What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by SG89 »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:40 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:20 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:15 pm
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ILhPPga.jpg[/img
Is that Mi Cocina?
What up my Texas people. There’s a mi cocina in Austin, no idea if it’s the same as what you’re referring to, I’ve never been there. But man a margarita sure does sound good right now.

I’m still carrying the serrated endela. I love this knife.
It's the same- it's a chain restaurant. **** good for a chain. The margaritas there are legit
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:47 pm
prndltech wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:40 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:20 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:15 pm
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ILhPPga.jpg[/img
Is that Mi Cocina?
What up my Texas people. There’s a mi cocina in Austin, no idea if it’s the same as what you’re referring to, I’ve never been there. But man a margarita sure does sound good right now.

I’m still carrying the serrated endela. I love this knife.
It's the same- it's a chain restaurant. **** good for a chain. The margaritas there are legit
Yes there's a Mi Cocina in our town. It's good but we don't go there very often. Too many other great choices. Mi Dia is another really good place that doesn't get enough attention from us. The Margaritas we had today didn't look like much but they sure packed a punch :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

attila

Post by attila »

C6A1DF1F-E252-48E1-BB3C-426A97B24714.jpeg
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:22 am

Another one of your beautifull Kapara pics... :)

Since you obviously really love that knife: How is your opinion on an additional, more "outdoorsy" version with a grippier handle and perhaps a linerlock - or at least a better usable/accessible comp. lock when wearing gloves or with cold, wet fingers? (Plus just for me a non deep carry clip, regular spoon clip would be totally fine)

To be clear: The current Kapara is a great design and knife, but in my use it had its limits as said in "harsher" conditions
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Old pic, but this great knife is in my pocket right now as I am headed for a nice mountain hike and certainly having lunch in the sun up there somewhere... :)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Red

Post by Red »

Going out lobster diving and then doing some grouper/snapper fishing in the bay afterwards so bringing along two of my favorites.
8726DC1D-4F21-4A5A-9D09-1407A451C6D0.jpeg
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
benben

Post by benben »

D2B60934-D60D-4FED-9DBA-02F208AF0C07.jpeg
Church selection today!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:35 am
GiftedMisfit wrote:

Another one of your beautifull Kapara pics... :)

Since you obviously really love that knife: How is your opinion on an additional, more "outdoorsy" version with a grippier handle and perhaps a linerlock - or at least a better usable/accessible comp. lock when wearing gloves or with cold, wet fingers? (Plus just for me a non deep carry clip, regular spoon clip would be totally fine)

To be clear: The current Kapara is a great design and knife, but in my use it had its limits as said in "harsher" conditions

Thanks for the compliment Wartstein.

The Kapara is definitely my favorite Spyderco to date. The luxurious, yet functional nature of this piece is a joy to own and use. It came 15dps from the factory (nice job) and was ready to use. I would personally love another 'variation' of the kapara, maybe some micarta handles. Make that red backspacer pop a bit more. S30V is more than enough for me and my uses, but eh.. lc200n? Regular spoon clip for me as well. Since I'm a lefty, either a left handed version (unlikely) or a backlock would be nice. I can manipulate any lock with my left but, back locks are awesome

ETA - I carry this knife everyday. I love it.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Yesterday it was a Delica and Ladybug in K390. Today, it's a LH PM2 and the K390 Delica.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

This one was in my pocket earlier along with 9 other knives as I tried to get a decent shot for the calendar contest

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Beach Cricket

Post by Beach Cricket »

Today, Delica SpyderEdge. :spyder:
-Cricket
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:35 am
GiftedMisfit wrote:
Thanks for the compliment Wartstein.

The Kapara is definitely my favorite Spyderco to date. The luxurious, yet functional nature of this piece is a joy to own and use. It came 15dps from the factory (nice job) and was ready to use. I would personally love another 'variation' of the kapara, maybe some micarta handles. Make that red backspacer pop a bit more. S30V is more than enough for me and my uses, but eh.. lc200n? Regular spoon clip for me as well. Since I'm a lefty, either a left handed version (unlikely) or a backlock would be nice. I can manipulate any lock with my left but, back locks are awesome

ETA - I carry this knife everyday. I love it.
I mean it, your Kapara pics are really of outstanding quality.

/ Yes, it certainly is (resp. was, in my case) just a "joy to own and use", such a beautiful and clever design (I like especially the choil that takes away almost no cutting edge).

A Micarta Kapara (rough, grippy Micarta) would be great! And it is no secret that I too think that backlocks are awesome, but I could imagine that perhaps the Kapara blade and a backlock would not fit in that very "low" (as in "not tall", don´t know the correct English term) handle - that´s why I thought of a linerlock as an alternative to the comp. lock.

If I see things from a practical point of view, my Enduras fill that particular niche better than the Kapara for me - but a more "outdoorsy", grippier Kapara with a better usable lock in harsher conditions could absolutely compete with the Endura...
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I own several Endura's as well as a Kapara. I wouldn't even put them in the same ballpark, on any level. The Kapara is vastly superior. At least in my ballywick.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:52 pm
This one was in my pocket earlier along with 9 other knives as I tried to get a decent shot for the calendar contest

CruCarta! Don't see much of those floating around the secondary market these days...

On topic, Manix 2 OG for today's carry.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PineyBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:40 pm
I own several Endura's as well as a Kapara. I wouldn't even put them in the same ballpark, on any level. The Kapara is vastly superior. At least in my ballywick.

Well, your opinion, and I respect it of course.

Though to say that the Kapara is "vastly superior" "on any level" is honestly and with no offense meant hard to comprehend for me, unless one is more the office type of guy resp. uses their knives mainly in such enviroments.
The Kapara is certainly made out of more expensive (but not necessarely objectively "better") materials than the base model Endura. The Kapara most likely also is of even better built quality when it comes to tolerances and so on.

But on the "real use level" in harsher conditions imho the Kapara in its current form just can´t compete with an Endura:
- The Endura is much more secure in hand, in wet, cold, muddy conditions. Taller, and by that more handfilling handle, a lot grippier (bidirectional textured FRN vs smooth CF) and has a better guard.
- The backlock imho is better usable and safer than a comp. lock generally in the above described conditions or when wearing gloves. This is especially true when it comes to Endura vs Kapara: The narrow and smooth Kapara handle combined with the not too easy accesible comp. lock tab makes the usual comp. lock closing method (pinch locktab and handle with thumb and index finger and swing the blade to close) rather awkward and enhances the risk of accidently dropping the knife (again, I am talking about in "harsher conditions!).
All other closing methods are safer with a backlock anyway, since there the blade is not "floppy", but can be guided to close more safely.

So, conclusion: Just imho the Kapara in its current form is great for what Alistair designed it for: Food prep and general use in more of a "civil" "office type" context. Not so much for real outdoor use.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

3 weeks in a row of Shaman's. Onto the Crucarta before a Manix run in the weeks to follow.
Resized_20200317_103420.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick