What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Manix Monday indeed! :)

Resized_20210317_120745.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:28 am
Salt 2 again, seen here on a fragment of an US bomb from the (end of) the second world war.

I am lot on my way in the mountains close to the city of Salzburg (my hometown) - close, but they have still many really remote places where very rarely or even almost never humans set their feet. And there one can stumble over remains of WW2 bombs quite frequently, many a lot larger than the one in the pic (I even know two wrecks of US bombers that crashed in WW2 in the mountains around).
One buddy of mine who also likes to explore remote areas in our mountains once even found a live/still explosive bomb that had to be defused then.

Some brief history, for those who are interested in such things:

Salzburg is a city in Austria, and Austria was part of the Nazi Third Reich (in fact Austria was the first country occupied by the Nazis - ("occupied" is technically true, but still more than debatable - but it would go too far to discuss this here))
So at the end of WW2 from October 1944 to May 1945 American bomber formations flew overall 15 attacks against the city, but it was not as severe as in some German cities ("just" around 550 casualties overall) - more destruction and deaths could be avoided, since one Austrian colonel (Lepperdinger) surrendered the city to the US troops on May 4th against the will and orders of his (Nazi) superiors. One example when insubordination was a more than good deed imho...

The pilots did not aim to hurt civilians or civilian buildings, their targets were of strategical nature, like the train station and some production facilities. (Sad, but true: Due to the craziness of the Nazis these attacks where really necessary in order to end the war and their evil regime).
The planes had to stay pretty high though, like 7000 to 8000 meters (23000 to 26000 feet) due to the still existing air defense which made proper aiming difficult considering the equipment back then, there were malfunctions and sometimes they had to unload bombs on their way back in remote areas in order to keep the planes light enough.

Long story short ;): This is why there are still not too few remains of WW2 bombs in the mountains around my hometown.

Thanks for this post. It reminds me of a story my Mom told me of being a child in Germany during the war. She saw what might have been some the same bombers attack what I believe was Ulm.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

in keeping with the color theme of burnt orange & green ( both of which I like) of my forum friends above

now that we're in to the proper warm-to-hot months here in SE VA, the mosquitoes are quite noticeable, even during just a short time outside to water the pepper plants.
thank goodness for repellent

u.w.
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Manix Monday
vivi

Post by vivi »

u.w. wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:15 am
in keeping with the color theme of burnt orange & green ( both of which I like) of my forum friends above

now that we're in to the proper warm-to-hot months here in SE VA, the mosquitoes are quite noticeable, even during just a short time outside to water the pepper plants.
thank goodness for repellent

u.w.
That sure is a nice lookin Millie :)

My carry just changed:

M Sea

Post by M Sea »

F49E73D5-498F-412F-8F2C-4F709D5B119B.jpeg
PStone

Post by PStone »

M4 Monday :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Looks like a Micarta/M4/Manix would end this thread for the day! (and also be a pretty darn sweet knife)

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:48 am
Looks like a Micarta/M4/Manix would end this thread for the day! (and also be a pretty darn sweet knife)
They're alright

:D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahaha...BOOM! No more posts allowed in this thread until tomorrow! :p

-Rick
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

5DB38254-46EB-4C7C-870A-D0DEDCD5D193.jpeg
Standard operating procedure for work.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Delica K390

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Edit

Just realized my comment may not be permitted on the forum so... yeah sorry
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Spent the afternoon on the Missouri River, threw in the Para 3 LW in SPY27 to see how it would do. Not that I had any doubts, just seemed as good a choice as any in my collection for dunking in the river for a couple hours.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JMM

Post by JMM »

Back Lock Manix & Wharnie Salt . . .

:)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

This one arrived today.

Like many, I was greatly interested in this model since seeing that photo of the prototype. I remained interested even after the mixed reviews after it was finally released.

Having gotten it in hand for the first time, I really like it. I also can understand some of the criticism about the clip and the opening hole access. I find neither to be a major problem, but I can understand why folks have been complaining about it.

It's a beautiful piece and one that I look forward to carrying and using.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:28 am
Salt 2 again, seen here on a fragment of an US bomb from the (end of) the second world war.

I am lot on my way in the mountains close to the city of Salzburg (my hometown) - close, but they have still many really remote places where very rarely or even almost never humans set their feet. And there one can stumble over remains of WW2 bombs quite frequently, many a lot larger than the one in the pic (I even know two wrecks of US bombers that crashed in WW2 in the mountains around).
One buddy of mine who also likes to explore remote areas in our mountains once even found a live/still explosive bomb that had to be defused then.

Some brief history, for those who are interested in such things:

Salzburg is a city in Austria, and Austria was part of the Nazi Third Reich (in fact Austria was the first country occupied by the Nazis - ("occupied" is technically true, but still more than debatable - but it would go too far to discuss this here))
So at the end of WW2 from October 1944 to May 1945 American bomber formations flew overall 15 attacks against the city, but it was not as severe as in some German cities ("just" around 550 casualties overall) - more destruction and deaths could be avoided, since one Austrian colonel (Lepperdinger) surrendered the city to the US troops on May 4th against the will and orders of his (Nazi) superiors. One example when insubordination was a more than good deed imho...

The pilots did not aim to hurt civilians or civilian buildings, their targets were of strategical nature, like the train station and some production facilities. (Sad, but true: Due to the craziness of the Nazis these attacks where really necessary in order to end the war and their evil regime).
The planes had to stay pretty high though, like 7000 to 8000 meters (23000 to 26000 feet) due to the still existing air defense which made proper aiming difficult considering the equipment back then, there were malfunctions and sometimes they had to unload bombs on their way back in remote areas in order to keep the planes light enough.

Long story short ;): This is why there are still not too few remains of WW2 bombs in the mountains around my hometown.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/6Qxc57vN/20210606-152519.jpg[/img
That is fascinating! WWII history has always captivated me. Thank you for sharing this!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"