Spyderco Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
oj8

Spyderco Endura

Post by oj8 »

This is my first post and I feel bad that its a question. I bought a Spyderco Endura ffg and it has quickly become my favorite knives. The issue I'm having is that the blade when I open it and when I depress the lock feels sticky or gummed up. I have absolutely no idea what to do about it :/. If anyone has any idea please help and thanks in advance. :)
mattman

Post by mattman »

Is it brand new?

At first guess, without knowing more, I'd suggest opening and closing it several times under hot, running water, then applyingsome lube to the pivot area, working it in, and see if that helps.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Welcome to the forum. Don't feel bad about the question. We're all here to ask questions and learn. I also recommend following mattman's suggestion. It's a quick and easy thing to do and won't hurt the knife at all.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Welcome! Do what he said ^, but go easy on the oil. Too much will just attract more dust and grime.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Welcome aboard! Let us know if the wash and lube helps!
mattman

Post by mattman »

I just wanted to add, there are a few good methods to dry the internals, too...

Best option is blowing it out with compressed air, either in the garage, or with a keyboard canned air.

Other options include hairdryer, warm lightbulb, furnace vent, or a good snap/shake ( be SURE of your grip and bystanders!! )
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I relube with dry teflon lubes to keep oil from trapping dirt and dust. My biggest problem has been pocket lint. It can get trapped in the little cut out in the lockback Spyderco designed to trap debris so the lock still works if a little dirty. My best method for cleaning it out is to put it in the pocket of my jeans and send it through the washer and dryer. After it's dry the trapped lint is oil free and easy to pick out as one mass. Then I relube.

To be honest the knife polishes up really nice with use. My oldest ones are the smoothest. As long as trapped dirt or other abrasive material stays out the lock gets smooth as silk eventually provided you don't destroy it by prying or batoning, etc. I have one I bought in 92 and still carry now and again. Man is it smooth!

Good luck.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
messer454

Post by messer454 »

Did your knife do this while brand new? If above suggestions do not work it might possibly be that the bolt that the blade pivots on is just a bit too tight. If you can loosen that just a 1/4 turn that might help. If none of that works I would contact Spyderco. I have/have had over 50 Enduras and I have only had one problem with any of them. One of the Endura 4s did not have the SS liners polished and a burr was rubbing the blade as it opened and closed. They will take care of you.
"Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

SpyderNation # 0019
oj8

Post by oj8 »

Sorry it took so long to reply my phone didn't want to let me and I haven't been able to get to my computer. I haven't put hot water on it but I did open it a bunch of times and it seems like it is getting smoother thanks everyone for all of their help.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

50 Enduras? :eek:

Hope you don't mind asking how it became ..