What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:59 pm
PStone wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:39 pm
PPT. Plenty of snow and ice in Illinois still :spyder:

The PPT is such a cool model! Really heavy for it´s delica-ish cutting edge, so not something I´d actually carry a lot, but an amazing design. Like the wharnie-looking blade that still has belly and the handle design must give the hand a lot of clearance when cutting on a board for a folder...
The weight to size ratio is what made me pass when I handled the original run in a store, but man, the ergonomics on that model are superb. All the Perrin knives I've tried melt into my grip.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:
PStone wrote:

The PPT is such a cool model! Really heavy for it´s delica-ish cutting edge, so not something I´d actually carry a lot, but an amazing design. Like the wharnie-looking blade that still has belly and the handle design must give the hand a lot of clearance when cutting on a board for a folder...
The weight to size ratio is what made me pass when I handled the original run in a store, but man, the ergonomics on that model are superb. All the Perrin knives I've tried melt into my grip.

I totally believe that (unfortunately there aren´t any stores where I live where I could handle Spydercos, let alone such a rare model)!

Wonder how much lighter it could be made, since it has a frame lock there are certainly limits to that. But the CF version shaves like 0.4 oz/ 11 gram already, I guess an FRN version and drilling out the liner and frame lock bar could get reasonably light, let´s say in the 100g / 3.5 area... won´t ever happen, I know.. :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MFlovejp wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Cool knife, cool Frisbee! :)
I don´t do real disc golf, but I figure a very long term member here might perhaps comment on your pic... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Dragonfl.... FRN Chaparral. Fits in this pair of jeans 5th pocket so I went with it. On site tomorrow so I’ll be back to a DF2.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:20 pm
MFlovejp wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Cool knife, cool Frisbee! :)
I don´t do real disc golf, but I figure a very long term member here might perhaps comment on your pic... :rolleyes:
Surprised you haven't tried it. There's a company in Germany I've talked with, Crosslap. Tested a few discs of theirs. They also make courses over there.

https://youtu.be/fnCXTlc22d0

@MFlovejp I never tried the MD series, but the PD and DD were staples in my bag years ago.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

D56AD706-EFE9-42AB-BF11-F2808DB669C1.jpeg
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

@vivi It's my favorite "one disc" on tighter courses. Drives surprisingly far and I like how it responds to my forehand.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
vivi

Post by vivi »

MFlovejp wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:01 pm
@vivi It's my favorite "one disc" on tighter courses. Drives surprisingly far and I like how it responds to my forehand.
I've got a mid with similar numbers I use the same way (MVP Reactor). Love it for forehand approach and short teeshots.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:56 pm
vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
PStone wrote:

I totally believe that (unfortunately there aren´t any stores where I live where I could handle Spydercos, let alone such a rare model)!

Wonder how much lighter it could be made, since it has a frame lock there are certainly limits to that. But the CF version shaves like 0.4 oz/ 11 gram already, I guess an FRN version and drilling out the liner and frame lock bar could get reasonably light, let´s say in the 100g / 3.5 area... won´t ever happen, I know.. :o
The weight is part of what I like. And the sculpted cf plus the way it fits my hand. It’s definitely in my top 5 favorite Spydercos. In use it actually reminds me a lot of the Native5. Makes me want to check out a Battlestation too. I know it’s a different designer, but similar specs and a backlock.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

PStone wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:56 pm
vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

The weight is part of what I like. And the sculpted cf plus the way it fits my hand. It’s definitely in my top 5 favorite Spydercos. In use it actually reminds me a lot of the Native5. Makes me want to check out a Battlestation too. I know it’s a different designer, but similar specs and a backlock.
The PPT is my top Spyderco! Love everything about it. Also, I like the Battlestation but when compared to the PPT, they are two very different knives. Not to dissuade you from trying the Battlestation though, its a really cool model but quite different from the PPT in my opinion.

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm
MFlovejp wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:01 pm
I've got a mid with similar numbers I use the same way (MVP Reactor). Love it for forehand approach and short teeshots.
I should have posted this back when I played the course in November but didn't because I didn't have my Roadie on me for the picture... Played a course at an old mining ghost town in Colorado. Image

It was at this moment that I realized I forgot to pick up the Roadie when I took a picture of it earlier in the course. Fortunately, the course is private and by appointment only and one of the groups behind me had picked it up, so I was able to recover it relatively easily.
-Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Fluted CF Native 5. Still think it's the nicest knife Spyderco makes.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Man I haven’t played disc golf in a while! I only had a driver and putter, and last time I used them stashed them in the crate in the bag of my truck. Then the bottle of Stabil leaked on them and dissolved/warped them to the point of uselessness. :(
PStone

Post by PStone »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:08 pm

The PPT is my top Spyderco! Love everything about it. Also, I like the Battlestation but when compared to the PPT, they are two very different knives. Not to dissuade you from trying the Battlestation though, its a really cool model but quite different from the PPT in my opinion.
No worries! Ive dissuaded myself for a couple years with the Battlestation. I found one in stock at Knifeworks for a good price last night, so I went ahead and ordered it.
PStone

Post by PStone »

PPT
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20210108_103300.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Shaman
Shaman