Should I buy yo' Military Left?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Should I buy yo' Military Left?

Post by DougC-3 »

My first Spyderco knife arrived 6 weeks ago, and since then I've bought four more. Now it looks like I'm about to buy number six, a left-handed Military. (I'm a lefty as you may have guessed.) This is getting dangerously close to one knife a week :eek: Maybe Spydecoholism really does exist -- this is probably more knives than I've bought in the last 25 years combined. (Other new buyers beware.) Here are some of my thoughts about the decision:

Cons: It' just a tad bigger than my Manix2 XL (but lighter), so I already have a big knife. I love the ergos of the XL (my all-time favorite knife) and don't see how I could possibly like the millie better. The shape of the XL is closer to my mythical notions about the way a knife should look, and it's taking me a little time to get used to the shape of the paras and millies. And all this knife money could be going into a retirement fund -- I may someday wind up the best-armed (with knives) person getting meals-on-wheels :(

Pros: If I don't get the millie I'll never be able to compare it to the Manix2 XL and never know. I suspect I'll like them both but for different times and purposes. I've always wanted a left handed liner lock, and Spyderco went to the trouble to make one, so the least I can do is buy one and give it a try. Moreover, the lefty millie was in the 2012 catalog but not the 3013 catalog. And it has been put on sale on the Spyderco site. And it is showing up at the friendly neighborhood online bidding site for a paltry $115. This sounds dangerously like it is being discontinued, so it looks like it may be now or never... and, oh yes, I may someday be the best-armed person getting meals-on-wheels :D Be back in a bit -- I've gotta go order a knife :)
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Well I am the worst person to comment on your post if you are hoping for someone to dissuade you. I put off getting a military for a long time mostly because of the size and having just got one I have to say, I love it. Being left handed I would think it would be a good opportunity, if it does get discounted that would not be good for you. I read a quote the other day and what it read was" when I got my military I thought it was too big, after carrying it for a week I realized my other knives were too small". So far I would have to whole heartedly agree with that statement. Buy the knife **** it before its too late :eek: ...kidding as always.

ps I also have a Manix2 (not an XL but I feel the love) it is an incredible knife but the military is totally different, they are both exceptional knives.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

The Military is a great knife you won't be disappointed. I am also a lefty and there are not that many dedicated left-hand knife options out there for us. I believe they are discontinuing the LH version. As far as your retirement account goes if you look at the older disco'd models you will see the price usually goes up on them eventually. I bet you won't loose money on it after 10yrs of ownership.

Btw This is not the place to asks for help on NOT purchasing a knife
Phantazm

Post by Phantazm »

Do it. I preordered a cruwear military after buying my first spydie a month ago. I doubt I'll get it since the fine print says they can't guarantee purchase but are taking orders. Either way, I'll end up buying one anyways if this doesn't go through.
Barman

Post by Barman »

I'm in the same boat. A Starmate, Caly 3.5 and a Caly 3 in the last 3 weeks and another Caly 3.5 on the way and a Pre-order on an Endura Super Blue which I'm getting antsy for. I'll also be queued up for some Meals on Wheels. :(

Now I'm off to make the decision to pick up that shiny new Persian that is on sale... :rolleyes:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

@DRKBC, I'm definitely leaning toward big knives -- the smallest one I've bought so far is the Caly 3.5, the little big knife :)

@billy blade, this is the only dedicated lefty I've seen at the Spyderco site, and I'm curious to know what others they've built in the past. I have bought cheap linerlock right handed knives in the past and always wind up modifying the handles to make them easier to use left handed.

@Phantazm, I would love to have a cruwear millie. One of the things I'm trying to do is have a different blade steel in as many knives as possible, but in this one case, I'm going to let handedness trump blade material. Good luck with your preorder -- I'll bet it'll go through.

@Barman, sounds like we're definitely in the same boat. I would love to have a super blue Endura... I'll have to look into that, right after I get this millie ordered :)
Senate

Post by Senate »

one day you might want the size of the manix XL without the weight and that's when the Milie comes into play. honestly the Milie is an all-time classic, you can't NOT have one in your hoard... :)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
BAL

Post by BAL »

Everyone should own a Military.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I ordered one last night, to arrive on or before Friday :rolleyes:
endgame

Post by endgame »

Highly addictive and 100% true
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

billy blade wrote:This is not the place to asks for help on NOT purchasing a knife
Right.
BAL wrote:Everyone should own a Military.
Right.
DougC-3 wrote:I ordered one last night, to arrive on or before Friday :rolleyes:
All right! My favorite model from Spyderco, I hope you enjoy it, give it time and it will grow on you.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Doug! I'm in the same lefty boat. After using my PM2 last night in the yard I seriously considered a LH Military. Where'd you order yours from? I see the Trading Post has a few and I can't argue with the price.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

DougC-3 wrote:I ordered one last night, to arrive on or before Friday :rolleyes:
Way to go Doug C! I think you are going to enjoy it.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Clip wrote:Doug! I'm in the same lefty boat. After using my PM2 last night in the yard I seriously considered a LH Military. Where'd you order yours from? I see the Trading Post has a few and I can't argue with the price.
Two or three sellers on eBay have it for around $120 including shipping. I'm not familiar with the Trading Post -- I'll have to check it out!
Barman

Post by Barman »

You talked me into ordering a Millie for myself. ;)

See you in line at the soup kitchen. :o
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

crap...now you are making me want a proper lefty one.

I have right handed ones, but a lefty one would be nice to have.
On the hunt for...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

nirvanero wrote:Right.

Right.

All right! My favorite model from Spyderco, I hope you enjoy it, give it time and it will grow on you.
Wow! A dozen Militaries! (but no lefties ;) )
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Barman wrote:You talked me into ordering a Millie for myself. ;)

See you in line at the soup kitchen. :o
Go ahead, I don't think you'll go wrong, but we'd better hold them down in line -- if they see them they may put us to work in the kitchen ;)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:crap...now you are making me want a proper lefty one.

I have right handed ones, but a lefty one would be nice to have.
Right -- I think it's great to have one in each pocket for each hand! ;)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Senate wrote:one day you might want the size of the manix XL without the weight and that's when the Milie comes into play. honestly the Milie is an all-time classic, you can't NOT have one in your hoard... :)
I think those are both very good points and I considered both when I was making my decision! By the way, isn't it great what a cosmopolitan bunch of people we have on these forums!