price mistake??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

price mistake??

Post by Popsickle »

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Nope. Price has been confirmed.
Michael Janich wrote:To all:

Thank you all very much for your discussion of the Chaparral III and the apparent pricing error. To avoid any misunderstandings or speculation, I thought it would be a good idea for me to provide some official insights from the Spyderco perspective.

First of all, the MSRP, as listed, is correct: $564.95. Yes, it's expensive.

To understand the high price of the knife, it's important to consider the objective of the Chaparral series, Spyderco's goals with regard to our Taiwanese factory, and the broad scope of the knife market.

The Chaparral series is named after the Chaparral, a plant native to the Western U.S. that is known for its ability to regenerate after harsh weather conditions and even wildfires. Similar in concept to our Sage series, which pays tribute to innovative knife designers and makers by rendering the same basic knife with different lock mechanisms, the Chaparral series uses a standard design format to highlight distinctive handle materials and texture patterns. The basic format is that of a thin, exceptionally well crafted gentleman's pocket knife with a back lock mechanism. Using this basic format as a canvas, the concept is to embellish it with high-grade, meticulously machined handle scales that push the envelope of quality and sophistication.

Although there are still many misconceptions and "knee-jerk" reactions regarding Spyderco's Taiwanese factory, the facts are actually pretty simple. Taiwan, as a manufacturing community, is very technologically advanced and has developed a number of proprietary processes that clearly define them as world leaders in many areas. For example, their injection-mold tooling and precision blanking methods are exceptional. The very best Taiwanese factories--like the one we use--are capable of craftsmanship, fit, and finish every bit as good as US factories. That's why Spyderco makes the extra effort and investment to send premium US-made steel and other US-made raw materials to our Taiwanese factory for use in the knives we have made there. The quality of the workmanship justifies the additional investment. Unfortunately, that investment also has a significant impact on the retail price of the product.

With regard to the Chaparral III, like its predecessors in the series, it features premium US-made CTS XHP blade steel. Like the Chaparral II, it also features solid 6AL-4V titanium scales. What makes it different, however, is the machining pattern of its scales. Developed exclusively by our Taiwanese factory, this pattern features an extremely intricate series of "steps." Every cut is a perfectly straight line, but collectively the multiple steps create a detailed geometric pattern that provides the illusion of curves. When you see it up close, it's fascinating and clearly an amazing achievement in machining. Unfortunately, that achievement also comes at a price.

The price of machined parts is based primarily on the cost of the raw material itself and the amount of "machine time" required to complete all the processes necessary to yield a finished part. As the saying goes, "time is money," so long, meticulously detailed machining processes result in expensive parts. And that's the primary reason for the high price of the Chaparral III and the difference in price between it and the less detailed machining on the Chaparral II.

Why would Spyderco choose to produce a knife like this? Mostly because it fits the stated theme of the Chaparral series--to push the envelope of materials and craftsmanship in the expression of a gentleman's folding knife. The project also exists because, per Spyderco's unique methodology, we showed prototypes of the Chaparral III to hundreds of customers at meets and shows. Their feedback on the design was overwhelmingly positive and they expressed a strong interest in seeing Spyderco explore the realm of "investment quality" knives. Based on that interest and feedback and our desire to push the envelope, we pursued the project.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the reasons for the Chaparral III's high MSRP. Please also understand that, by design, it's not a knife intended for everyone. We know that. Like any other item that goes beyond simple, basic function, it's a pride-of-ownership piece and the decision to purchase it will be a very subjective, personal one.

If you want to tell time or cut something, buy a G-Shock or Delica. If you want to tell time or cut something in high style and make a serious fashion statement in the process, get a Rolex or a Chaparral III.

Thank you for your understanding and continued interest in our products. Thank you also for respecting our right to occasionally push the limits of artistic expression with our creations.

Stay safe,

Mike
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Sorry but that knife is uglier than the original Ti version. I understand all the machining required, etc, I'm sure it's not cheap to do. I just don't see this one being a good value at all. I hope they didn't make too many.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

jabba359 wrote:Nope. Price has been confirmed.
wow I will 100% pass. Im a HUGE spyderco fan but comparing spyderco to rolex is a bit much.

EDIT:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Makes sense to me. Don't buy it gentleman. Personally I can't afford it. But I do know that options are good.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
mattman

Post by mattman »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Makes sense to me. Don't buy it gentleman. Personally I can't afford it. But I do know that options are good.
What?
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

The carbon fiber chapparal is WAY cheaper, and looks WAY better than the new one. Sounds like a win-win to me.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Zoinks. That's an expensive Chap...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

It's expensive, but I can see where all the money went. Even if it is CNC machined, I imagine it takes a while to do all the work on those scales.

Personally, I'm kind of curious why it wasn't released with plain titanium handle scales. That would have definitely bumped the Techno off of my want list.

Actually, it looks like Mike's post answered my question why they didn't release the model with plain scales.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Holland

Post by Holland »

Its really bad timing tbh, I think it would have sold much better if they didnt release the stealth chap first. the chap 3 is very similar to the chap 2 but IMO isn't at all better looking then the chap 2. If anything, i think this will increase the sales for the chap 2. We'll have to wait and see though, i could be completely wrong.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

mattman wrote:What?
If you don't like it...don't buy it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I can hear the crowd warming up with the "we hate Taiwan, everything is overpriced" chorus... :(
mattman

Post by mattman »

Liquid Cobra wrote:If you don't like it...don't buy it.
ahhhh.... now I get your other post... thanks!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I imagine that Spyderco eithers thinks there's a market for a such an expensive knife or thinks there might be and wants to experiment with a super high-end knife. I won't be buying one either.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

JNewell wrote:I can hear the crowd warming up with the "we hate Taiwan, everything is overpriced" chorus... :(
I love everything that has been put out from Taiwan. The fit and finish is always great
neocacher

Post by neocacher »

As a newcomer to collecting spyderco's, I hope this doesn't reflect the current demand and pricing for supposedly, common spyderco's. I also hope it doesn't indicate a shift in Sal's priorities. I will pass on this one and stick with value pricing.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JNewell wrote:I can hear the crowd warming up with the "we hate Taiwan, everything is overpriced" chorus... :(
Can't say I've seen any statements regarding origin. IMHO, we'd be hearing the same "It's nice, but it's not for me" comments if it was a Caly 3 or Native V using the exact same materials and at the exact same price point. The price tag, on the other hand, is obviously going to limit this version's appeal. The price, in turn, will mean the knife's "looks" will become the make or break factor for those who can afford it. Heck, I'm a major fan of the Chaparral platform, have great respect for the craftsmanship of the folks in Taichung, and would cheerfully pay the Chaparral III's MSRP or more for a Chaparral with smooth steel bolsters, attractive wood scales, and an Odin's Eye Damasteel blade. However, titanium handled knives aren't really my cup of tea, so paying that kind of money for one, especially when a Chaparral that I find more attractive is available for roughly 1/3 the price, is something I'd have to think long and hard about, so I can see why it may give others pause.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Popsickle wrote:wow I will 100% pass. Im a HUGE spyderco fan but comparing spyderco to rolex is a bit much.

EDIT:
To be fair to mike I don't think he was comparing so much the brand .
Although it was insinuated about class items and style .
Maybe the Rolex statement was that Rolex has always explained that a lot of its costs are down to machinery price.
Some of the machines used for the manufacturing cost millions to purchase .
So if spyderco is running a knife series off that machine they won't recoup the costs on that model alone.
Maybe several , maybe the machines are rented but they still cost which will inherently affect retail price.
Me I am used to paying high prices full mrsp in the uk but I'd buy custom at this price.
For this particular knife but its relative if I was a multi millionaire maybe I'd buy two ?.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I am thinking this will be the "discontinued for lack of sales" knife in the future. Or they just won't make many.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Sithus1966 wrote:I am thinking this will be the "discontinued for lack of sales" knife in the future. Or they just won't make many.
I agree.

Part of the problem is the competition by way of Spyderco's other offerings. There are a lot of great Spyderco choices out there, of equal quality, for lower cost. I do like Ti scales but this one is more than I would want to spend.