What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20200601_150324.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:33 am
Gorgeous scenery, terrible lock...

I'm conflicted, lol!
Same here. I bought an S90V Manix 2 XL to try the steel and the lock. I just couldn't use it comfortably. I much prefer compression, frame and linerlocks. I sold it to somebody who'll appreciate it more.
Tip-up carry only compounded the issue. I'm used to drawing the knife and opening it in a single motion. I'll pass on CBBL.
However there's no denying the character and quality of the knife design. The blade was great.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ThomC wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:32 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Gorgeous scenery, terrible lock...

I'm conflicted, lol!
Same here. I bought an S90V Manix 2 XL to try the steel and the lock. I just couldn't use it comfortably. I much prefer compression, frame and linerlocks. I sold it to somebody who'll appreciate it more.
Tip-up carry only compounded the issue. I'm used to drawing the knife and opening it in a single motion. I'll pass on CBBL.
However there's no denying the character and quality of the knife design. The blade was great.
Agreed. I loved the design, just not the lock.

I really liked the crazy jimping, which was one of the reasons I never bought the backlock.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

This guy was on yard work duty today.
DDAF237A-0D39-4B64-8CC6-278A4B5E4740.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Out at the gazebo

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:10 pm
Out at the gazebo

So, where did the Enduratary scales come from? Suingab?

Looks nice.

I'm toting around my new Micro Dyad. The condition was a bit worse than advertised, but I'm not going to sweat it on this one. Gives me a reason to to get it re-inlayed.

I've been wanting another for a long time, now I'm on the hunt for a nice Black Pearl version like my original.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

After buying a few Spydercos last year I find that I mostly carry the PM2 S35VN and the Endura SE Wharncliffe depending on what I am doing. During the rainy winter working outdoors I was often carrying my Pacific Salt SE.

I have a PM3 S35VN but the blade seems too stubby. The PM2 feels like the perfect size. I find longer handles stay in my pocket better, too. S35VN also is a very good steel for me. I don’t like long sharpening session on my M390 Benchmade Barrage. S35 gives a good edge and holds it well enough while still being fairly easy to sharpen. Can’t say I see much difference from S30V but both are good for me. I got the S35VN versions mainly for the brown scales!

I am thinking of trying a Military S110V or Native Chief this year. If the Military had a reversible clip it would be a no brained for me. Although right-handed I don’t like the idea of a cumbersome draw and open if I need to be using my left hand (sometimes doing small repair jobs I stuff my right pocket with screwdrivers and wrenches).

Short answer: PM2 has become my favorite EDC. But like most Spyderco owners there are so many other models that interest me for different situations.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 am
That's a thing of beauty my friend.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:35 am
Mainly the operation of the lock. The lock is difficult to actuate and less reliable in the grand scheme(more pieces that can fail)

I have had many of them, both BBL and CBBL. All hot garbage.

One of my favorite knives is the Dodo, but I always end up getting rid of them because of the lock. I would kill for a Compression Dodo.

My list goes like this:

Compression>Backlock>Framelock>Linerlock>Feces>C/BBL
Hehe

I really wanted to like it, It's a neat design. I have had 10 or 12 knives that were CBBL or BBL, but it was a 100% no, everytime.

Even a WTC knife that I found in a pawnshop for $20 wasn't enough for me to keep a CBBL around.
ThomC wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thanks for your explanations, guys!

Valid opinions of course, which I do respect, especially since at least you,Sumdumguy, have clearly used more CBBL (and BBL) knives than I myself have.

Still: I am really just puzzled in the sense that there is something going on I just can´t fully comprehend (and again, no critique towards you guys, just something I don´t get):

How can it be that I and obviously many others can use the CBBL very comfortably, find it amazingly strong and reliable, heard of no actual fail, but you don´t just prefer other locks (which I could understand), but literally find the CBBL "hot garbage"?!

I mean, I too have preferences when it comes to lock types of course: So I do prefer the CBBL over the comp. lock for example.
But do I literally hate the comp. lock thus? Not at all!! If all my knives only came with a comp. lock, I´d still be a very happy camper.

So: I just don´t get it (but respect your opinion): Sitting here with my Manix, which even happens to have a rather stiff CBBL compared to others I´ve handled, and it is just a dream to operate in many ways - just some examples:

- Pull the lock tab with just the thumb and guide the blade to close with the index finger in the opening hole.
- Do the same, but guide the blade only half way to close and then close it like a backlock for the rest of the way
- Pull the lock with thumb and index finger, let the choil drop on the middle finger, close like a backlock from there on
- Same as above, but pull the lock just with the thumb, let the choil drop on the index finger
- Close "comp-lock-ish": Fingers all out of the blade path, pull the lock and swing the blade to close

Anyway, no problem if this remains a mystery to me... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:46 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mainly the operation of the lock. The lock is difficult to actuate and less reliable in the grand scheme(more pieces that can fail)

I have had many of them, both BBL and CBBL. All hot garbage.

One of my favorite knives is the Dodo, but I always end up getting rid of them because of the lock. I would kill for a Compression Dodo.

My list goes like this:

Compression>Backlock>Framelock>Linerlock>Feces>C/BBL
Hehe

I really wanted to like it, It's a neat design. I have had 10 or 12 knives that were CBBL or BBL, but it was a 100% no, everytime.

Even a WTC knife that I found in a pawnshop for $20 wasn't enough for me to keep a CBBL around.
ThomC wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Valid opinions of course, which I do respect, especially since at least you,Sumdumguy, have clearly used more CBBL (and BBL) knives than I myself have.

Still: I am really just puzzled in the sense that there is something going on I just can´t fully comprehend (and again, no critique towards you guys, just something I don´t get):

How can it be that I and obviously many others can use the CBBL very comfortably, find it amazingly strong and reliable, heard of no actual fail, but you don´t just prefer other locks (which I could understand), but literally find the CBBL "hot garbage"?!

I mean, I too have preferences when it comes to lock types of course: So I do prefer the CBBL over the comp. lock for example.
But do I literally hate the comp. lock thus? Not at all!! If all my knives only came with a comp. lock, I´d still be a very happy camper.

So: I just don´t get it (but respect your opinion): Sitting here with my Manix, which even happens to have a rather stiff CBBL compared to others I´ve handled, and it is just a dream to operate in many ways - just some examples:

- Pull the lock tab with just the thumb and guide the blade to close with the index finger in the opening hole.
- Do the same, but guide the blade only half way to close and then close it like a backlock for the rest of the way
- Pull the lock with thumb and index finger, let the choil drop on the middle finger, close like a backlock from there on
- Same as above, but pull the lock just with the thumb, let the choil drop on the index finger
- Close "comp-lock-ish": Fingers all out of the blade path, pull the lock and swing the blade to close

It's a matter of both lock and clip position to me. The comp and linerlocks are easier to use repetitively to my hand, and like I said, I'm a tip-down guy (no pun intended).
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ThomC wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:46 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
ThomC wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

It's a matter of both lock and clip position to me. The comp and linerlocks are easier to use repetitively to my hand, and like I said, I'm a tip-down guy (no pun intended).

Thanks for your reply!
Sure, if you like tip down the CBBL is not for you just by design...
On the "clip position" thing: If you mean that one has to use the clip as rest for the fingers when pulling the lock: This is really not the case! If you still had a CBBL knife, I´d ask you to try some of the methods I described above and you´d see...

But again: No problem of course if we have different preferences when it comes to locks! :)
I was just puzzled by the very strong dislike of the CBBL
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

The combo is better.

embry386

Post by embry386 »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:19 pm
After buying a few Spydercos last year I find that I mostly carry the PM2 S35VN and the Endura SE Wharncliffe depending on what I am doing. During the rainy winter working outdoors I was often carrying my Pacific Salt SE.

I have a PM3 S35VN but the blade seems too stubby. The PM2 feels like the perfect size. I find longer handles stay in my pocket better, too. S35VN also is a very good steel for me. I don’t like long sharpening session on my M390 Benchmade Barrage. S35 gives a good edge and holds it well enough while still being fairly easy to sharpen. Can’t say I see much difference from S30V but both are good for me. I got the S35VN versions mainly for the brown scales!

I am thinking of trying a Military S110V or Native Chief this year. If the Military had a reversible clip it would be a no brained for me. Although right-handed I don’t like the idea of a cumbersome draw and open if I need to be using my left hand (sometimes doing small repair jobs I stuff my right pocket with screwdrivers and wrenches).

Short answer: PM2 has become my favorite EDC. But like most Spyderco owners there are so many other models that interest me for different situations.
Have you considered the Police? Just throwing it out there as a recommendation for you if you're looking at big knives. I have the lightweight version and really like it. It's got a very thin and slice-y blade, awesome for cardboard boxes. And the ergonomics of the handle are great, and the slight negative blade angle too.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:02 am
Thanks for your reply!
Sure, if you like tip down the CBBL is not for you just by design...
On the "clip position" thing: If you mean that one has to use the clip as rest for the fingers when pulling the lock: This is really not the case! If you still had a CBBL knife, I´d ask you to try some of the methods I described above and you´d see...

But again: No problem of course if we have different preferences when it comes to locks! :)
I was just puzzled by the very strong dislike of the CBBL
The two-finger action was what caused me the most discomfort. I wouldn't call the CBBL hot garbo, just not for me.
Oh btw you were right about my PM1's sharpening angle.
20° on the SM made it much more effective. Turns out it was the factory angle
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Another day for me with the vintage titanium salsa.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:47 am
Another day for me with the vintage titanium salsa.

Nice, one of these days I'm going to get one of those bad boys!

Warstein: I'll expand my original answer a bit.

My job for many years was selling and installing windows and doors. It was a very physically and mentally demanding job to do, at the level I required.

I carried a knife in my pocket for occasions where my razor knife was not with me, whether I dropped it while up on a ladder or whatever.

My requirements for a knife were to be able to operate it with one hand, without looking or even thinking about it. It has to be like a reflex.

When you are 30+ feet in the air, standing on the top rung of a ladder having to cut material out of an opening so that the new window will slide properly into said opening, one hand on the wall and one hand on the knife, I have to be able to close that knife instantly, without even thinking about it.

The CBBL always required me to shift my grip substantially and make a mental effort to close it. In the above situation, that is extremely dangerous.

Whereas, with a compression lock, I just tap the lock tab and the blade falls shut. I don't have to think about it, look at it, or make any effort. Just hit the button and stick it in my pocket.

That is why I consider the CBBL/BBL to be "hot garbage". It wasn't the safest option for what I did.

Now I'm retired from that line of work and while my needs have changed, my feelings towards the CBBL remain.

I hope this provides you with a bit of insight into my reasons for disliking that lock. I would never fully condemn something without first vetting it thoroughly.

-Thomas Jefferson
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:19 pm

Boomer52 on bladeforums.com
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20200603_152637.jpeg
Resized_20200603_152657.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick