What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Tims »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:41 pm
Tims wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:23 am
Vivi, I know you like your Police 4, what’s your take on the Caly vs Police 4?
The Calypso is really nice. If I had to name my three favorite folding Spydercos at the moment, I'd go Police 4, Pacific Salt SE, Calypso. But I prefer the Police 4 as an EDC for being easier to replace, having a longer blade, and a more secure grip.

The Calypso feels like a gents knife sized my big hands. It's very smooth and refined feeling, with lots of highly polished details. The Police feels like more of a work horse.

The pinned construction that has me worried about getting corrosion on the liners, and being a discontinued sprint, make it tough to want to EDC it the way I would a current model.

I'd love to see it make a come back as a screw construction lightweight model in BD1N. It's very light and compact for the size of blade it packs into the handle.
TheSpur22 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:05 pm
Love this knife!!!

ImageSpyderco_M4-Shaman080 by Jasper Beamer, on Flickr
Those were really tempting. I may cave and give the Shaman a shot when the DLC version comes out.

Tonight at work:
Vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:35 am
Thanks for taking the time to reply mate.
A screw construction frn Calypso is something I could definately get behind. Ditto all the Caly models.
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

55526907_2287679681294627_5221543671920328704_o.jpg
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Hap40.jpg
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20190329_104004.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Attachments
2019-03-29 08.04.17.jpg
2019-03-29 08.03.50.jpg
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Nice pic!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Stretch1 Fully Serrated
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My Endura 4. I have a Bug on the way that I won on a Giveaway 😀
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've noticed you posting the Caly Jr lately Connor. Seems like a smaller knife than you typically carry. How do you like it?

-Rick
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Last edited by GiftedMisfit on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:47 pm
I've noticed you posting the Caly Jr lately Connor. Seems like a smaller knife than you typically carry. How do you like it?

I like it a lot, especially for the steel, which I reprofiled to about 10 dps with a 30° microbevel. With that kind of edge/steel combo, achieving extreme sharpness is practically effortless.
The knife design is pretty good ergonomically speaking, except that in use, my thumb usually wants to sit on the spine forward of the hump, and since the spine is swedged, that makes it a bit uncomfortable for prolonged hard use. For normal tasks I don't mind it too much. I really wish though that with such a rust-prone steel, it wasn't a pinned construction, but oh well. I just try to be a little more careful with it than normal. Overall it's a fine knife IMO.

You're right, it is a bit on the small side for me. :) To be honest though, I'll often have a larger knife (Like my Pacific Salt) clipped IWB, or my Military or Police model in my RFP with a smaller knife either clipped to my shirt pocket or watch pocket. I can, and have, EDC'd only a small knife but it doesn't feel right, somehow, not to have the ability to cut a 5-gallon bucket in half on demand. :p :rolleyes:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Partially Serrated Spyderco Stretch VG10 Stainless Slabs Kraton inlays. = Grail knife it does it all Baby! :D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:15 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I like it a lot, especially for the steel, which I reprofiled to about 10 dps with a 30° microbevel. With that kind of edge/steel combo, achieving extreme sharpness is practically effortless.
The knife design is pretty good ergonomically speaking, except that in use, my thumb usually wants to sit on the spine forward of the hump, and since the spine is swedged, that makes it a bit uncomfortable for prolonged hard use. For normal tasks I don't mind it too much. I really wish though that with such a rust-prone steel, it wasn't a pinned construction, but oh well. I just try to be a little more careful with it than normal. Overall it's a fine knife IMO.

You're right, it is a bit on the small side for me. :) To be honest though, I'll often have a larger knife (Like my Pacific Salt) clipped IWB, or my Military or Police model in my RFP with a smaller knife either clipped to my shirt pocket or watch pocket. I can, and have, EDC'd only a small knife but it doesn't feel right, somehow, not to have the ability to cut a 5-gallon bucket in half on demand. :p :rolleyes:
Thanks for taking time to give your impression. I was pretty surprised, I'm used to you with your Police or Millie. Funny you say that about the ergos...I recently acquired my first Dragonfly and find myself doing the same thing with the spine. I have a Chaparral as well and do the same thing with that knife as well...though lack of a hump makes it easier, as I'm sure it is with the Caly Jr. Something about these smaller knives though...they just appeal, fit, work :)

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:34 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:15 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Thanks for taking time to give your impression. I was pretty surprised, I'm used to you with your Police or Millie. Funny you say that about the ergos...I recently acquired my first Dragonfly and find myself doing the same thing with the spine. I have a Chaparral as well and do the same thing with that knife as well...though lack of a hump makes it easier, as I'm sure it is with the Caly Jr. Something about these smaller knives though...they just appeal, fit, work :)

I know what you mean. :) How are you liking that Dragonfly so far BTW? I've yet to pick up anything in V-TOKU 2.
- Connor

GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

This guy hasn't left my pocket since I got it, a couple days ago

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Holland

Post by Holland »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:20 pm
Partially Serrated Spyderco Stretch VG10 Stainless Slabs Kraton inlays. = Grail knife it does it all Baby! :D
I think we need to see a photo! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE