What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Actually yesterday. Today is the good ole St Nick's Manix!

Resized_20200927_142155.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

66AF4241-7E74-4F00-AB1D-3F4999008DDB.jpeg
PStone

Post by PStone »

This week’s carry before Rex-tober starts:
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Mili-dura Monday

M Sea

Post by M Sea »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:28 am
Mili-dura Monday

That is so cool.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Clipless chaparral
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Didn't take you as a Chaparral owner. Usually have something that hits a little harder!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:25 am
Didn't take you as a Chaparral owner. Usually have something that hits a little harder!
It never got it’s fair shakedown. I bought it used and never really carried it. Well, I don’t pass judgment on a knife without carrying it and using it so therefore I will do just that. Man this blade is thin! Pretty sure the whole knife is thinner than some blades on other knives :D

As a lover of the dragonfly I can tell you this knife punches way above its weight class. It definitely hits hard. To bad it’s not serrated :eek: :spyder:

Edit* while I love my bigger blades, I’ve sort of come back around to you know... actual pocket knives... not swords :D
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:29 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
It never got it’s fair shakedown. I bought it used and never really carried it. Well, I don’t pass judgment on a knife without carrying it and using it so therefore I will do just that. Man this blade is thin! Pretty sure the whole knife is thinner than some blades on other knives :D

As a lover of the dragonfly I can tell you this knife punches way above its weight class. It definitely hits hard. To bad it’s not serrated :eek: :spyder:

Edit* while I love my bigger blades, I’ve sort of come back around to you know... actual pocket knives... not swords :D
Glad you give the Chap a fair try! Imho it is constantly underestimated by many who never actually really used it hard and pushed it to the limits, since it is (falsly) considered to be only a gents knife. It is amazingly tough though (and actually overall built like a tank with all that steel in the handle)

You are totally right that it "punches way above its weight class" indeed. In a way perhaps it "hits harder" than most bigger, but thicker bladed knives: Just because it cuts better while still holding up perfectly well.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:59 am
prndltech wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Glad you give the Chap a fair try! Imho it is constantly underestimated by many who never actually really used it hard and pushed it to the limits, since it is (falsly) considered to be only a gents knife. It is amazingly though (and actually overall built like a tank with all that steel in the handle)

You are totally right that it "punches way above its weight class" indeed. In a way perhaps it "hits harder" than most bigger, but thicker bladed knives: Just because it cuts better while still holding up perfectly well.
So far, I would have to agree with what you said, but it’s still new to me. Only time will tell!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:55 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 am
I could start a knife-pic-series with all the location of "Sound of music" in the background... would actually be pretty easy to do, most are in or very close the city of Salzburg, where I live. ;)
I would love to see that thread - that movie was a favorite of mine as a kid.

Fun story: Like 6 or 7 years ago on some mountain hut I got to meet two American girls who were travelling Europe. Showed them a shortcut down to the valley floor and gave them a ride back to their hostel in the town of Salzburg.
When we drove through the inner town, suddenly they began to scream and really freaked out. When I asked what was going on they told me we had just passed the Mozart Steg (= Mozart footbridge) and that this would be a famous location in the film Sound of Music (see here https://onfootguides.com/salzburg-locat ... ozartsteg/). I totally did not know that... :)

Now I actually cross this footbridge like one time a week and did so again today with my bike. And suddenly I remembered the episode I described above and my "Sound of music knife pic series" and here you go ;)
One time focus on the knife, one time on the bridge:

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:59 am
prndltech wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Glad you give the Chap a fair try! Imho it is constantly underestimated by many who never actually really used it hard and pushed it to the limits, since it is (falsly) considered to be only a gents knife. It is amazingly though (and actually overall built like a tank with all that steel in the handle)

So far, I would have to agree with what you said, but it’s still new to me. Only time will tell!
Give it a try and keep us posted! I bet you will be surprised what that little guy can take while also being just a better cutting tool than many thicker bladed knives.

In a way for me the Chap is somehow a bit "the essence of Spyderco": When you look at Spyderco as a brand, some (non Spyderco-) people consider their designs as being too thin bladed, not tough enough, not super tactical... while people who really use knives appreciate that Spyderco just makes strong cutting tools.
INSIDE the Spyderco line perhaps the same happens to the Chap: Just a perfect, well balanced cutting tool, but seen by some just as a rather flimsy gents knife.

Can´t wait for your 2c on this! :)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Had the Straight Spine Stretch with me for a motorcycle camping trip through the downeast Maine area this weekend. The fall foliage was near its peak and the colors were incredible!

-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am
Had the Straight Spine Stretch with me for a motorcycle camping trip through the downeast Maine area this weekend. The fall foliage was near its peak and the colors were incredible!

Very nice!! :)

But your Stretch blade almost looks like if it had a Patina... on VG10?!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Now it's feeling like fall!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:31 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am
I could start a knife-pic-series with all the location of "Sound of music" in the background... would actually be pretty easy to do, most are in or very close the city of Salzburg, where I live. ;)
I would love to see that thread - that movie was a favorite of mine as a kid.

Fun story: Like 6 or 7 years ago on some mountain hut I got to meet two American girls who were travelling Europe. Showed them a shortcut down to the valley floor and gave them a ride back to their hostel in the town of Salzburg.
When we drove through the inner town, suddenly they began to scream and really freaked out. When I asked what was going on they told me we had just passed the Mozart Steg (= Mozart footbridge) and that this would be a famous location in the film Sound of Music (see here https://onfootguides.com/salzburg-locat ... ozartsteg/). I totally did not know that... :)

Now I actually cross this footbridge like one time a week and did so again today with my bike. And suddenly I remembered the episode I described above and my "Sound of music knife pic series" and here you go ;)
One time focus on the knife, one time on the bridge:

I love these! Thanks, W!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:31 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
I love these! Thanks, W!
You´re very welcome! More to come... (I am actually surrounded by "Sound of Music" without realizing it most of the times... ;) )
orangejuice

Post by orangejuice »

I put some new Micarta scales from Sharp Dressed Knives on my old and trusted Gayle Bradley 2 and think it is almost perfect. Perfect would be a custom from Mr. Bradley himself if I could figure out how.
IMG_2670.jpeg
Drink juice
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

orangejuice wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:05 pm
I put some new Micarta scales from Sharp Dressed Knives on my old and trusted Gayle Bradley 2 and think it is almost perfect. Perfect would be a custom from Mr. Bradley himself if I could figure out how.

It is perfect (for my preferences). Congrats! :)

The Bradley 2 is a knife I really want to try eventually. So much to like here. And I love Micarta.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m relaxing at home today, but I went out on my daily walk earlier. And about a quarter way into my walk, I realized I forgot to carry my knife!

😯

I didn’t come back for it, though.

JIM