What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:38 pm
Can’t get this Crucarta Shaman out of my pocket. :)
Me neither, been carrying mine most days since it landed. It's a masterpiece.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:29 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I have to agree guys! At least a few days a week for me

Resized_20191126_153740.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:54 am
Enactive wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:29 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I have to agree guys! At least a few days a week for me

Resized_20191126_153740.jpeg
Nice pic, looks like one of mine with all the Victaulic couplings.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I’m going with the SuperBlue Stretch today
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

We were out at our cabin in the rainforest for a few days. The Crucarta Shaman has been a steady companion.
solduc_shaman_garberg.jpg
IMG_20191226_130054.jpg
We have the wonderful fortune of having a spot on the River that's just a few miles from some pretty wild coast on the edge of the continent.

Rialto.jpg
Another bonus shot with no knives...
IMG_20191226_160756.jpg
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Holland

Post by Holland »

Filoso- wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:43 am
I’m going with the SuperBlue Stretch today
Very nice!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:51 am
We were out at our cabin in the rainforest for a few days. The Crucarta Shaman has been a steady companion.

IMG_20191226_130054.jpg

We have the wonderful fortune of having a spot on the River that's just a few miles from some pretty wild coast on the edge of the continent.

Rialto.jpg

IMG_20191226_160756.jpg
Beautiful! Are you in the Pacific Northwest?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:11 pm
Enactive wrote:

IMG_20191226_130054.jpg

Rialto.jpg

IMG_20191226_160756.jpg
I'm curious about the corrosion resistance when he gets back from his trip! Liners too

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:14 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Enactive wrote:

IMG_20191226_130054.jpg

Rialto.jpg

IMG_20191226_160756.jpg
I'm curious about the corrosion resistance when he gets back from his trip! Liners too
+1! That climate and area sure seem like a great test case for Cruwear.
- Julia

PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Dec. 28th and it's 62*, so I'm just chillin and have a para3 LW to take care of the small stuff. Don't want to strain myself with anything larger.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

A regular ol mili

15* dps with CBN, 20* dps microbevel with the brown rods

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

JuPaul wrote:

Thanks, Ju! Indeed. About fifteen years ago we built a very rustic cabin (gas and wood stove, haul water in, graywater sink out, pit toilet) on the West End of the Olympic Peninsula near La Push and Rialto beach on the Sol Duc River. My partner's grandpa bought the land in the 50s and there have been earlier cabins that were derelict when we met. My dad, she and i built the new place. Her parents lived out there in the 70s and she was born in the old fishing cabin. It's a magical spot that is my most calming place to be in the world.

The property gets ~110 inches of rain a year, vs ~35 inches a year at our house in the city.
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Ric, i haven't seen any corrosion on the Cruwear Shaman (nor my Cruwear Native). I carried the Shaman and my 1095 GEC 86 on a couple of long walks through the rainforest though they didn't get very wet those times. The 1095 didn't get any corrosion from that exposure though i had previously gotten some from cutting garlic and citrus.

I carried the Shaman on the rainy beach walk when we we got pretty hosed and were out in it for a few hours. It definitely got wet, but not soaked and i dried it out in the warm dry cabin when we got home. No sign of patina or rust on the blade or liner. Just to double check for ya i looked again with the help of a flashlight at the inside of the liners and nothing. I haven't disassembled to see the outside of the liners and have no reason to (unless i decide to deepen the detent hole to match the factory action of my "base model" Shaman.

Honestly though, my expectations are that Cruwear will be nearly stainless for my applications. I don't have corrosive sweat like some of our friends. ;) Vivi's pockets and Lance's Kayak are definitely more of the real corrosion testing grounds. I think it was Darby who told me that he'd seen his S30v as more prone to corrosion than his Cruwear. We all certainly have different applications, habits, chemistries and environments, which affect how different steels perform for us. From what i read here, i am not a 'corrosion prone guy' despite the rainforest place and my other year round outdoor activites. If i know i will be out paddling or otherwise getting wet i most often just carry my Native Salt (Still hankering for a Salty Chief). Lately, though i don't wanna stop carrying the Crucarta and the new jack knife.

I don't tend to see much corrosion on my carbon and tool steel knives (and tools) generally. My old hand saws, hammers, axes, hatchets, carving knives, gouges, chisels and drivers definitely show more patina than my folders (which i admittedly am more careful about drying out ASAP).
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:51 pm
JuPaul wrote:

Thanks, Ju! Indeed. About fifteen years ago we built a very rustic cabin (gas and wood stove, haul water in, graywater sink out, pit toilet) on the West End of the Olympic Peninsula near La Push and Rialto beach on the Sol Duc River. My partner's grandpa bought the land in the 50s and there have been earlier cabins that were derelict when we met. My dad, she and i built the new place. Her parents lived out there in the 70s and she was born in the old fishing cabin. It's a magical spot that is my most calming place to be in the world.

The property gets ~110 inches of rain a year, vs ~35 inches a year at our house in the city.
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Ric, i haven't seen any corrosion on the Cruwear Shaman (nor my Cruwear Native). I carried the Shaman and my 1095 GEC 86 on a couple of long walks through the rainforest though they didn't get very wet those times. The 1095 didn't get any corrosion from that exposure though i had previously gotten some from cutting garlic and citrus.

I carried the Shaman on the rainy beach walk when we we got pretty hosed and were out in it for a few hours. It definitely got wet, but not soaked and i dried it out in the warm dry cabin when we got home. No sign of patina or rust on the blade or liner. Just to double check for ya i looked again with the help of a flashlight at the inside of the liners and nothing. I haven't disassembled to see the outside of the liners and have no reason to (unless i decide to deepen the detent hole to match the factory action of my "base model" Shaman.

Honestly though, my expectations are that Cruwear will be nearly stainless for my applications. I don't have corrosive sweat like some of our friends. ;) Vivi's pockets and Lance's Kayak are definitely more of the real corrosion testing grounds. I think it was Darby who told me that he'd seen his S30v as more prone to corrosion than his Cruwear. We all certainly have different applications, habits, chemistries and environments, which affect how different steels perform for us. From what i read here, i am not a 'corrosion prone guy' despite the rainforest place and my other year round outdoor activites. If i know i will be out paddling or otherwise getting wet i most often just carry my Native Salt (Still hankering for a Salty Chief). Lately, though i don't wanna stop carrying the Crucarta and the new jack knife.

I don't tend to see much corrosion on my carbon and tool steel knives (and tools) generally. My old hand saws, hammers, axes, hatchets, carving knives, gouges, chisels and drivers definitely show more patina than my folders (which i admittedly am more careful about drying out ASAP).
I've always wanted to visit that area - just amazing country - and you are lucky to have a piece of it. And something built with your own sweat and tears is all the more precious!

I've still yet to hear of a Cruwear corrosion issue!
- Julia

CrayzCanuck

Post by CrayzCanuck »

This Canadian is the proud owner of a shiny new Kapara.
Despite the new snow, it has been residing in my jeans pocket pretty much constantly. I am very much looking to become a Shaman owner in the new year though.

It’s really enjoyable to hear about the different knives, the people who use them and the environments they are used in.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Looks like you did a great job on that chip Matt!! I remember when you were pretty bummed about that. Well done!

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Police again.

:unicorn
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Holland wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:45 pm

Very nice!
Thanks! 👍🏻
Nebrasketball

Post by Nebrasketball »

Para 3 Cruwear with smooth g10.
VG-10, H-1, 154-CM, LC200N, S30V, S35VN, S110V, M390, 20CV, CTS B70P, RWL34, AEB-L, N690Co, BD-1, XHP, 8cr13mov, CRUWEAR