I'll see your Spyderco and raise you another!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reject

Re: I'll see your Spyderco and raise you another!

Post by Reject »

nicked.onaut wrote:
I hope Reject doesn't mind reposting his fine images for illustration, from another photohost. (Unfortunately this thread is rife with lost historical content due to image hosts vanishing, and no text trace)
kind regards,

a n.on
No worries mate. :D Repost any images you want.

:) I am really enjoying the extra commentary you are adding to each post.
How much can a Koala bear?
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Thank you.
Photohost fold-ups have been a PITK, but even worse, they have adversely affected invaluable references, such as you folks have compiled here.

Thank you for all your personal contributions--of tremendous breadth and depth! Your photos are enjoyable and well-crafted, too, like the ants-and-blooms above. Whimsy! (-- were the borogoves, eh? Sal has discussed MIM issues... ;-)
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 h

One more in our "Formerly-known-as" foray, here is one of the last made before the the re-organization, mentioned above:

Delica Gen 3 ATS-55 SE (no Boye detent)
SKU C11SBK98

The unassuming black Delica in Spyderedge is iconic for the line, and sales of Gen 1s and Gen 3s in this iteration introduced countless knifeusers to the brand, and to serrated edge utility. (Likewise for the Endura, but its greater length correlates with a pool of fans perhaps lesser in number, if not equally fervent in appreciation.)

Gen 3 continues with the brilliant barrel bolt clip of the Gen 2, which allows easy change of tip-up LH or RH or clipless carry. Two opposed U.S. nickels fit best, and tend to mar less than ridged/thinner U.S. quarters, which are also more prone to slipping. Unlike three-screw (or two-screw) clips,there are no issues of threaded liners or inserts, nor of G10 linerless thread-stripping a la Renegade, but also there is no option for tip-down carry.

The Boye detent was introduced in 2001, and some late ATS55 blades will have that change. VG10 was introduced in 2002 for the Gen 3. (The Red Gen 3 trainer has solid "no holes escept Spydie hole" blade in AUS-6.)

(note also the white label here for Serrated blades)

kind regards,
a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 h

Pardon me for jumping in; I thought for sure someone would see the Delica SE, and raise by now.

The passing of Royal Robbins March 15, RIP, jolts my thoughts of a pending jaunt with a friend to gift the knife below (shhhh! he doesn't know yet). He has summited South and North routes, though not in 1991. He usually carries a SAK, btw.

So here's a JDM Worker Everest 1991, GIN-1 SE; Plain Edge was previously posted.

Crop is from a 2006 pic I took that someone wanted a 16x20 print/ Passing Seasons (some big wall...). (Tip: Costco has fine low-cost photo service for this, plus had a 2-for-1 sale back then which is why I kept a print.)

Some of the JDM Spyderco packaging (need to put on the reading glasses for 3 pt. kanji, even katagana/hiragana ;-)

Incl. illustration, how to open:

kind regards,

a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

24 hr rule

Have more JDM Spydies, but let's improve the odds of someone else getting back in the game.

Some more recent SpyD knifage--someone puh-leez post a raise.

Lil SubHilt Black G10 S30V PE
SKU C224GP

kind regards,
da nicked.onaut
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 h

raise: Merlin Gen 2, Black FRN, barrel bolt clip
ATS55 SE
SKU C08SBK

(perhaps layout is more suitable for Lil Lionspy)

My, my, my, a Goblin Merlin:

With the paucity of Merlin content on Spyderwiki, a couple of review points to keep in mind:
Gen One FRN :
--early, thin clip, G-2 steel
--later, fat clip, AUS-8 steel
(also have an 8A)
--unclear how much if any overlap of steel types with thin-to-fat change

SKU change from C21xxx back to Harpy's C08xx

Other Merlin variants yet to post

(but someone please raise, ad libitum)

HTH,
kind regards,
a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 h

Another oldie
Catcherman Black FRN (Grivory)
MBS-26 PS 75/25 FFG

SKU C17PSBKE

Note the thin blade, for those unfamiliar with the Catcherman:

Earlier Catchermans were made in AUS8 (some marke AUS8A); later USN sprint run in H1.

This Spyderco folder is unique for its steel, MBS 26, which is used for Spyderco kitchen knives.
Used by the maker for one other line of knives, it is otherwise unavailable except to Spyderco.

For years, Mr. Glesser kept the propietary heat-treat method confidential, but later revealed the use of molten lead heat treating.

Quote from BF:

01-03-2002, 02:47 PM #4
Sal Glesser
Sal Glesser is offline Moderator

" MBS-26 has been around for at least 20 years. It is little known because it is a priopriatary steel produced exclusively for one knife mfr in Japan. It is a steel that we have used and tested for 20 years and it always comes aout way ahead of all of the others for a kitchen knife.

This is a steel that the numbers do not tell the whole story. I once asked the maker how he was able to achieve such exceptional performance from this steel? That the steel performs far beyond the numbers. He said that the "secret" was a spohisticated heat treat spec that they adhere to meticulously. I have seen their heat treating and I must say that is is different than others I've seen. I really don't think it proper to divulge too much info.

I will say that we have found no other steel that will perform as well very thin. Edge retention is up there with the exotics, and corrosion resistance second only to 440C and X15TN, neither of which will get as sharp as, or stay sharp as long as MBS-26. That's why I went through the hoops necessary to make the folding filet knife with MBS-26. Which was a difficult project that took years to make happen.

sal "

kind regards,
a n.on
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Nice Yin, Peter. I have the older Spydie kitchen knives, and they have served well for, geez, twenty years or more. The wood handled Yin looks tempting, especially for keeping the handle clean vs. as with the Sermollan crevices which need brushing.

24h

Now for another JDM, 1994:

Hunter SS with wood inlay (sold as cocobolo here, but...)
GIN-1 PS
Plain clip ( also have with Kraton insert)

SKU C03PS, Japanese marking 1003

kind regards,
a n.on
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

nicked.onaut wrote:Nice Yin, Peter.
Thank you nicked.onaut! But now it is your show, please give us some more exotic old clipits... :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

You're welcome, Peter, and I'll get back to neglected vintage clipits anon. (archaic! ;-)

For now, with the Stretch torch passing to the new Gen 2 FRNs, here's a Stretch Nishijin which was MIA in the thread. Juxtaposed with the" see": JDM/ Japan wood on a background of another "JDM"/Japan wood--koa, MIJ also circa '94-'95.

(As well, the origin of "Nishi-jin" dovetails with Peter's "Yin." Nishi--> west , Yin-->north)

ahem. 18h

Stretch Black Nishijin
D.P.S. 15 VG-10 Damascus PE

SKU C90 GFPD

kind regards,

a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 h

Ladybug 1, Pink PS, unmarked steel type

SKU is LPN
LB1 SKUs are unmodified as to PS, P, or S ( all the early regular LB1s are PS, up to 2003)

Drahkis posted a nice PE Pink Ladybug 1 on p 121; I hope he doesn't mind me posting a screengrab here. SKU is also LPN of course.

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18h

Fresh fruit, blue knife, "It's the berries!" -- just arrived

New models and variants are low-hanging fruit for posting here. Old models are more laborious and vexing to research, often with neither image nor descriptive text, especially in earlier posts. Peter, I promise you some vintage Ironstone with my next post (someone should raise this knife, though) ;-)

UKPK Dark Blue FRN
S110V PE

SKU: C94PDBL

edit: geez, it really is a dark blue, not seen well in the gloaming

kind regards,
a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 h rule

see UKPK S110V
The raise includes a suspected redux

This one is a bit sticky due to the change in nomenclature, and uncertainty with previous posts. I'm illustrating a second knife for clarity, and to ensure that image gap is filled, if not already so by post credit.

CX02 Experimental 2, Black G10, GIN-1 SE; Ironstone 1997-1998
SKU CX02GS
Renamed Navigator for Production model with new SKU C62G

Below it is CX02S/ IS-CX02S Experimental 2
Solid Aluminum, Steel Blue Alimite
GIN-1 SE
Ironstone 1998 only

(Later Aluminum Navigators C62x are slotted not solid, blue-gray Alimite; and yes, I should have put one of those in the pic...)

Spydiewwiki's nice table clarifying nomenclature changes--what a ton of invaluable work these foks have done:

bengaiser post on p42, with uncertainty re:CX02S:

link referenced in img grab:
http://spydercosource.com/2009/09/spyde ... gator-c62/

kind regards,
a n.on

(tiptoes away from a residual wrinkle...)
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 h

alternating old and new; T-fans jump in plz

Tenacious
Brown G10
8Cr13MoV PE Black blade
SKU: C122GPBBN

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18h

Raise: Delica Gen 3 Trainer
Red FRN
AUS-6 Solid blade (no hoes exc. Spydie0

SKU C11TR

kind regards,
a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

(Have another interesting JDM/Ironstone wood inlay Spydie I was preparing to post, but so far I've been unable to find factory reference for it.... question marks on wiki...)
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18h

(sorry about the last time stamp :-(

Spyderco afficianados are all familiar with ATS-55, made specificaly for Spyderco, and which saw extensive use during the "Golden Age" of Spyderco.

What was the FIRST Spyderco Clipit to use ATS-55?

The innovative barrel bolt clip, which was both reversible for LH and RH carry, and which incorporated a lanyard hole, was used on many thousands of Spyderco knives, until replaced by the 4-way clip (and those nine empty holes!).

What was the FIRST model to use the Barrel Bolt Clip?

Answer to both questions: the Wayne Goddard Lightweight.

(surprisingly, not yet posted in this thread)

Wayne Goddard Lightweight
Black FRN (*GRN, see below, and previous post re: FRN/ Seki City manuf.)
ATS-55 PS, Sabre Grind/Hollow Grind
SKU: C16PSBK

Quote from spydiewiki:
"We received the prototype of the GRN (Zytel type material) handled C-16 on January 17, 1997. It was a good looking knife with the cast handle and the new, right/left interchangeable clip. It also had the new steel, ATS-55. The Lightweight Goddard was the first Spyderco Clipit to feature ATS-55 and the changeable Clipit. We received the first production Lightweight Goddard's in May of '97; these were partially serrated. The first Lightweight Goddard's with plain edge blades were delivered in May '99. The Lightweight was well received and sales were very good." end quote

kind regards,
nicked.onaut, a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18h

Manbug Salt
Yellow FRN
H1 Sheepsfoot SE

SKU MYLS

With all the new Spydies out there, *someone* jump in plz

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

18 h

OK then, let's try some other low-hanging fruit--maybe per season let's call it a fat and slow hanging curveball, easy pickin's:

Para 3, Black G10, S30V PS
SKU C223GPS

somebody please raise this one; o/w my next one will likely be an old oddball (checks mirror)

kind regards,
nicked.onaut