.). I use knife these days mainly as paring knife and in the office - so I like more agressive edge. Highly polished edge was great for use on wood btw. ;-)

Hope this helps a little.
Thanks, yeah. I always like hearing about cutting with different edge finishes.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

PaloArt wrote:I´m glad not to be the only one to see that ;) this is great utility shape, think I forgot to mention that I love using this kind of shape as plate knife. When cutting, you dull only tip and not entire edge, when used properly. Second thing is woodwork, as this blade type cuts really agressively.
Here's a thought for using your EDC knife while eating.

One thing to try that helps maintain the edge of your EDC knife if you use it to cut food on a hard plate is to "take the edge off". I saw this in a video by Ben Dale (Edge Pro inventor). When your edge is razor sharp and you drag it on a plate the edge will become useless immediately. But, if you lightly drag the edge across the last stone you use when sharpening it you will "take the edge off". A lot of us would call the result dull but it is still usable and won't get much worse when you cut your steak. It's like the edge is rounded and won't roll or smash like a razor edge will. So just do this to the tip area that will touch the plate. By doing this that area can still be usable even though it's not what most of us would call sharp and will keep what sharpness it has longer. The rest of the edge can be razor sharp and slice through the steak without mashing it into the plate. I know some of us have been to steak restaurants with DULL steak knives. I hate this.

Jack
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

PaloArt wrote:....Blade lenght handle ratio is something important from my point of view. As you mentioned paring knives having shorter blade and longer handle, we are talking here about knife specialized for this task :) Delica is EDC knife and working knife. I experienced better results not with longer handle but with wider handle - as mentioned in review on my Michael Walker FRN model from Spyderco. Even little knives with very good handles could be very comfortable, sometimes better than their larger brothers. Anyway Delica is very good knife and I love it. BUT nothing is perfect in this world and every knife from every manufacturer needs some improvements, Sal Glesser is aware of that and tries to improve every possible little thing. As my company motto sounds "every little thing counts" in this case I appreciate similar approach from Spyderco :D that´s why I´m their customer since 2007 and still going...

Cheers,

P.
I see your points about blade length to handle length ratio, and I've noticed that some of the Spydercos with the smallest handles have devout fans, so I take your point about overall handle design being more important than length alone. I think you've analyzed every aspect of this knife -- thanks for the elaboration :)

Regards,

Doug
BAL

Post by BAL »

Nice job PaloArt, that took quite a bit of time and energy.

I actually enjoy reading the words from those that say "English is not my first language".
I find the natural phrases to be interesting, don't worry about if it is proper English. English
is my natural language, but you'd probably not notice it at times.

It's more about the quality of the words not the quality of the wording.
Great job and thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

DougC-3 wrote:I see your points about blade length to handle length ratio, and I've noticed that some of the Spydercos with the smallest handles have devout fans, so I take your point about overall handle design being more important than length alone. I think you've analyzed every aspect of this knife -- thanks for the elaboration :)

Regards,

Doug
Doug, thank you very much for input and kind words :)
BAL wrote:Nice job PaloArt, that took quite a bit of time and energy.

I actually enjoy reading the words from those that say "English is not my first language".
I find the natural phrases to be interesting, don't worry about if it is proper English. English
is my natural language, but you'd probably not notice it at times.

It's more about the quality of the words not the quality of the wording.
Great job and thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts.
Hi BAL,

Thank you very much, I have big problems with english lately as I don´t use it everyday. If everything was clear and easily undestandable then it is what I wished for.

Thank you for nice words, appreciate those encouraging comments.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Great review PaloArt!
I really appreciated it as you give your subjective point of view and this is what I prefer. I love to read the thoughts of a user (not a datasheet copy and paste ...). Like said Saint Exupery "Your differences make me wealthy."

Now you are opening a Pandora box every lockbar owners know:
PaloArt wrote:...I think that the softer hardening of the lock bar is the main problem as it wears really quickly (mine at least shows awfull amount of wear). An improvement would be an easy manufacturing process as friend of mine, who is knifemaker, has made a few new locking bars for Spyderco models. After a little modification, the backlock performed with absolute authority and developed no bladeplay at all after few years of use.
My only backlock Spyderco with zero play after year of use is my Native 5 G10.
(The Triadlock on my XL Voyager is still going strong after been used for light chopping of wood...)

Now I would love to hear more about the little modification your knifemaker was able to do.
Also, it would be great to show a sample to Sal and Eric. Perharps they would be interested in a collaboration ?
It's us the End Line Users who would be the winners.

This lock improvement is a very exciting news. Can you elaborate it (without to have your friend idea leaked) ?

Keep up the good review !
Cheers
Nemo
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Great review. I like Nemo's reviews too (he also has great taste in knives :D )

I normally end up with a 1200 grit convex on my knives (Trizac belts) and maintain the edge with a strop or UF rods on the Sharpmaker. If the edge gets too polished I find it cuts less aggressively, but push cuts wood extremely well.