What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:16 pm
prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:13 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:32 pm
You know, I haven't used my Moras in ages, been using different Spyderco and ESEE fixed blades lately. After having fun messing around with Opinels lately I decided to touch up my carbon Mora 511 and throw it in my pack for my next hike. I've always enjoyed them but the sheaths make me want to carry something else. Spoiled by the Spyderco G clip. I'm going to order some kydex and a G-clip and come up with something fancier. I have a couple 511's so it'll be nice having a real sheath to use.
I had a 511 just for a short period of time, slightly prefer the companion for the longer blade ( 4.1 vs 3.6 on the 511) and the for me even more comfortable grip.

And for a fixed it still has really thin stock (2.5 mm),that makes it a great blade for actual CUTTING, but can take some batoning and the like too, no problem.
I guess that´s the same with the even thinner (2.0 mm) Mora 511?

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

That looks nice, might try one next time I order some knives.

I've beaten the **** out of Moras to see what they could stand up to. Batoned tons of wood with no issues, though the thin blades don't have good wedging action. Chopping with it lashed to a pole, no problem. Even batoned one through an old stop sign I found in a junk yard, no edge damage. Pried them to failure too. I had one take a little more than a 90 degree bend before the handle exploded.

I got away from Scandis because I only like them for wood carving, prefer FFG for everything else. But man, they sure do excel at that one task due to the thin edge angles the grind allows.
:unicorn
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Winter-running with the Pac Salt... knife for wet conditions, even if the "wet" is frozen... ;)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20191114_092140.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anycal

Post by anycal »

These scales are a trip. Depending on the type of light, sun, shade, color of the background, etc., they take on a different color. The texturing probably helps in diffracting the light. I have seen them look shades of beige, gray, and the advertised ranger green.

Anyways, stoked to have this steel on a PM2. It has been used a bit. Only touched up on the ultra-fine stone so far.

Last edited by anycal on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

-Turbo
sok

Post by sok »

anycal wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:47 pm
These scales are a trip. Depending on the type of light, sun, shade, color of the background, etc., they take on a different color. The texturing probably helps in diffracting the light. I have seen them look shades of beige, gray, and the advertised ranger green.

Anyways, stocked to have this steel on a PM2. It has been used a bit. Only touched up on the ultra-fine stone so far.

That pic makes me nervous.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Crow2012

Post by Crow2012 »

22258.jpeg
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 am
Winter-running with the Pac Salt... knife for wet conditions, even if the "wet" is frozen... ;)

Is that where you live?? What a cool house! I remember seeing homes and buildings in that style in Switzerland, but I've never seen them in U.S.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

He lives in Austria. Yes when I lived in Switzerland there were many Tyrolean style buildings although we just called them chalets :D

Vail, CO is modeled the same way and only about 90 minutes away from Spyderco ;)
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:02 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 am
Is that where you live?? What a cool house! I remember seeing homes and buildings in that style in Switzerland, but I've never seen them in U.S.
It is not the house I personally live in. I would absolutely want to, concerning the "cozy home living ambience", but not the maintenance going on with such an old house (several hundred years old) - or any house... (don´t get me wrong, I like doing work with my hands, but I just prefer to spend my free time (off work) out in the mountains, and not doing stuff on a house constantly... ;) )

It´s just one of the typical old farm houses I pass by at first when going on a shorter mountain trail run.

I personally like to see how it looks like where other forum members live or what they do, so I sometimes "make the background larger and the knife smaller" in my pics... ;)

Can remember for example a pic of your Shaman in some garden (?) with an old shed in the background. I liked that a lot!

And yes, farmhouses in Austria, southern Germany and many parts of Switzerland look a lot the same.

When have you been to Switzerland?
And since you have already been there, why didn´t you cross the border to visit beautiful Austria too??!! :mad: ... :p ;)
(AND: We have even better knife-laws here than in Switzerland. As far as I know, in both countries you can carry any folder you like, except in Switzerland automatics can´t have a blade longer than 5 cm, in Austria there is no limit even for autos...;) )
bbturbodad wrote: He lives in Austria. Yes when I lived in Switzerland there were many Tyrolean style buildings although we just called them chalets :D

Vail, CO is modeled the same way and only about 90 minutes away from Spyderco ;)
When did you live in Switzerland?

And: I am sure Vail is nice (and I would love to go there for backcountry / powder skiing), but I doubt that their houses are several hundred years old... ;)
anycal

Post by anycal »

sok wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:52 pm
That pic makes me nervous.
A well balanced knife... pun intended ... or double entendre ;)
Peter
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chap FRN for trailrunning... such an amazing knife to throw it unclipped in a zippered pocket and forget it is there... while in hand it feels "heavy " / solid in a good way and really like a full grown knife (remember, same edgelength as a Native 5, while much slimmer and shorter in pocket)

Really the only SMALL (!) folder I like totally 100% ... :)

vivi

Post by vivi »

This Spartan is a pretty cool knife for $15. Might replace my Micra.
:unicorn