Manix 2 XL issue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Isoforger

Manix 2 XL issue

Post by Isoforger »

I just received my new Manix 2 XL and there is a QC issue. The seller has offered to accept return, but has no replacement stock. So ..... I'm either 1) out the shipping money (both ways) and have no knife, 2) accept the defect, or 3) ship it back to Spyderco and wait 3 weeks.

None of these are really acceptable.

Defect pics are posted. There is a gap between the liner and blade. Looks like the pins are too long or the G10 wasn't drilled deep enough. Either way, the blade wobbles when closed and doesn't line up when open.

I have a friend who advised me to post this so Sal would see it. He is a knife enthusiast and techie who has offered to fix it, but I'm concerned it would void my Spyderco warranty.

Any advice?
Attachments
pic4.JPG
pic3.JPG
pic2.JPG
pic1.JPG
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The manix 2 often has a blade that has play in the closed position.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd send that in to Spyderco...

You say waiting three weeks or whatever the waiting period might be is unacceptable, but any company you use the warranty of is going to take a while to get an item back to you. And the fact that Spyderco has such a great one should be more of a reason to send it in.
On the hunt for...
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Send it to Spyderco. I don't own a Manix but that does not look right to me. Which ever route you choose your going to be without the knife for awhile. As far as your friend fixing it the warranty would be voided.

This is also a good excuse purchase another model while the Manix is away ;)
BAL

Post by BAL »

It would seem like a long wait until you got it back, but on the other hand,
three weeks (or whatever the wait) will happen one way or the other, if you
send it in, then after 3 wks, all will be taken care of.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

having your friend fix it would definitely void your warranty, and that is definitely not normal. I just looked carefully at my Manix 2 XL and all the tolerances in that area are extremely tight and well-matched.

I'd send it back to Spyderco. A few weeks without a knife is nothing compared to the decades of use you'll get out of that well-made tool once the minor QC issue is taken care of. Nobody's perfect, and Spyderco takes great care of their customers.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

They may even replace it I would send it back to Spyderco then you will be assured of getting the quality you want.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Have you tried snugging up the screws that attach to the lock/stop bar? It could just be loose. I had a couple of Dodo's that came with the screws torked down oddly.

Another question I have is, how many washers are between the blade and the liner? You should be able to see that if you look closely at the view in Pic3.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Isoforger

Post by Isoforger »

Donut wrote:Have you tried snugging up the screws that attach to the lock/stop bar? It could just be loose. I had a couple of Dodo's that came with the screws torked down oddly.

Another question I have is, how many washers are between the blade and the liner? You should be able to see that if you look closely at the view in Pic3.
I haven't taken it apart (and I don't plan to). Screws look tight and I can't manually compress the liners/G10 with finger pressure to close the gap. Feels like the pins are bottomed out, but too long or G10 isn't drilled.

I can see the brass colored washers, but I can't see them well enough to count.

Thanks to you and everyone who has replied so far.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I would email Spyderco, explain the situation, and say you would like to send it in. I'm sure they will ask you to do so and they'll also be expecting it/have some context when it arrives. They'll take care of you.
Isoforger

Post by Isoforger »

jackthedog wrote:I would email Spyderco, explain the situation, and say you would like to send it in. I'm sure they will ask you to do so and they'll also be expecting it/have some context when it arrives. They'll take care of you.
I did that .... and got a "canned answer" to send in the knife with 5 bucks and they will review the situation. I fully realize that they answered as they should ... they can't (shouldn't) believe everyone (anyone) who sends in a quality complaint. The issue needs to be proven. I'm just a bit bummed that I got a bad knife .. but I do understand that "stuff" happens. The real test is how a company responds and I fully expect Spyderco to come through.

I plan to send the Manix 2 XL in for them to fix (hopefuly replace, as I bought a "new" knife). I completely trust Spyderco to do the right thing and take care of this. I bought a Spyderco partly based on their quality reputation. I am a VP of Quality Assurance and know what to expect.

I'll repost after I get "fixed up".
BAL

Post by BAL »

Can the gap be closed with a clamp (and thin padding to protect the scales) and then tighten the screws.
You might have mentioned this or done this, I just thought that I would mention.
endgame

Post by endgame »

They will return you're money if it is there fault the just say send the money because allot of people lie and it there ow. Fault.
00max00

Post by 00max00 »

This is clearly defective, why would you have to pay for the shipping? If they don't have any for replacement, they should give you a full refund plus shipping cost.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Send it back to Spyderco and wait three weeks. If that's the biggest inconvenience in your life right now...consider yourself lucky. Stuff happens and life doesn't always go as planned; distract yourself with something positive in the mean time. It will be good practice for the times to come when life throws you a true curve ball.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

send it back. my manix xl is pretty much perfect other than it showed up with a small chip and that went away with a sharpening
Isoforger

Post by Isoforger »

Popsickle wrote:send it back. my manix xl is pretty much perfect other than it showed up with a small chip and that went away with a sharpening
OK ... my knife techie friend convinced me to unscrew the scales and take a peek ....... the D pivot was not set. He turned it 90 degrees and all's well. My novice ignorance was made obvious.

Thanks to all who offered support and advice.

I love the Manix 2 XL and look to many years of use and enjoyment.
mattman

Post by mattman »

thanks for reporting back.

no worries on the "novice ignorance" bit... fortunately you have a knowledgeable/helpful friend to take care of it. I'm glad it worked out for you....

definitly one of those "no such thing as a dumb question" moments.

bet you learned a little more about your knife, too.
Isoforger

Post by Isoforger »

mattman wrote:thanks for reporting back.

no worries on the "novice ignorance" bit... fortunately you have a knowledgeable/helpful friend to take care of it. I'm glad it worked out for you....

definitly one of those "no such thing as a dumb question" moments.

bet you learned a little more about your knife, too.
You bet your "donkey" ..... I did learn a lot about the knife. It is a nice piece of work. Sal and the guys do a great job of design and execution. This is my first Spyderco, but not my last. I am impressed with the product, even though there was a "glitch" with my Manix ... it was nothing but a "thang". I appreciate all the support and replies I got ... great forum and Spydeco people here. Thanks to all.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Glad it was an easy fix and that your friend was able to get you up and running. Obviously you shouldn't have to fix it right out of the box, but every once in a while something like this happens and you were just the unlucky guy who got the one that slipped through QC. Enjoy your knife!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com