After market salt clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rvadog

After market salt clip?

Post by rvadog »

Anyone make a deep carry clip for the salt series knives? I can't stand the yellow handle riding above my pocket. Thanks.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

With the way those clips use the barrel nut to attach to the handle, you would have to make the clip super wide so you could drill a hole in it to allow access to the barrel screws. It would probably have to be a good half inch wide, which depending on the knife might even be wider than the butt of the handle itself. Now, what you could do is have one made that attaches to the opposite side of the handle and wraps around the butt of the handle. I made a clip like this for my Delica and it carried super deep and worked awesome.

Here's a pic

This way the end of the clip and width wouldn't be any different than it is from the factory. If you're brave you might even wanna try to bend a stock clip around and see if you can make one yourself, but you'll have to heat the clip up or it'll snap. Of course it's going to be a lot shorter by the time it gets around to the other side of the handle, and it won't hit the Spyderco logo, but it still works really well for deep carry.

Here's a pic of it clipped in my pocket
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

I don't recall seeing that before, David... nice work!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Now that is DEEP CARRY! Well done David. I agree with mattman, I have not seen that before. Do you still have that clip (delica) and was that Ti or steel?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:Now that is DEEP CARRY! Well done David. I agree with mattman, I have not seen that before. Do you still have that clip (delica) and was that Ti or steel?
Still have it, it was actually a clip off a cheap Gerber knife I had. I had to open up two of the holes to fit the Spyderco pattern but the rest fit pretty decent, although it did partially cover the lanyard hole. The only down side was that the clip being so short means it didn't have a lot of spring to it, so it clipped super tight, and because the clip fell right on the bi-directional texturing of the handle instead of on the Spyderco logo, it clipped extremely tight and was almost hard to pull out of your pocket. I'm actually selling that Delica this weekend but I'm keeping the clip :)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Or if it is just the fact that the handle is *yellow*, some of the salts also have a black handled version. I have an all black Pacific.

Very nicely done on that fold-over clip David.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Or you can always dye the yellow FRN with RIT dye like I did. Unless you really like the yellow color (it does provide excellent visibility). But like David said, due to the original wire clip design it will take some careful work to get a clip that will not move around on you if you only use the one original screw.
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10