What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by SG89 »

Decided to go clipless with the Native 5....Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Is that the CPM Cru-Wear Native?

Also, love the Alox! The 2019 "champagne gold" is the most beautiful of the Alox colors, IMO.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 pm
Is that the CPM Cru-Wear Native?

Also, love the Alox! The 2019 "champagne gold" is the most beautiful of the Alox colors, IMO.
Yes indeed!
Spydergirl88
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

vivi

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:53 pm
Hah, you gotta tell me the story behind that chop chop Spike.

Here's what I carried this evening. Left the P4 home.

:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:28 pm
That's definitely an impressive edge Connor! Can't imagine how great that baby slices!! Now you pressured Vivi to go to something crazy like 6dps...probably grinding away at this moment :p
I reprofiled a few knives this month....pretty burnt out for now. My LW Police is next up, whenever I'm in the mood.

My Police 3 might be even thinner :D Wider bevel, but its also convexed, so hard to say for sure.
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:29 pm
Decided to go clipless with the Native 5....Image
Which Victorinox? I've been thinking about ordering a Pioneer.
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:13 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:28 pm
That's definitely an impressive edge Connor! Can't imagine how great that baby slices!! Now you pressured Vivi to go to something crazy like 6dps...probably grinding away at this moment :p
Thanks Rick, it really is a cutting machine!
Interestingly, for as much (well -deserved) praise as the P4 gets for being a slicey dream, in my opinion it is slightly beat by the Autonomy 2. The A2 has a measured stock thickness just under the P4 (2.8 mm IIRC) and also seems to have a slightly thinner grind. Both knives are outstanding Sal Glesser designs and true workhorses.
I wouldn't have guessed that. Good to know.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:09 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

A few years ago, I lost my CRKT Minimalist wharncliffe while working. I missed it so much that I decided to modify a Cold Steel Spike bowie I had sitting in a drawer into something similar. This has a two inch blade and a more comfortable, hand filling, cord wrapped handle. Carrying a small fixed blade again like this one is making me really interested in the upcoming Swick 5!

After seeing your Street Beat in several posts, I've been looking at alot of Fred Perrin's designs. I don't have any real interest in the defensive intent of his designs, but many of them seem like they would perform well in a utilitarian function.

How are you liking the Street Beat? Are you using the factory sheath?
vivi

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:38 am
Vivi wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

A few years ago, I lost my CRKT Minimalist wharncliffe while working. I missed it so much that I decided to modify a Cold Steel Spike bowie I had sitting in a drawer into something similar. This has a two inch blade and a more comfortable, hand filling, cord wrapped handle. Carrying a small fixed blade again like this one is making me really interested in the upcoming Swick 5!

After seeing your Street Beat in several posts, I've been looking at alot of Fred Perrin's designs. I don't have any real interest in the defensive intent of his designs, but many of them seem like they would perform well in a utilitarian function.

How are you liking the Street Beat? Are you using the factory sheath?
I've got a Spike laying around I never use these days, I might try giving it a cord wrap handle.

The Perrin bowies are really nice all purpose blades IMO. I have no comment on any self defense applications, as my experience is strictly in the realm of utility.

The design is really nice the way it gives you the feeling of a deep guard without a traditional protruding guard. It's a very elegant approach to knife design. Very ergonomic and secure.

I like the smaller one for EDC and the larger one for hiking and camping. The larger one offers a lot of cutting edge for the weight. The smaller one with the shorter blade and more compact handle is more convenient to carry day to day.

I've been using the factory sheath. It's one of the best sheaths I've gotten with a fb. Very secure retention, which is something I look for as sometimes I carry small fixed blades horizontal on my belt. Zero rattle too. The Street Bowie sheath rattles some and has maybe half the retention.

I have a lot of fixed blades in the Street Beats size range I've carried over the years. Izula 1 & 2, Swicks, Swamp Rat necker, L T Wright Frontier Valley, Landi PSK & EDC and others. Street Beat knocked em all out of the rotation, I like it that much.

While I love the look & feel of canvas micarta and carbon steel with a nica patina, the S.B. is a super practical EDC. It's an ergonomic masterpiece, nearly rust proof with its coated VG10, has a perfectly executed sheath, and the entire package weighs about as much as my Police LW.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:06 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Vivi wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
I've got a Spike laying around I never use these days, I might try giving it a cord wrap handle.

The Perrin bowies are really nice all purpose blades IMO. I have no comment on any self defense applications, as my experience is strictly in the realm of utility.

The design is really nice the way it gives you the feeling of a deep guard without a traditional protruding guard. It's a very elegant approach to knife design. Very ergonomic and secure.

I like the smaller one for EDC and the larger one for hiking and camping. The larger one offers a lot of cutting edge for the weight. The smaller one with the shorter blade and more compact handle is more convenient to carry day to day.

I've been using the factory sheath. It's one of the best sheaths I've gotten with a fb. Very secure retention, which is something I look for as sometimes I carry small fixed blades horizontal on my belt. Zero rattle too. The Street Bowie sheath rattles some and has maybe half the retention.

I have a lot of fixed blades in the Street Beats size range I've carried over the years. Izula 1 & 2, Swicks, Swamp Rat necker, L T Wright Frontier Valley, Landi PSK & EDC and others. Street Beat knocked em all out of the rotation, I like it that much.

While I love the look & feel of canvas micarta and carbon steel with a nica patina, the S.B. is a super practical EDC. It's an ergonomic masterpiece, nearly rust proof with its coated VG10, has a perfectly executed sheath, and the entire package weighs about as much as my Police LW.

Don´t know how it comes that I never looked into this model (the Street Beat) in detail,when in fact it might be what I always wanted Spyderco to produce.

Vivi, may I ask:

You know from some chats we had that my go to small fixed blade is the White River Backpacker Pro (see pic below). It is somehow just an a bit larger Esee Izula 2 (the latter is a bit too shortbladed for me, and I prefer the S30V (now S35VN) of the White River over the 1095 in such a small knife).

Now: Do you think, the street beat could be the (better?) "Spyderco option" roughly in that size class?

The White River has an overall (CARRY) length of 7.00, the Street beat of 7.18; still, the Street Beat offers a blade of 3.5, the White River of only 3.0
Weight is practically the same (Street Beat even a tad lighter).

My concerns though would be: I have to baton the White River backpacker a lot. Would the handle of the Street beat hold up to this (tang not exposed!)? And how pronounced is the swedge on the Spine (too sharp being bad for batoning and imho generally for an utility (and not SD-) knife?
Plus: Knives with such a deep inde finger grrove tend to be unstable in the hand when doing for example whittling of harder wood. How is this with the Street Beat?

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Getting all my gear ready for Veterans Day. :)

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Vivi wrote:

Glad to hear such good feedback from a Street Beat user. The handle, with it's single deep finger choil, looks super comfortable and secure. Perhaps something that has steered me away from this model is the blade shape. Apart from an outdoor camp/"survival" application, I really dislike blades with large upsweeps and generally prefer little to no belly. Maybe if the existing blade had a negative angle to the handle, I would find it more appealing. I've really grown to appreciate the negative angle found on alot of Spyderco's designs.

I also have an ESEE 3HM that I've been meaning to post about in your ESEE thread. I'll try to do that soon.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Hey Sharp Guy may I ask, what is that smaller knife? It looks almost like a Goddard design!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:04 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Hey Sharp Guy may I ask, what is that smaller knife? It looks almost like a Goddard design!
I'm going to guess - Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:39 am
Vivi wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Don´t know how it comes that I never looked into this model (the Street Beat) in detail,when in fact it might be what I always wanted Spyderco to produce.

Vivi, may I ask:

You know from some chats we had that my go to small fixed blade is the White River Backpacker Pro (see pic below). It is somehow just an a bit larger Esee Izula 2 (the latter is a bit too shortbladed for me, and I prefer the S30V (now S35VN) of the White River over the 1095 in such a small knife).

Now: Do you think, the street beat could be the (better?) "Spyderco option" roughly in that size class?

The White River has an overall (CARRY) length of 7.00, the Street beat of 7.18; still, the Street Beat offers a blade of 3.5, the White River of only 3.0
Weight is practically the same (Street Beat even a tad lighter).

My concerns though would be: I have to baton the White River backpacker a lot. Would the handle of the Street beat hold up to this (tang not exposed!)? And how pronounced is the swedge on the Spine (too sharp being bad for batoning and imho generally for an utility (and not SD-) knife?
Plus: Knives with such a deep inde finger grrove tend to be unstable in the hand when doing for example whittling of harder wood. How is this with the Street Beat?

As much as I like my Street Beat I think it's a knife that can fill the role that you're looking for VS one designed specifically for that role. The handle shape is never going to be as comfortable as say a Mora 511 for long term wood carving. But it's perfectly good for making a couple of feather sticks and breaking apart small chunks of fatwood.

I can't honestly say whether you'd like it better than the Backpacker. Both are ergonomic, well made, have nice sheaths and are a pretty similar size. The Spyderco is a bit lighter, a little cheaper VS the micarta scaled backpacker, has a tougher blade steel and if you like the handle there's a larger version to compliment it with.

The Backpacker is one of the models I've looked at for the same role. It has the micarta scales I prefer and a great looking overall design, but the steel selection and sharpening notch made me second guess the purchase. I may still try one someday.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

👍👍
Sharp Guy wrote:

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:28 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:04 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
I'm going to guess - Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent?
Yep! Connor's got it! I love these little knives!

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:19 am

Which Victorinox? I've been thinking about ordering a Pioneer.
It's a Cadet. Get the Pioneer- it's great too
Spydergirl88
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »