price mistake??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Cheddarnut wrote:Maybe theres a general underlying fear that prices in general are going north, that would be my concern.
Prices, in general have been heading north for as long as I can remember. Heck, I can only think of a couple "things" that cost less today than they did fifty years ago, and knives are definitely not one of them. Truth is, in its day, the Worker "broke all the rules" and Spyderco has been marching to its own drummer ever since. As for the Chaparral III, it's is far from the first time they've decided to produce an expensive knife that I'm sure they realize will not appeal to their "core market". They've been doing things like that for over twenty years. Think the Yellowhorse, Blanchard, and Santa Fe Stoneworks embellished knives. Think the C22 CF Walker, the C27 Jess Horn, the Ramco Laguiole, and the Evolution Set. All those where "expensive" in their day, and not a single one followed Sal's normal "tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" philosophy of knife making.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

you can respect the company while still believing that they took a swing-and-a-miss on this one.
I have no problems with you saying this but do you really believe you represent the market in general? That would be strange thinking in my opinion. I don't make any such claims after being a knife knut for 40 years, reading all the forums and magazines, and selling knives for 15 years. It's a pretty arrogant position to take. :) Maybe it's just not for you. I kind of doubt Spyderco would have made them without seeing a viable market for them.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
endgame

Post by endgame »

Popsickle if you don't like me don't post nasty replies to me.what I said is my opinion you don't have to get all crazy about it.in my experiences I have had allot of problems with knives made in the Usa.not one problem from the overseas producers.that's just my experience.I like the knife also.so hate me if you want but don't go calling me out for it.I post what I like and what I think I don't go after you if I don't like what you think.I never called one if you a troll or picked you're posts apart wich I could but I don't need to anyone can type insults.take that crap to jerseydevil.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

The Mastiff wrote:I have no problems with you saying this but do you really believe you represent the market in general? ... It's a pretty arrogant position to take.
I think it's a little silly to call it arrogant to express one's opinion. In my opinion, and in the opinion of MANY people who have commented on this, the knife is overpriced for what it is. If the machining processes really are this expensive, the value added in those processes for an end user seems pretty minimal given some of the opinions that have been expressed.
:) Maybe it's just not for you. I kind of doubt Spyderco would have made them without seeing a viable market for them.
It's definitely not for me. Regarding whether Spyderco would have made them without seeing a viable market - perhaps Spyderco could be wrong? There is a LOOOOONG list of Spyderco knives that have been discontinued due to poor sales. That's really one of the things we like about the company, isn't it? Their willingness to take risks means they put out some really cool, innovative stuff that not many other companies would take a risk on. Some of it ends up becoming a cult classic, and some languishes in obscurity, only hunted down by the occasional die-hard collector. Given the amazing custom engraving work you could get done on a set of plain Titanium scales for the price of this knife, I don't think this is destined to be a particularly successful experiment.

Is it arrogant to make a prediction? You might think so - I tend to disagree. I have an opinion, and I posted on a DISCUSSION BOARD to discuss said opinion. I may prove to be wrong, and I may not - but that's why I said it's a swing and a miss in my opinion
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Is it arrogant to make a prediction? You might think so - I tend to disagree. I have an opinion, and I posted on a DISCUSSION BOARD to discuss said opinion. I may prove to be wrong, and I may not - but that's why I said it's a swing and a miss in my opinion
Please don't try to bend this into something it's not. We all have opinions. Nothing wrong with that. Do you really believe you have it all figured out though? I don't and I've been doing my thing for a long time. Even did it as a business of my own for a while. In my opinion, it's a little early to proclaim it anything but expensive, not for you, whatever.

I have the Ti version of the knife and that is completely different. I doubt I'll buy it but I wouldn't ever put myself in the position where I thought I knew more than Sal, Eric, Gail and all the rest. That's way too arrogant. If history proves them wrong, fine. Until then all I can really give is my opinion. You might not like it but that's all you can do as well. Anything else is above your pay grade. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

Donut

Post by Donut »

Popsickle wrote:Any of those steels and I would pull the trigger. And yes for that price (maybe more) you could find someone newer to the industry to custom build you a knife .
That's pretty much what I'm saying, a newbie to custom knife making is likely not going to make you a knife whose quality is on par with the Taiwan plant.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

The Mastiff wrote: Anything else is above your pay grade. :)
I could say the same about some of your pontifications regarding climate change in the off-topic forum ;)
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Forget it, I'm not going down this rabbit hole again - the "arrogant" and "above your pay grade" comments on my opinion are absurd and I'm not getting dragged into this silliness.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

Peanut butter jelly time!

: D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Forget it, I'm not going down this rabbit hole again - the "arrogant" and "above your pay grade" comments on my opinion are absurd and I'm not getting dragged into this silliness.
The most opinionated are usually the least tolerant of others having opinions. That's you! :)

The first one hasn't hit the market yet and you calling it a "swing and a miss" isn't the least arrogant eh?

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

This is really getting to be an interesting thread. Opinions vary and not all have to be correct or right. It's nice when they are right of course. There is only one way to be sure your opinion is correct. That would be to agree with me because I am always right. So, if you want to be right, just go along with what I think because I have never known myself to be wrong.

The Chaparral 3 is a beautiful knife. That is my opinion. It may be more expensive than what I can afford for the knife but that's no big deal. Lot's of knives are more expensive than I can afford. So, if your opinion is that the Chaparral 3 is not a beautiful knife that's fine, it's your opinion. You are wrong though because I think it's beautiful and I am always right. I think we can all agree with that. If anyone thinks I am not always right, please don't say anything because you will be wrong. I'm not trying to be insulting. It just sounds like that because I am always right.

Jack
Barman

Post by Barman »

jackknifeh wrote:This is really getting to be an interesting thread. Opinions vary and not all have to be correct or right. It's nice when they are right of course. There is only one way to be sure your opinion is correct. That would be to agree with me because I am always right. So, if you want to be right, just go along with what I think because I have never known myself to be wrong.

The Chaparral 3 is a beautiful knife. That is my opinion. It may be more expensive than what I can afford for the knife but that's no big deal. Lot's of knives are more expensive than I can afford. So, if your opinion is that the Chaparral 3 is not a beautiful knife that's fine, it's your opinion. You are wrong though because I think it's beautiful and I am always right. I think we can all agree with that. If anyone thinks I am not always right, please don't say anything because you will be wrong. I'm not trying to be insulting. It just sounds like that because I am always right.

Jack
Agreed. :D
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:Forget it, I'm not going down this rabbit hole again - the "arrogant" and "above your pay grade" comments on my opinion are absurd and I'm not getting dragged into this silliness.
If you stick around long enough, you will eventually find that in the eyes of many forum members, Spyderco can do no wrong.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Jay_Ev wrote:If you stick around long enough, you will eventually find that in the eyes of many forum members, Spyderco can do no wrong.
I find it amusing that I am being accused of being the "least tolerant" of anybody whose opinion differs from mine, when I outright said "I may be right, and I may be wrong".

I'm apparently entitled to my opinion, as long as it's the right opinion.

People who think this knife will sell like hotcakes could very well be correct - but I'm not going to call them names for having a different opinion from mine, despite what I'm being accused of.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

None of us have enough information to say how successful this knife will be. Luckily, all we have to do is decide whether or not to buy one, the rest is opinion.

"Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance." - Plato.
:bug-red-white
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm apparently entitled to my opinion, as long as it's the right opinion.
Oh, poor guy. You're being picked on now. :D

Do you realize I merely had a different opinion and stated it, same as you? How did you get to be a victim? Did I miss something?

If you post on forums people tend to respond to you. It's communication. A simple thing we do everyday. Get over it and get over yourself. I haven't even been disrespectful to you. I can post opinions just like you can and no one even has to agree with me. I won't act butthurt even. :)

Try it without drama.

mattman

Post by mattman »

gbelleh wrote:None of us have enough information to say how successful this knife will be. Luckily, all we have to do is decide whether or not to buy one, the rest is opinion.

"Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance." - Plato.
+1
Well said!
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I stated my opinion on a knife. You didn't state your opinion on the knife, you stated your opinion on me, then you accused me of things I neither said nor did. For all your talk about drama, you seem to be far more interested in it than me.

I'm not butthurt or crying about being a victim, I just think you are acting like a tool.

For real now, I am done with this conversation with you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mattman

Post by mattman »

I also always agree with everything Jack says, for the record... :D
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

We all know Kristi is going to have no other choice but come into the thread and cool it down, followed by all the "key players" of the thread apologizing and looking like even bigger fools.

Instead of having Kristi come in here and face palm, why dont you show some respect to her and the rest of the forum members.
Come Join Us Click Here