What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Jazz »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:27 am

I love this model. I've added two more SE to my collection this summer. Might start seeing one of them rotated in soon :)

Different colors, coated? :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Had the Ouroboros for this weekends backpacking trip!

-Nick :bug-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 am

Wow great photo Mushroom! Save that one for the calendar!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

a7fmtCsh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:00 am
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 pm
The Ouroboros! Got it in yesterday and brought it to work today! Taking a break from the Wharncliffe Dragonfly for a little, was using it as a primary blade at work early this week and ended up with a decent little blister on my index finger.

Have a feeling I'm going to like this one a lot. Having this gets me even more excited for the Parata! :spyder:
Sweet piece! I always did think that was a cool design, enjoy it :cool:
Thanks, Jon! I’ve been loving it so far. And I agree, it’s an awesome design. I’m really impressed at how much belly is tucked away into the handle. It fits great in pocket and ergonomics really lock it into your hand. I’m glad I got one!
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 am

https://i.imgur.com/pCmTT6K.jpg

Wow great photo Mushroom! Save that one for the calendar!
Thanks, Connor! :D
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Endura 4 in HAP 40 again... took a quick little hike at lunchtime up a quite minor mountain. But from up there you have a good view on the city of Salzburg.

In the middle of the yellow "circle" is what ALL American and other tourists come to see here: Fortress and old town of Salzburg, where Mozart was born and lived when he was young... ;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

ferider

Post by ferider »

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

The Drunken carries deceivingly well IWB in shorts...and why it gets so much time on my waistband.

-Turbo
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:38 am
Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:27 am
I don't.....
Vivi, we had that very disussion (including pics) before, and I still almost can´t believe that you really do find the Enduras handle that unergonomic (don´t get me wrong, of course I BELIEVE what you´re saying... ;) ).

Tried to once more replicate the issues you are describing, even tried to act as if my hands were bigger (than the L /XL / skinny fingers, they really are), pressed my finger deliberately on the "points" between the finger placements... in all honesty, I just can´t make the Endura handle feel uncomfortable or unergonomic for me. As a matter of fact, I find it to be different to the Stretch 1 handle, but in no way worse, on some days even better. Both are clearly my most liked handle designs...

Generally I have to say, that I seldom put my thumb on the ramp, only when I grip the Endura very far back on the handle (which I rarely do).
I like the ramp / opening hole though, cause the "hump" it creates gives the blade more surface sideways, and that is were I most times put my thumb, like in pic 1:

I totally like that the first finger placement is that large, that alone gives me three good grip options:

1.) Choked up on the Ricasso with the index finger (probably my most used grip, totally safe and almost as comfortable as with a dedicated choil)), then the middle and ring finger are resting in the first finger placement. Very comfortable! (See pic 2 and pic 3)
(EDIT: Imgur deleted a pic for whatever reason, so I had to redo it with my Endela which is in my pocket right now
EDIT 2: Pic shows up again..????)

2.) Index finger and middle finger in the first finger placement, as far forward as possible: Then they both fit in there, and the blade is tilted a bit more upwards: Great for tasks like whittling for example (see pic 4 and pic 5) (I did put my thumb on the ramp just for demonstration, most times I´d put it sideways on the blade)

3.) Index finger and middle finger in the first finger placement, but shifted back a bit: Then the middle finger more or less is resting on the point between the finger placements, but that is in no way uncomfortable for me, and the blade is tilted downwards a bit more: Great for cutting on a surface for example...

(no pics)

The fourth (pic 6) grip is with only the index finger in the first finger placement, so the handle is held very far back. You are right, that can be unstable and unbalanced, but when putting the thumb on the ramp it´s a good grip for doing lighter duty cutting on a board (not so much for very precise or hard tasks)

So concluding for all who might read this (and the following is true almost always anyway ;) ): Form your own opinion: If you like the Endura design generally, be sure to give it a try... if you have rather "my hands" you probably will like it, if they are like Vivis, probably not... :D
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

PStone

Post by PStone »

Para3 Maxamet from the run last year
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:04 am
Nice! Another you don't see very often. Forgot all about this one.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Alright Cruwear...time to see what you're all about!

Resized_20190716_121156.jpeg

-Rick
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:22 am
Vivi, we had that very disussion (including pics) before, and I still almost can´t believe that you really do find the Enduras handle that unergonomic (don´t get me wrong, of course I BELIEVE what you´re saying... ;) ).
I'm right there with Vivi. Sadly, the Endura was just not comfortable in my hand. Which was sad because I was looking forward to using the Cutlery Shoppe HAP40 exclusive. That said, the Police 4 LW should address my need for a long and comfortable Seki back lock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:22 am
I'm right there with Vivi. Sadly, the Endura was just not comfortable in my hand. Which was sad because I was looking forward to using the Cutlery Shoppe HAP40 exclusive. That said, the Police 4 LW should address my need for a long and comfortable Seki back lock.
I know, several people are there with Vivi.

This really is quite a mystery for me. Needless to say that of course I more than 100 % trust Vivi, you and others in that the Endura does not feel good or even "wrong" in your hands, but I just cannot see why, how or replicate this for myself...
I find at least three perfect grip options on the handle plus one still ok-ish. More than on most other folders.

The "points" between the finger placements don't bother me, even if I place a finger right on such a point and grip the handle firm..

Honestly, if I hadn't have learned about your issues I would have maybe recommended the Endura handle as a universal, suits almost everyone handle (and would have been wrong obviously). Especially the wide first finger placement is great imho. Weird, cause that's exactly what others see almost as a flaw...

And I may say: While I am really not very experienced when it comes to steels, sharpening or a huge variety of folders, the one thing I think I know what I am talking about is really using folders, also over prolonged periods of time and in various tasks And I have had enough I can compare the Endura too.... and for me it HAS just one of the best handles ever.

The more I am confused when other at least as experienced knife users feel exactly the opposite... :confused:

Howsoever: I just want to repeat: People who never had an Endura, give it a try and find out for yourself! ;) There is s chance you feel like me and discover a great knife.
Or you find out it's not for you.