Spyderco Steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
airsoftgun99

Spyderco Steel?

Post by airsoftgun99 »

Hey guys! I'm like brand new here. I just have a few questions on the steels spyderco has. For example, h1, aus8, vg10 and others. For all you spydie fans, someone pease tell me what is in these steels. For example, 8cr13mov. I have no clue what consists of it. I heard there's like 8% chromium so it makes it stainless steel, right? I have no idea haha. I need an explanation please (just so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about :p )
araneae

Post by araneae »

welcome aboard, go to spyderco.com and check out the edgeucation tab.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Yeah you really wanting to get schooled here??? Go get yourself and edgeucation my boy.

H1 appears to be rust free.

VG 10 > AUS 8

AUS 8 reminds me of 8cr13mov.

Give your airsoft boys a kiss for me :)
mattman

Post by mattman »

Zknives has a thorough comparison chart, as well.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Still wont make your statements about steel validated even if you learn the whole composition of every steel.
Eg C.R.K.T use 8cr13Mov and its a world apart from spydercos .
Wether that be the HT QC or what idk but the latter is how it should be done.
I've a folts and the 8CR has rusted and came dull wont take a keen edge .
I know its not my skills (someone else tried ;) ) .
I find the edumacation in the spyderco book to be very useful phone the guys at golden and ask to send you one.
airsoftgun99

Post by airsoftgun99 »

ginsuwarrior wrote:Yeah you really wanting to get schooled here??? Go get yourself and edgeucation my boy.
Lol, at least I can spell correctly.
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/

LOL

airsoftgun99 wrote:Lol, at least I can spell correctly.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Besides the afore mentioned Spyderco edge-u-cation try this site http://www.zknives.com/knives/articles/ ... lfaq.shtml for a discussion of steels. I disagree (as to many) of the characterization of Sandvik steels, though. Otherwise, it is very helpful. VG-10 is a great performer, BTW. http://www.zknives.com/knives/articles/ ... lfaq.shtml
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Clip

Post by Clip »

Generally, stainless steels have 12+% chrome.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
endgame

Post by endgame »

Wow you just opened a can of worms. Get some advil and prepare to be schooled from these guys/gals.they are the most knowledgeable on steels of any site.very impressive.I don't no to much about steels but reading what these guys/gals post has been teaching me well.spyderco knives has the biggest array of steels on there knives a genious move on sals part great way to sell different versions of the same knife.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Typically the combination of carbon and chromium decides if it's stainless or not.

The minimum chromium (assuming something unlike H1) a "stainless steel" has to have is between 10.5-11%. As you increase carbon some of that chromium turns into carbides for edge retention which counteracts the stainless properties. That's why D2 with 11.5% (give or take) is seen as a "semi-stainless tool steel".

Typically you need mid to high teens in Chromium for close to 1% of carbon to exhibit "good" corrosion properties.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

airsoftgun99 wrote:Hey guys! I'm like brand new here. I just have a few questions on the steels spyderco has. For example, h1, aus8, vg10 and others. For all you spydie fans, someone pease tell me what is in these steels. For example, 8cr13mov. I have no clue what consists of it. I heard there's like 8% chromium so it makes it stainless steel, right? I have no idea haha. I need an explanation please (just so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about :p )
If you want alloy compositions you can google them and find that out pretty easily.

8cr13mov has .8% carbon, 13% chromium and some molybdenum and vanadium. Yes it is stainless.

I find that 8cr13mov takes a very sharp edge easily, holds it reasonably well, and is easy to sharpen. Many people prefer alloys with a high percentage of carbides, but for everyday tasks you can get by with pretty much any steel. I like the easy to sharpen steels like 8cr because it will dull, sure, but it takes about a minute to get it shaving sharp again. If you need to perform specialized tasks you should use the appropriate tool, but 8cr13mov isn't a bad steel by any stretch of the imagination.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Airsoftgun,

Welcome to our forums.

Steel is a very complicated subject. We are fortunate that we have many very knowledgable visitors here. Part of the draw is that Eric and I are Steel junky's so the interest is a core value at Spyderco.

We work with many excellent foundries that make exceptional steels. Keep also in mind that processing blade steels is also important which is why you may hear that the same steel might perform differently depending on the maker. Just saying that your knife is VG-10 might only be part of the story. Enjoy your ege-u-cation. The edge is a woundrous thing and the steel is a major part.

sal
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Welcome aboard! This is the greatest forum on the web.