What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Welcome, good choice, I love the Delica.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Domino for the first half of the day, DLC Manix 2 for the rest. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Holland

Post by Holland »

HinFL wrote:Today has been a big day! I just ordered my first Spyderco knife! So the Delica 4 Black FRN/Black Blade isn't in my pocket (yet), but it will be, every day. Also, I'm making my first post on this forum. Just watched a video bio of Mr. Glesser on another forum & it gave me a great appreciation for the family, their company & their fantastic products. I'm glad I saw it so this new guy got an important history lesson!

Thanks for all the great info I've gotten from lurking before joining. You all helped me choose my first, in what I know will be a series of, Spyderco products!
Welcome to the forums!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

An air at the office today, then swapped to super blue stretch for the evening.
HinFL

Post by HinFL »

Thank you for the kind welcomes. It's good to be posting vice lurking. Judging by you folks' signatures, I've got a lot of catching up to do! I think I'll fit in, though, as my first Spyderco (Delica 4) hasn't arrived yet & I'm already looking for others...
Holland

Post by Holland »

You found a good place to hangout if you want encouragement to buy more knives :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Technically, I don't try to fit the Hossom in my pocket, that could get real messy ;) . The other two are regulars though...

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Holland

Post by Holland »

Chaparral 2
-Spencer

Rotation:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Tuff
KW Para 2
Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Manix2 Dusk blue LTW PE
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
HinFL

Post by HinFL »

timlara wrote:Image
Please pardon the new guy's ignorance, but what is this fine-looking handle material? And what Spyderco models is it available on? Thanks in advance for more of my education.
timlara

Post by timlara »

HinFL wrote:Please pardon the new guy's ignorance, but what is this fine-looking handle material? And what Spyderco models is it available on? Thanks in advance for more of my education.
Welcome HinFL!

That particular picture is dark green G-10 on the latest Paramilitary 2 exclusive run from KnifeWorks. That knife and the 2013 Forum Native 5 are the only two recent models to be released in that color I think, but all the green knife fans out there will correct me if I'm wrong! :D

There's also a Dragonfly in foliage green G-10 (also very nice), but it is a different shade than this PM2.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=428
HinFL

Post by HinFL »

My compliments, timlara, & thanks for the clarification. Could you describe the texture & composition of G-10? I obviously would benefit from a trip to a nice knife shop; the curses of living in a small town...
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Blue Tenacious today.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

HinFL wrote:My compliments, timlara, & thanks for the clarification. Could you describe the texture & composition of G-10? I obviously would benefit from a trip to a nice knife shop; the curses of living in a small town...
Hi, HinFl. Welcome to the forums. I'll try to answer since timlara isn't around at the moment. My nearest good Spyderco store is 50 miles away, so I know what you're up against. G-10 is one of the two most common Spyderco handle materials, the other being FRN. There are several other popular ones, such as carbon fiber, glass fiber, etc. Here's the description from the Edge-U-Cation section of the spyderco.com site:

"G-10 An epoxy filled woven glass fiber that is rigid, impervious to temperature changes and chemicals and can be tinted into different colors."

Here's a link to the page, which also discusses the other handle materials. Most of the Spyderco knives with G-10 have a "grippy" texture that helps you hold onto the knife. It felt a little rough to me the first time I tried it, but after a few minutes of handling it, I scarcely noticed the texture.
Interestingly, the nice woven-like surface appearance comes from the fact that a piece of fabric is actually attached to the surface to protect it during production and is peeled off as a last step. So it's sometimes referred to as peel-ply G-10.
Hope this helps :)

Doug
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Doug answered that better than I would have, so I will just add that G-10 indeed feels very grippy, even when wet and is quite solid and substantial in the hand while still being fairly lightweight. It is nice looking as well. The only real downside to it in my opinion is that it can be a little rough on the pants pocket since it is kind of like a very mild sandpaper. So if you're drawing and pocketing your G-10 knife often, expect to shred a little hole in your jeans eventually! But I don't mind...I'm not exactly a sharp dresser anyway and it's sort of a "knife knut" badge of honor. :D
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Techno today. Going to be a Military (haven't decided on which one yet) or a fixed blade the next 2 weeks when I'll be in the mountains :cool: