What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueblur

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by blueblur »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:12 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 pm
Been giving this one a run lately:
Have you gotten a chance to use that one much? I have a feeling that steel would work well with SE / CE. Bet those serrations get real sharp 👍

I was lucky. Thunderstorm rolled in when I was about three minutes from the truck.

Hey Vivi. :)

I checked my records and I’ve been using this every day at work and home for about five weeks now. Usually I like to use and sharpen a knife for about three months to get to know it.

Yeah, I think these 52100 serrations are the best I’ve tried - for my tastes obviously. Up until now, VG10 had been my favourite SE steel. The two data points in the HRC Database thread for Spyderco’s 52100 both come in at about 63 HRC, so it’s possibly the hardest steel with serrations that they offer.
(Edit: I forgot about ZDP189 SE.)

It really does get extremely sharp with barely any effort. I guess this is what you’d call a ‘sharpener’s knife’. It likes a little bit of honing/touch up sharpening every day to maintain peak sharpness. I tend to do this at least every other day with any steel anyway, so I don’t mind it at all, to have a knife which is such a pleasure to use. I received a Goldenstone a couple of days ago, and using that freehand has really made the serrations buttery smooth in their cutting action through cardboard and plastic and such. The way the SE portion bites into and cuts apart the heavy duty pallet straps that hold together wooden packing crates of weighty steel parts have made it an indispensable work tool.

After using it in the kitchen a bit in the early days, which resulted in a bit of rust around the pivot area and tight serrations, I’ve mainly relegated it for use on dry materials, mostly at work. I tend to use it with gloves on as well, so it hasn’t really developed much of a patina. I pair it with the AEB-L Urban or ZDP189 Dragonfly and use those on wet materials, or tasks like slicing vegetables from the garden for work dinners or lunches.

I also thinned out the PE grind as soon as I got it, as usual, but I think it could stand to go thinner again.

It’s really a superb knife - certainly one of the best folders I’ve used. I’ve really warmed to it. I’ve been meaning to write a review, but have been super busy with work over the whole lockdown period, so those are a few notes so far on using the CE 52100 PM2.

That’s a nice bike rig, too. :cool:

Enactive wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:12 pm
Nice one! :cool: :spyder:
Thanks bro! :)
Nice feedback.

I love my pe 52100 PM2 so much I was debating on getting the ce. I definitely would have bought a full se if it was offered but ended up going with a second pe model.

I wish we would see more steels in se, especially something like 52100.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Higher wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 am
Carrying the Pac Salt today, ...
(Pac Salt iwb of course! ;) )
Cool pictures.
Cool knife.
Cool Wartstein

Thanks, Viacheslav! :)

- Cool knife: Indeed!!!
- Cool pictures: Don´t know, but glad you like ´em!
- Cool Wartstein: Not really, just an average Austrian mountain guy. ;)

/ I know there are great mountains in Russia, but do you have some particularly in the area you live in?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:42 pm

Somehow missed that pic till right now! Very nice and I love the landscape, uninhabitated as it seemingly is!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

both of these.

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Red

Post by Red »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:56 am
both of these.

The Military is no slouch, but that copper Natrix is a looker 👍
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:04 am
anycal wrote:
Somehow missed that pic till right now! Very nice and I love the landscape, uninhabitated as it seemingly is!

Thanks brother. This was a camping/mountain biking trip in local national forest. Go deep enough, and you won't see a person all day.

Peter
Red

Post by Red »

EC002545-D2B6-4BEC-A83C-8251984139A6.jpeg
Red

Post by Red »

Not sure why the pic is upside down, but the little Dragonfly is a weekend warrior!
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Full moon, night sea and my not so focused Salt 2.

Last edited by Featherblade on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:04 am
anycal wrote:

Thanks brother. This was a camping/mountain biking trip in local national forest. Go deep enough, and you won't see a person all day.

Thanks to you for the additional pics! :) Very nice, and the kind of rock reminds me of Yosemite where I was once.

That´s something we do not really have in "crowded" middle Europe: Remote, lonesome forests and rather mellow mountains and hills where one could really be alone.
Here you "have to" go high up into mountain areas in the alps (which I like anyway, don´t get me wrong), often times above tree line, in order to experience wild, untouched nature and to be really on your own.

Luckily there is northern Scandinavia (so the north of Finland, Sweden, Norway) - this is where one can still find real wilderness also in the flatlands, and when I was younger I traveled there quite often (that´s also where I learned most of the (more or less limited...) "bushcraft skills" I have and how to use a knife for that).

Hope you keep posting knife pics like that!! :)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

^^Allied :)
Higher

Post by Higher »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:00 am
Higher wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 am
Carrying the Pac Salt today, ...
(Pac Salt iwb of course! ;) )
Cool pictures.
Cool knife.
Cool Wartstein

Thanks, Viacheslav! :)

- Cool knife: Indeed!!!
- Cool pictures: Don´t know, but glad you like ´em!
- Cool Wartstein: Not really, just an average Austrian mountain guy. ;)

/ I know there are great mountains in Russia, but do you have some particularly in the area you live in?
In fact, the photos are very beautiful. Mountains are one of nature's finest creations. Beautiful knives are one of the best human creations. Both are very beautiful!

Going to the mountains is an event. This is a test. A person is tested in the mountains. We say: "If you want to check a friend (get to know the person better) - take him with you to the mountains"

I live 100 km (60 miles) from the oldest mountains on earth :) If we measure the height of the mountains, you won :)

Since this thread is about a photo, then I will ask:
Wartstein, how did you do the self-timer? You're up a mountain far away from the camera. Do you have a bt button?

=====

I will write this for everyone. Guys, you take very beautiful photos. Very beautiful. They delight the eyes. Continue. Take more photos.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

-Turbo
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ti Scale Rex-45 Para3.
(Pics not from today... but this one :D )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:35 pm

That looks really nice (except the deep carry clip, but that´s totally subjective)! :)
Love the rough texturing of the scales and especially the obviously used, scratched up blade!
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:35 pm

Such beautiful scales... I could smell the coffee bean bags in the port warehouse.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in, that's a really nice pic turbo! I like all the similar, yet different shades of brown and tan.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Have a great Sunday folks!
Cheers!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:41 am
That looks really nice (except the deep carry clip, but that´s totally subjective)! :)
Love the rough texturing of the scales and especially the obviously used, scratched up blade!
The scales are Kevlar with little bits of brass wire so the rough look is exaggerated by way the brass wire reflects light so they're smoother than they look. ...and yes I knew you would like the clip :p
Featherblade wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:32 am
Such beautiful scales... I could smell the coffee bean bags in the port warehouse.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:06 am
Count me in, that's a really nice pic turbo! I like all the similar, yet different shades of brown and tan.
Thanks guys!
-Turbo