Through the 'cycle' ....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Timbo114

Through the 'cycle' ....

Post by Timbo114 »

I had my BRG ZDP Dragonfly riding *quite comfortably* in the coin pocket of my cargo shorts.
After a full Saturday of assorted activities, I remove said cargo shorts and have a shower.
Nearing 1 am, I decided to sort through my vast collection of LED torches, while the wife loaded the clothes dryer.
..... clunk ...... clunk ....... clunk ....
What the **** is that noise?
She opens the door and the very 1st item she grabs is my cargo shorts.
"I checked all the pockets ....."

Nope, not ALL of the pockets....
..now you know that I wasn't talking about baseball.

Thankfully, I wipe all of my blades with TUF-cloth.

I'm fully confident that I am not the only one whose left a blade in the pants for the 'cycle'. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I've had a few make it through the wash. Fortunately none of them have come out with any signs of rust.

You could just get an H1 Dragonfly and leave it in there all the time and not have to worry about the wife not checking the 5th pocket ;)

Oh, and the one time I said something about mine leaving a knife in a pocket, she said I can either check the pockets myself or do the laundry myself lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Guilty as charged. I put my G10 Caly thought the cycle. I even do not use TUF-cloth or oil. The knife was just fine, probably I dropped a drop of oil on pivot. This was it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Holland

Post by Holland »

I wouldn't expect anything to happen to VG10 ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I've done this more times than I care to admit. My lum chinese opened up in the pocket of a pair of shorts in the dryer and sliced them up pretty good.

Yeah, I didn't notice that the knife was in the pocket during the whole wash cycle, then threw it in the dryer. /facepalm
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I've washed a H1 D'Fly and a Böker SUBCOM multiple times in the washer and dryer. Both have made it through without any significant issues; I usually just look them over, open & close multiple times to check function, and lube as needed.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I my ZDP Ladybug went for a ride through the washer and dryer. Besides the edge of the frn handle being smoothed it came out ok.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I just pulled my BLK Ladybug with a Photon light out of the washer 2hrs ago, both are fine. This is not the first time either.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Nope, never :D I'm really paranoid about not taking knives where they don't belong, so I always keep track of all my knives. Whenever pants get washed, I check them thoroughly. I'm bound to mess up one of these days, though :rolleyes:
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I've left a pen in my shirt pocket multiple times, fortunately it didn't leave an ink stain on the shirt.
Since I do my own laundry, I have no one to blame but myself if I don't empty my pockets :) . I can't imagine the horror of having a blade come open in the dryer, might open the door to a whole dryer full of shredded clothes :eek: .

I have developed a routine for patting myself down to check all my pockets before I put pants in the laundry, or before I go to the airport/courthouse etc. I can see how it would be easy to miss the extra pockets though on cargo pants when I don't normally wear that style.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My Enduras have been washed and dried many times since 92. It makes it easier to get the pocket lint out from the lockback pocket afterwards. I relube and go. That's all that's needed.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"