Delica lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Falco

Delica lock

Post by Falco »

Heya guys, I've got my white sprint run Delica here, which I've carried for a few years now. For some reason, the lock has quit working. I have no idea what happened. When opening or closing the knife, the lockbar on the back never even raises up. No snap, or anything. I cleaned out the area where it locks into, thinking that maybe there was something in there, but there's nothing.

Anyone know of a possible fix? I have the torx bits if I need to take it apart, I just haven't been brave enough to do it yet, I've always heard these are hard to put back together.

Thanks!
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Forgive me if you already know this, but if you take it apart, it loses Spyderco's warranty. If your goal is to figure it out, then a torx set and some patience will allow you to do this, but you run the risk of finding a broken lockbar or back spacer that is no longer under warranty because you disassembled it. Then you'd be out shipping and repair cost if it is the lockbar, but only out a parts kit if it is a back spacer.

If your goal is to figure it out, then take it apart but be prepared to pay more.
If your goal is to get you knife in working condition ASAP, then just go ahead contact Spydeco's warranty department.

If you go with the disassembly option, you might want to premptively purchase a parts kit.
Good luck

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Based on your description, I'm 99% certain that you've got a broken lockbar. For the lockbar to not raise up, The part of the lockbar that engages into the locking channel on the blade has to have broken off. I can't think of any way the backspacer could be the culprit as the lockbar would still have to raise up when you open the knife even if there is no spring tension to hold it in position. The blade tang could also have broken, but as with the spacer, the lockbar would still have to raise up if that were the case.

I'd send it in to Spyderco before disassembling it yourself. Although I've had my Delica apart many times, it's always best to let the pros handle situations like this.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would send it in as well. Assuming it hasn't been obviously abused they should make you whole with the warranty.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Even though it is tempting to take it apart for a look.... I'd send it in so the warranty is intact.
Falco

Post by Falco »

Thanks for all your responses, I think I'll take all your advice send her in soon.

@ASmitty, I would have to agree with you about the lockbar. When the knife is closed, the lockbar is sunk in more than my other spydies, as though the end of the lockbar has filed itself down from repeated opening/closings, or maybe just broken off.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Falco make sure you get another Delica to carry before you send the white one back to the mother ship ;) Two is one. one is none!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Is the spring still in it? You don't need to disassemble to check, and it's a possibility.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Open the knife and operate the lock release. If it doesn't snap down when you release pressure, your spring broke. Return it to Spyderco for a warranty assessment.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Does your blade open (almost fall out of the handle) without any effort at all? Even maybe fall out if you hold it upside down? If so your spring is broke, worked it's way out of the back spacer or the spring has lost it's spring. I have a Spyderco that I love that after a month or two the spring lost it's spring. I sent it in and got the replacement. A month or two later it lost it's spring again. After I got the new one I had disassembled it voiding the warranty. So, I bought some spring material from Jantz.com. I used it and the knife has been perfect since then. I won't mention the model or anything. If I was the only person to have this issue I'll chalk it up to bad luck. No biggie.