My new folding bowie :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonydahose

My new folding bowie :)

Post by tonydahose »

first and foremost I stole this idea from DCDesigns, here is the thread where he posted it. http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ht=lionspy

I just recently traded a sprint millie for another lionspy. I wanted a bit more curve than what DCD had done to his.

Drawing what to take off

Here it is taken apart. I like the way that they connect the clip to the knife. That lil thing a majing with the hole in it next to the end of the knife slides onto the pin and when the two handles come together it holds it in place. The screw for the clip screws into it nice and neatly.

Working the blade on a spindle sander

Here it is done sitting next to my stock one. Excuse the dessicant, the knives were leaning the wrong way for pics without them.

Overall thoughts on the knife. Some may not like it but i do and that's all that matters :) The knife now has a super pointy end and the classic look of a bowie knife which I love. As far as breaking the knife down, the tolerances are very very tight. Even after unscrewing everything I still needed to pry to get the knife apart and to get it back together I used my vise and some wood inserts (so as not scratch it up). I am alsoo digging the special screws on the pivot and clip. I think it looks much cleaner than the torx spyderco currently uses. It would nice to see on some other models. I am still debating whether or not to drill into the screw for the clip and add a window break to it.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I'd like to see the transition in the spine a little more subtle and closer to the spyderhole, but that's stunning anyway. That's a Rambo folder!
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I like it! Great job!
endgame

Post by endgame »

I like it but I still love my original. I have no idea why anyone wouldn't like the lionspy its a well built tank of a knife.its the sr-1 but lighter with s spydie hole.I have both and the spydie is better.well worth the cash.cool lock on it great steal and pocket clip.titanium back and frame lock.super thick spine..Italian made.what's not to like.
Senate

Post by Senate »

change the name from Lion to RhinoSpy :)
great job Tony!
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
BAL

Post by BAL »

Nice work Tony, it takes a little chutzpah to start grinding on a knife like that,
but it turned out nice, and like you said, you are the one that needs to be pleased
anyway.

Like nirvanero said, I would be curious to see a more gradual transition, but you
would also be taking away some of the strength and beef from the blade, but maybe
a little more weight too.

Very nice.
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

cool like it
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

I like it, turns a near useless tip into something worth using. I would also normally say I'd like to see a more gradual clipped point, however the dramatic and short clip on this really fits the overall look.

that said, the lion spy is probably one of the least appealing knives spyderco has come out with in recent history for me. different strokes. though the custom tip does make it a bit more useful.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Senate wrote:change the name from Lion to RhinoSpy :)
great job Tony!
lol, a good nane for a bowie sprint run I think. Great job on the grinding, I like the blade a lot better with this mod.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Awesome job -- I'm loving it. And +1 on the Window Break... MHO. :cool: :cool:

- SB / Bruce
Holland

Post by Holland »

awesome job! looks like it came from the factory that way!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Senate wrote:change the name from Lion to RhinoSpy :)
great job Tony!
Dude you need to drop your keyboard on the ground and just get up and walk out of the room. No one could top that, you just owned the show! RhinoSpy should be made!
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

nirvanero wrote:I'd like to see the transition in the spine a little more subtle and closer to the spyderhole, but that's stunning anyway. That's a Rambo folder!
This.

Nice work!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Now THAT is a confident man! The idea of futzing around with a $250-ish knife make my parts want to retract back up into my body cavity.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.