What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by aicolainen »

Avoiding personal decay is a crucial part of the current home office situation

Upped my EDC game this week… now let’s see if I can go the whole week without defaulting to salt knives and outdoor pants…

<office view>

<walk around “the block” during my break>
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Duuuuuuude niiiiiice. I think I developed plantar fasciitis over my year of teleworking from wearing nothing but flip flops and slippers! I’m so glad to be back in the office and doing fieldwork again. Although I miss the savings on gas, esp now that it cost $70 to fill the tank. Thanks for that, Joe...
vivi

Post by vivi »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:52 am
Avoiding personal decay is a crucial part of the current home office situation

Upped my EDC game this week… now let’s see if I can go the whole week without defaulting to salt knives and outdoor pants…

<office view>

<walk around “the block” during my break>
What's that flashlight? I'm in the market for a new EDC light.
:unicorn
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:39 am
Enactive wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:30 pm
All cleaned up after work and ended up like this. I do enjoy that handy little pocket. :cool:

PXL_20210611_210615055sm.jpg
Nice!
Norrøna?
Takk!

Indeed, i am a huge fan. Their stuff is so nice and fits me very well... i am pretty much exactly a medium. It's great for those of us who are long- limbed and lean. The quality meets or exceeds Arc'teryx, often with better colors and styles. I first became familiar on our first trip to Norway some years ago. I am itching for another ski hut trip in Norway, maybe next year?

I have lived vicariously through your photos.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:53 am

Small knives and small lights, at least I'm consistent :)

That's a Four Sevens Preon P1 mk3. Not cheap and not very fancy either, just a well built light with a very good tail switch that never activates in my pocket.
https://darksucks.com/collections/fours ... i-titanium

My other favorite AAA lights, worth consideration, is Prometheus Lights Beta QR and ReyLight Pineapple mini.
The ReyLight is slightly larger in pocket, but also most bang for buck. It takes 10440 Li-ion cells so brightness and run time (at comparable output) is on another level.
I bought my Pineapple mini directly from ReyLight, but it seems you can get them from CountyComm now, which is probably easier for those of you in the US:
https://countycomm.com/collections/view ... rt-charger

Found an old picture where you see the Preon and Reylight side by side, but not the Beta QR unfortunately.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:37 am
Duuuuuuude niiiiiice.

8< --------
Thanks, duuuude :)
Enactive wrote:

Takk!

Indeed, i am a huge fan. Their stuff is so nice and fits me very well... i am pretty much exactly a medium. It's great for those of us who are long- limbed and lean. The quality meets or exceeds Arc'teryx, often with better colors and styles. I first became familiar on our first trip to Norway some years ago. I am itching for another ski hut trip in Norway, maybe next year?

I have lived vicariously through your photos.
Some 20 years ago, I would have bought Norrøna exclusively if I could only afford it. They still make very good gear, but I can't help feeling they're leaning slightly toward outdoor fashion rather than the pure performance they used to be known for. Can't blame them though, there's a lot of money to be made by appealing to the masses. Actually, I was in a local sport store yesterday to see if I could find a Fjørå Flex1 pant, so they still manage to pull me in from time to time :D

Hope you're able to make another trip before long. Hard to say these days, but at least it's looking better right now.
I'm not at all disappointed by the prospect of yet another domestic summer vacation, but there's also a lot of places in the US I would like to visit some day, so I guessing you'll get by quite nicely as well.
I was totally unaware that my photos was substituting for peoples vacation plans, so maybe I should up my photo efforts too :)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I like your office better than mine aicolainen! :)

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
vivi

Post by vivi »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 am
vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:53 am

Small knives and small lights, at least I'm consistent :)

That's a Four Sevens Preon P1 mk3. Not cheap and not very fancy either, just a well built light with a very good tail switch that never activates in my pocket.
https://darksucks.com/collections/fours ... i-titanium

My other favorite AAA lights, worth consideration, is Prometheus Lights Beta QR and ReyLight Pineapple mini.
The ReyLight is slightly larger in pocket, but also most bang for buck. It takes 10440 Li-ion cells so brightness and run time (at comparable output) is on another level.
I bought my Pineapple mini directly from ReyLight, but it seems you can get them from CountyComm now, which is probably easier for those of you in the US:
https://countycomm.com/collections/view ... rt-charger

Found an old picture where you see the Preon and Reylight side by side, but not the Beta QR unfortunately.
Thank you.

My current favorite light is a Fenix PD25. I've been trying to find something of a similar size but a bit thinner. AAA size would be perfect. Something longer would be fine too, width is what gets me.

Got a Streamlight Microstream USB and a Rovyvon USBC pen light in the mail, but I'm taking a close look at every model you mentioned to see if any of them would work better than my current options.

EDIT: The preon isn't as bright as I'm looking for, but the Reylight Ti may be the one for me. Now I just need to find a battery with built in USB charging that would work with it, something like this - http://www.iangelapower.com/index.php?c ... how&aid=67
:unicorn
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:36 am

Thank you.

My current favorite light is a Fenix PD25. I've been trying to find something of a similar size but a bit thinner. AAA size would be perfect. Something longer would be fine too, width is what gets me.

Got a Streamlight Microstream USB and a Rovyvon USBC pen light in the mail, but I'm taking a close look at every model you mentioned to see if any of them would work better than my current options.
I feel the same way regarding width vs length. I rather have a slightly longer AAA light in my pocket than a ultra short and chubby CR123.

Other power sources have their place in specific applications, but AAA / 10440 is definitely my favorite for EDC. I've tried a lot of different AAA lights the last couple of years, but after getting the three I mentioned, I'm done. Totally satisfied. Don't spend a second researching lights anymore. Even just one of them would be enough, but... well... I'm a nerd. I've stopped buying, and that's a big win for now.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:36 am

EDIT: The preon isn't as bright as I'm looking for, but the Reylight Ti may be the one for me. Now I just need to find a battery with built in USB charging that would work with it, something like this - http://www.iangelapower.com/index.php?c ... how&aid=67
The Reylight has very good brightness for it's size, as well as good color temperature / high CRI and it looks pretty nice to booth.

I don't have a lot of experience with batteries with built-in USB charging. The Preon came with one that has worked impeccably, but that's a regulated 1.5V cell, and I can't see that same maker (PaleBlue) offering any 10440 equivalents
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:31 am
I like your office better than mine aicolainen! :)

If it's any comfort, there are very few days that are outdoor office friendly around here. And it only really works when I'm reading / researching, so most of the time my home office looks very similar to yours. Without the friendly Santa, though
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Carried the CS exc Endura last night while teaching a friend to ride a motorcycle.

Just the ARK today :)

FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

20cv Delica and a new sketchbook.

ThomC

Post by ThomC »

M4 C36 at work from morning to mid-afternoon, and Chef for an extra shift at the restaurant tonight.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

My just arrived Kapara…
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:45 am
i love how you have an eat'n tool attached to your knife. always be prepared!

🤣
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Dark Green Military was swapped for my upgraded Cruwear Manix 2.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's been difficult to kick the caribbean out of my pocket lately. if spyderco ever blacks out the caribbean, i'll never need another knife. i'd just get a pe leaf to carry with my se sheepsfoot and be done.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:26 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:45 am
i love how you have an eat'n tool attached to your knife. always be prepared!

🤣

:D :D :D always prepared! I've had it for several years and it's always with me.
While the spork has been useful, I mostly use the pry bar, screw driver, and bottle opener. I used the wrenches on it for the first time the other day to remove several covers from my A/C to clean the fins. I've been on the hunt for the perfect one-piece tool for a while. Hoping Spyderco makes one soon :)