What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Postby Wartstein » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:11 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:56 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:58 am
Carried the Waterway, Pancakes so generous gift, on a little hike up a mountain.
I totally love this knife! It did not get much use yet (just some whittling and food prep), since I only have it for not even a whole day now, but as far as I can tell already it is even better than I thought it would be
"A little hike up a mountain." :rolleyes: :p I'm jealous on all fronts...someday I'll own a Waterway and hike in mountains again!

Well, that particular mountain is just around 6200 feet high, and one has to cover just about 4200 feet of vertical distance to get to the top... not exactly Mount Everest.. ;)

But anyway, I totally hope that both your wishes come true!!! :)
The waterway is really a great knife, and mine even got a special "Pancake regrind", so it cuts even better than from the factory!
And I remember you´ve said already: When your boys are older, you might come over here with your family - if so, I I could take you all on some nice hikes :)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

PeaceInOurTime

Postby PeaceInOurTime » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Re-blade-swapped my Enduras, then spent some time at the lake early this morning.

JuPaul

Postby JuPaul » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:11 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:56 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:58 am
Carried the Waterway, Pancakes so generous gift, on a little hike up a mountain.
I totally love this knife! It did not get much use yet (just some whittling and food prep), since I only have it for not even a whole day now, but as far as I can tell already it is even better than I thought it would be
"A little hike up a mountain." :rolleyes: :p I'm jealous on all fronts...someday I'll own a Waterway and hike in mountains again!

Well, that particular mountain is just around 6200 feet high, and one has to cover just about 4200 feet of vertical distance to get to the top... not exactly Mount Everest.. ;)

But anyway, I totally hope that both your wishes come true!!! :)
The waterway is really a great knife, and mine even got a special "Pancake regrind", so it cuts even better than from the factory!
And I remember you´ve said already: When your boys are older, you might come over here with your family - if so, I I could take you all on some nice hikes :)
My fingers are all crossed for that!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

MFlovejp

Postby MFlovejp » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:48 pm

Favorite Spydercos in rotation: Centofante 3, Police 4 LW K390, Pac Salt II H1 SE, Military S110V
Wishlist: Gayle Bradley 2, Cruwear Military
Requests for Spyderco: Caly 3.5 SuperBlue Sprint, Tool Steel Millies, Chaparral XL (For Wartstein and myself)

M Sea

Postby M Sea » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:20 am

7AD69412-D186-4A67-9221-EBBEA1292D38.jpeg

kirilpetkov

Postby kirilpetkov » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:38 am

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:39 am

Another nice weekend-hike with the amazing Waterway
Today I compared the special Pancake(forum brother)-regrind on it to other knives on wood: The regrinded Waterway bites into it far better than any other ffg blade I have and is actually almost on par with my very thin scandi grind Mora Companion!!

Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

aicolainen

Postby aicolainen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:23 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:39 am
Today I compared the special Pancake(forum brother)-regrind on it to other knives on wood: The regrinded Waterway bites into it far better than any other ffg blade I have and is actually almost on par with my very thin scandi grind Mora Companion!!

That’s very interesting, can you explain whats been done to it?

In my experience the factory grind works well for batoning, but leaves something to be desired with regards to whittling and carving. I’m not really impressed by how it’s processing fish either, but that’s probably just a sharpness issue. It wasn’t typical Spyderco sharp out of the box, and I haven’t gotten around to resharpen it yet.
I don’t expect it to shine in every discipline, but a wee bit better for wood would make it a near perfect all rounder for my use.

aicolainen

Postby aicolainen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:28 am

And speaking of the Waterway, that’s what I had in my “pocket” today.

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:39 am

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:23 am
Wartstein wrote:

In my experience the factory grind works well for batoning, but leaves something to be desired with regards to whittling and carving. I’m not really impressed by how it’s processing fish either, but that’s probably just a sharpness issue. It wasn’t typical Spyderco sharp out of the box, and I haven’t gotten around to resharpen it yet.
I don’t expect it to shine in every discipline, but a wee bit better for wood would make it a near perfect all rounder for my use.
I actually asked Pancake what he did exactly, cause I am really impressed with the performance of the regrinded waterway.
So I could just copy and paste what he replied, but if you don´t mind I´d rather pm him first if he´d like to explain his great work himself here, ok?

In a nutshell he thinned out the blade, sligthly convexed the edge an then sharpened it around 17 degrees with a 20 degrees microbevel.
What can be seen immediately: How low the new bevel goes up the blade, so in a way the "opposite" of a scandi, and so the slight convexing and thinness behind the edge are probably the reason for the great whittling (and generally cutting) performance. As said, on wood clearly better than any of my other ffg knives, be it fixed blades or folders.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:44 am

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:28 am

Very nice! :) I really love the scandinavian nature and wildland, as I told you already I visited northern Norway, Sweden and Finland several times when I was younger... :)

aicolainen

Postby aicolainen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:56 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:39 am
aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:23 am
Wartstein wrote:

I actually asked Pancake what he did exactly, cause I am really impressed with the performance of the regrinded waterway.
So I could just copy and paste what he replied, but if you don´t mind I´d rather pm him first if he´d like to explain his great work himself here, ok?

In a nutshell he thinned out the blade, sligthly convexed the edge an then sharpened it around 17 degrees with a 20 degrees microbevel.
What can be seen immediately: How low the new bevel goes up the blade, so in a way the "opposite" of a scandi, and so the slight convexing and thinness behind the edge are probably the reason for the great whittling (and generally cutting) performance. As said, on wood clearly better than any of my other ffg knives, be it fixed blades or folders.
Thanks!

And of course it’s OK that Pancake has a say in this :-)

This regrind sounds like it might be beyond my current sharpening capabilities anyways, but I see so much potential in this knife, so it’s still nice to know where I might be able to take it in the future

aicolainen

Postby aicolainen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:44 am
aicolainen wrote:

Very nice! :) I really love the scandinavian nature and wildland, as I told you already I visited northern Norway, Sweden and Finland several times when I was younger... :)
Thanks!

The feeling is mutual. I love the alps as well. Although I don’t recollect ever visiting the Austrian part, I’ve visited the Swiss and French parts several times.
It is on my bucket list though ;-)

tonijedi

Postby tonijedi » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:13 pm

This was last week, but same applies for today (except for the snow)
Imagefree gif upload

The Meat man

Postby The Meat man » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:42 pm

aicolainen wrote:
That looks like fun. :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

5-by-5

Postby 5-by-5 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:25 pm

Love ethnic series

TkoK83Spy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:45 pm

5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:25 pm
Love ethnic series

No idea what that is, but I like it! Cool design.
21 :spyder:'s in 14 different steels
1- Zero Tolerance 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - Bradford Guardian 3/Wharnie Vanadis 4E
1 - WE Knives Gentry

-Rick

Mushroom

Postby Mushroom » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:36 pm

Thats the Navaja, an Ed Schempp design. It has an interesting ratcheting sound feature when the blade is opened.
- Nick

:spyder:

Holland

Postby Holland » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:38 pm

20210110_143719_copy_3024x1701.jpg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Junction | Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2

VashHash

Postby VashHash » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Kris

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”