What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Holland »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:55 pm
GiftedMisfit wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:48 pm
this picture makes me want a chaparral more than ever.

What keeps you from getting one? ;)

/ The pic shows one of the nice features of the Chap: Handle (closed length) really not much longer than on the DFly, but the blade is!
Plus one for getting a chaparral!

A lot of people like to compare the chaparral to the dragonfly, but in my opinion, they are too different to compare. They are two of my most carried. I enjoy the chaparral for harder cutting tasks and when I want to carry something that feels higher quality, and the dragonfly is an awesome carry when I don't think I need a knife, but I want to just throw something in the pocket. The various steels adds a lot of fun for the dragonfly as well.

K390 Dragonfly today!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Holland wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:55 pm
GiftedMisfit wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:48 pm
Plus one for getting a chaparral!

A lot of people like to compare the chaparral to the dragonfly, but in my opinion, they are too different to compare. They are two of my most carried. I enjoy the chaparral for harder cutting tasks and when I want to carry something that feels higher quality, and the dragonfly is an awesome carry when I don't think I need a knife, but I want to just throw something in the pocket. The various steels adds a lot of fun for the dragonfly as well.

K390 Dragonfly today!
Yes, both great models, but the Chap still wins for me by a huge margin (but if I was more into small folders I´d certainly own both!!)
What speaks for the DFly is first and foremost the incredible low weight, but this comes for the price that the Chap on the other hand is a stronger, more solidly built folder (in fact one of Spydercos most solid folders imho, in relation to how thin it is - and it has this blade play free, rock solid backlock).
And the Chap really does not carry much larger than the DFly, but has a blade that is just a better performer: Practically a Native cutting edge (and by that a lot longer than the DFlys) plus even thinner stock than the Dfly.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

I am lucky enough to have both a Chap and a Dragonfly. Two of my favorite Spyderco’s for sure!
sandi_sp01

Post by sandi_sp01 »

Para 2 and Manix 2 ..... I loveeeeee Spyderco, awesome knives
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:08 pm
so where'd you get the cf scales?
The CF Ikuchi scales were made by a fellow named Spencer AKA Karbadize on IG.

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

At least until I get into the mill and return it to my buddy. He has some awesome knives (not much of a user, nor very knowledgeable) he got this Tenacious a few weeks back and asked if I could change the clip around so it was tip up in his pocket. The pivot was also loose and the blade was touching the scale, which he didn't even notice haha.

It's got these pretty cool copper scales on it, makes the knife very heavy, but I like the look. First time I've ever held a Tenacious, not a bad knife. Nice blade and obviously very easy to sharpen. Touched it up for him too.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:48 am
At least until I get into the mill and return it to my buddy. He has some awesome knives (not much of a user, nor very knowledgeable) he got this Tenacious a few weeks back and asked if I could change the clip around so it was tip up in his pocket. The pivot was also loose and the blade was touching the scale, which he didn't even notice haha.

It's got these pretty cool copper scales on it, makes the knife very heavy, but I like the look. First time I've ever held a Tenacious, not a bad knife. Nice blade and obviously very easy to sharpen. Touched it up for him too.

Those scales look amazing! Design-wise there’s a lot to like about this value line of Spydercos. I just can’t do hecho en china. Would be nice to see those designs repatriated!
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:18 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:48 am

Those scales look amazing! Design-wise there’s a lot to like about this value line of Spydercos. I just can’t do hecho en china. Would be nice to see those designs repatriated!
I'm kinda split on chinese Spydies too. Some designs look great, but I'm not a fan of the steels. Even D2 would be enough to sway me.
I'm not too worried about the quality, what with Sal's motto and all.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I started out with a Raven 2, then switched to my new Salt 2/Wharncliffe for use at work yesterday.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

This guy's been getting a lot of pocket time this week.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Same shtick, different day. Getting real itchy to leave my job and start anew, but it'll have to wait until September.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Imagine you want a Chief in REX 45, but all you can get is a Tenacious... and you´re still happy with it! - Sometimes skitouring is like this too... ;)

Job-related I had to drive to an area like 45 minutes away from the city of Salzburg, where there are no real mountains anymore, but more like larger hills. Still there is some nice shorter skitouring.
In a break between two appointments I wanted to ascend the pyramid-shaped peak in the background of the first pic (it is just 850 meters / 2800 feet of vertical distance to the top) and descent the long, a bit steeper slope/hillside that faces to the right.
But standing on top of that hill and looking down the slope I did not like what I saw: Too dangerous avalanche-wise, especially since I was all alone, no one could have digged me out should an avalanche have buried me.
Two problems (some off-topic-skitouring-tutorial ;) ):
1.) If you look closely, right at the top and facing to the right there is a cornice (kind of "overhangig snow") over the slope I wanted to descent. This means that wind had blown the snow from left to right, and under that cornice will most certainly be packed drift snow, that can form a snow slab (dangerous kind of avalanche) pretty easy
2.) The slope is facing to the south, and it was pretty warm. Looking closely, you can see that some fissures/cracks in the snow have already formed, and inevitably sooner or later the whole snow on the slope will go downhill at once... you don´t want to be in there then... ;)

So: I had to go to a mellow and much more boring neighbour-peak, where I then took the pic.. still, as always I had a great time alone in the mountains and the snow, even if today I "just got the Tenacious and not the REX45 Chief....:) (though actually I had my Pac Salt with me...perhaps better than both the Chief and the Tenacious?!)

And:
View from the "boring peak" in the other direction (pic below)

Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Wow, so I've been carrying it nonstop since I got it. What a surprise, first time trying a dragonfly, and have all sorts of spydies most far exceeding this price point, or what one would call less high end build quality and materials. But it keeps knocking everything else out, it's crazy good.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

dodgie02 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:01 pm

Wow, so I've been carrying it nonstop since I got it. What a surprise, first time trying a dragonfly, and have all sorts of spydies most far exceeding this price point, or what one would call less high end build quality and materials. But it keeps knocking everything else out, it's crazy good.
that is a crazy patina! did you force it, or is it from use?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
z1r

Post by z1r »

Picked up a Lady Bug at the Outlet today, can't imagine it not residing in my 5th pocket, ever. The Ikucki, Smock, and SS Cricket are now on my "want" list now. Got lucky and left with two #28 Mules as well.
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

got it yesterday
Lynch clip and in the pocket today
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

vivi

Post by vivi »

Beautiful day for a trip to the skatepark

:unicorn