I'll see your Spyderco and raise you another!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nicked.onaut

Re: I'll see your Spyderco and raise you another!

Post by nicked.onaut »

24h

Delica 4, Foliage Green FRN (Grivory ;-)
Damascus / D.P.S. 15 VG-10 PE

SKU C11PFGD4

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

24h

Police Gen 1
unmarked Gin-1/G-2
"Police Model"
C07 (orig. 1007) PE

Following the initial "Pride Integrity Guts" versions, these latter First Gen C07s were made from about 1986 to 1990.

Spydie factoid: the only Spyderco model to include "Model" in its name and engraving.
(unless my brain has completely turned to mush.... getting there...)

kind regards,

a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

24h

Q Ball
Black G10
VG-10 PE Wharncliffe

SKU C219GP

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

24h

Even though I may not be in my right mind all the time (ambi? Sho am!), here's the new and much appreciated LH PM2.

raise: PM2 Left Hand
Black G10
S30V PE

SKU C81GPLE2

As an aside, I think this is the smoothest Spydie hole I've ever seen from the factory, Golden or overseas.
Overall execution is superb.

kind regards,
a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18h

One of Sal's earlier knives, the 2001 (SKU, not year) Pre Diver

For those unfamiliar with the history, this knife originally had a snap shackle similar to that later found on the SnapIt knives. The shackle was made by another company, Wichard, and a design weakness allowed lateral shifting of the closing spring element and accidental knife detachment. Of course, if this occurred in or on the water, it revealed the negative buoyancy of 440C electropolished steel. The knife then served a dual purpose as a sounding probe/ depth finder, if the diver subsequently chose to bottom dive in search of the wayward Spyderco.

Professor Glesser revamped the knife by grinding/removing the snap shackle component from the production run. This is manifest in the area of the small notch seen at the clip between the single and paired screws.

Another factoid (correct me if I am wrong): this clip is the largest solid clip found on any Spyderco folder.

Side note: many of the earlier Spydercos are yet to be posted; don't expect many forumites to chime in with those, but it seems thread interest is absent even for new models. I was on sabbatical during thread heyday; I think I'll disengage from sprinkling in these oldies, and let the thread channel Gen. MacArthur.

kind regards,
a n.on
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'll try to edit with a better pic tomorrow.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Welcome to the game, SharpGuy!
Sharp Guy wrote:Image

I'll try to edit with a better pic tomorrow.

I'll see your C113GPGR, Caly 3 green G10 HAP40 PE
and raise 1009S (later C09S)
CoPilot from 1987 (1st yr)
SS, RH, integral lock, unmarked GIN-1/G-2 SE, brass liners, short clip

kind regards,
a n.on
Last edited by nicked.onaut on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 hr rule

just want to fill in some more of the missing early Spydies, for reference

raise 1009P (later C09P)
1987, first year
SS, brass liners, unmarked (GIN-1), RH, PE, integral lock, long clip

three from 1987, a good year:

note the long clip, vs. the short clip of the 1009S; third version maybe later:

kind regards,

nicked.onaut
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 hr rule
filling vintage gaps

see: 1009P brass-liner CoPilot PE

Raise: Flat Iron Folder
black frn, fat molded clip
ATS-55 PS
sku listed as CFIF, but see clarification quote from Joyce Laituri, below; CFIFPS
listed as 1997 production, but with its convoluted history, apparently production included 1996 (perhaps even late 1995)

also, see p. 2, Ironstone Catalog (1998)

I think this is the only Spyderco offering with "Folder" in the name, and abbreviated in the SKU

" Aug 21, 2001 #4
Sal Glesser

Hi Royo. We only made about 500 pieces. They were originally made as an exclusive for a catalog, but the catalog couldn't take them, so Ironstone sold them through their catalog and stores. Ironstone no longer exists.
sal

(2005)

The "Flat Iron Folder" was the mating of a drop point blade with the original FRN "Rescue" handle. It was originally made as an exclusive model for another company and was dubbed the "Snake River Folder". The other company ran into some problems so the model was changed to the Flat Iron Folder and sold as an exclusive through Ironstone Mail order. When Ironstone Mail order shut down. the balance of the pieces were being closed out through the SFO store. I don't know current status as to whether or not we have any left.

sal

Joyce Laituri wrote:
There were right around 1000 Flat Iron Folders made. The SKU (stock keeping unit) number was CFIFPS.

If I can get a pic I'll post it for y'all.

Joyce "

comments much appreciated
thanks for looking,
kind regards,
nicked.onaut
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Thanks nicked.onaut and congrats to an elusive Spydie!

Now you see why it is difficult to make explicit quotes in Spydiewiki ... :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Peter1960 wrote:Thanks nicked.onaut and congrats to an elusive Spydie!

Now you see why it is difficult to make explicit quotes in Spydiewiki ... :D
Hi Peter, thanks for the comments.
Not something recently acquired, but dug up out of the old stuff, trying to catalog (finally) some of my distributed accumulation. That CFIF was from a friend in Colorado, years ago/ pre-2K, who enjoyed the Habicht (Swarovski) binocs I had given him.

After discovering a theft/pilferage five or six years ago, which had been ongoing for awhile of knives and other stuff, I lost much interest beyond day-to-day use. Resumed getting new offerings a year or two ago, and also started sorting thru a lot of "old stuff" Spydies and such, including plenty of forgot-I-had-thats. Also some surprise variants not mentioned in The Wiki.

Of course some of the empty boxes have revealed surreptitious pilferage. I am past that, and so is the other person, finally; hooray for their growth an change.

Too bad this comprehensive and useful thread fell victim to another image-host vanishing....

kind regards,
a n.on
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

GSO wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:20 am
Pull out your camera and dig through your collection!

How to play:
  1. A member makes a challenge by posting a photo of his/her :spyder:
  2. Another member posts a photo to match the previous person's :spyder: and includes another :spyder: of his/her own. If that member is the first to post a valid response, his/her photo becomes the latest challenge.
How to win:
  • Every Spyderco model ever produced is displayed in this thread. We all win. ;)
  • Just have fun. Try to keep the thread going.
Rules:
  • The photo must only have two Spyderco models displayed: the one you are matching, and the one you are challenging in turn
  • The Spyderco you challenge must be a new model not previously challenged on this thread.
  • You are matching the particular variation of a model distinguished by its Model Reference code (i.e. SKU). Delica 4 FFG plain edge in black (C11PBK) shall be considered different from a Delica 4 FFG in SpyderEdge (C11SBK) or orange (C11FPOR).
  • Custom modifications to a model are disregarded. Be clear to announce what the model originally was prior to modifications.
  • The photo you submit must include the words "I see your" and "and raise you". You can write it on post-it notes. You can spell it in spaghetti. You can have it typed on your screen displayed next to your knives. Do what you must. This rule prevents cheating by the posting of photos taken not specifically for this game.
  • The first valid response to the standing challenge becomes the current standing challenge. Late responses are disregarded, so be quick.
  • If noone submits a valid response within 18 hours of the latest challenge, the member who posted the latest challenge must submit another photo with a different Spyderco model as challenge (hopefully an easier one). Remember that fun is had when the thread is moving along and not when it's stuck.
  • If the latest challenge stands for more than 24 hours, the game will then be open to a new challenge by any member. The first valid challenge after the 24th hour will be recognized, with later ones being disregarded. The photo you submit must display one new model and the words "I raise you" somewhere in the picture.
Additional:
  • A list of all the models encountered so far is being maintained by good forum member, Reject, continually posted near the beginning or end of each page in the thread. Please refer to it to see which models have already been challenged.
  • When you post a challenge, please consider adding the Model Reference code / SKU of the new :spyder: somewhere in your post. It makes things easier for reference.
  • When posting a challenge, please consider having an additional challenge at the ready. That would mean only having to take out the camera once instead of twice, as well as getting the new challenge out sooner for the sake of pacing.
Say the current challenge is a Superleaf...

C28GRE2 Spyderco Dragonfly2 British Racing Green FRN ZDP-189
I realize this is quite an old thread, but I thought it might be fun to revive it for the current day, since there have been many new models released since the last post.

The rules are pretty simple, so I'll start with an easy one to get the ball rolling...

Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."