Would you hand a Spydie slipjoint to

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VictorLouis

Would you hand a Spydie slipjoint to

Post by VictorLouis »

a co-worker, for example, to cut open their bagel? Or, would such a job be best reserved for a locking knife, w/o the chance of them having the blade close on them due to their ignorance of proper technique?
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I've let people use my knives which are all locking knives, and almost all of the non-knife people stuggle and can't get it closed so they hand it back open. I think if I handed them a slip joint they would have snapped it closed on a finger.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

It depends on the person I'm handing it to. I, like Gunslinger, usually get handed back an open knife when I give it to someone to use because I have a lot of NKP in my life. I wouldn't hand my Squeak to them for fear of them getting "bit".
I wouldn't hand my Delica over either but that's because I love that knife and don't want it damaged. :) All in all, locking knife would be the better choice IMHO.
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

It depends on the person I'm handing it to. I, like Gunslinger, usually get handed back an open knife when I give it to someone to use because I have a lot of NKP in my life. I wouldn't hand my Squeak to them for fear of them getting "bit".
I wouldn't hand my Delica over either but that's because I love that knife and don't want it damaged. :) All in all, locking knife would be the better choice IMHO.
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I don't hand knives to anyone. I cut what they need cut for them.

That could get "weird" with a bagel, but it's my knife and their bagel ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think a slipjoint would be better to hand someone. Just tell them "it's a slipjoint, it will close on you" and they probably won't be prying with it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
darkangel55555

Post by darkangel55555 »

SAKs are more commonly known, if people don't know how to use 'em, they don't get lent 'em. Simple as. I take the same approach with my lights, cars, and probably anything else.
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

Donut wrote:I think a slipjoint would be better to hand someone. Just tell them "it's a slipjoint, it will close on you" and they probably won't be prying with it.
The problem is that people stop listening at "slipjoint" because they don't know what that means :rolleyes:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I think more of the folks who don't regularly carry a pocket knife would be familiar with the operation of a slipjoint than with a locking folder and thus less likely to use the spine as a thumb rest than most of us. OTOH, according to one ER doctor I know, slicing bagels is something that a significant number of people do not know how to do safely.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

The Deacon wrote:I think more of the folks who don't regularly carry a pocket knife would be familiar with the operation of a slipjoint than with a locking folder and thus less likely to use the spine as a thumb rest than most of us. OTOH, according to one ER doctor I know, slicing bagels is something that a significant number of people do not know how to do safely.
I agree, they are familiar with the operation of a slipjoint. However, in my experience at least, people simply don't know what the word "slipjoint" means.
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

bpeezer wrote:The problem is that people stop listening at "slipjoint" because they don't know what that means :rolleyes:
Yes, story of my life. I then started saying it was non-locking and had one person tell me that "that knife is unsafe and you should throw it out before someone calls the police on you for using it." How its unsafe when knives were slippies for YEARS before they had locks escapes me. And I don't lend my knives out to just anyone who needs it, most people will just ask me to cut what they need because they know I have a blade on me and will do it for them :)

racer88

Post by racer88 »

Ummm..... what kind of person would cut his food with a knife that resides in someone else's pocket (and obviously not knowing "where that knife has been")???

Yeah... I clean my fingernails with my knife, but go ahead and cut your bagel with it. :eek:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

If I loan my knife to someone I seldom think as much about the person's safety as I do the condition of my knife when they hand it back. Slip joint or lock. That plays no part in my decision to let someone else use my knife. I will only let someone use it if they know enough about using a knife that I believe they won't break it or ding up the edge real bad. I'm only concerned about my knife. So, if I think they know enough about how to use a knife that they won't damage mine I figure they know enough not to cut themselves. Of course there's never a guarantee they won't cut themselves. I know how to handle knives and I cut myself once in a while. I do inform them the knife may be sharper than any knife they have seen (maybe).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You lost me at "hand a coworker your knife", because it just wouldn't happen, locking or non locking.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

kbuzbee wrote:I don't hand knives to anyone. I cut what they need cut for them.

That could get "weird" with a bagel, but it's my knife and their bagel ;)

Ken
+1 Bingo. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Evil D wrote:You lost me at "hand a coworker your knife", because it just wouldn't happen, locking or non locking.
+1

However, I may let someone use my knife ONLY if I know them well. Eg wife, relative or very close friend. That said, I never met an adult who could not figure out how to use a slip joint. There are far more dangerous (or as dangerous) things adults use regularly...like wine bottle openers, cheese graters, and gardening tools, etc.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

racer88 wrote:Ummm..... what kind of person would cut his food with a knife that resides in someone else's pocket (and obviously not knowing "where that knife has been")???

Yeah... I clean my fingernails with my knife, but go ahead and cut your bagel with it. :eek:
LOL. Yeah...I manscaped myself this morning with it, but go ahead.... :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

^^^ I completely agree, Mako. The only persons who I'd readily hand a knife are limited to members of my own family. It keeps others safe, and it also helps to prevent unintentional damage to the blade.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I might gift someone a Spydie but I would not share any one of mine, slip joint or otherwise, except perhaps for a supervised fondle...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Eee

Post by Eee »

I'll lend to a chosen few. It'll often be slip joints because of our edc laws. I just say 'it's non locking'. If they cut themselves after that it's their problem, although I may give them a plaster if they haven't damaged the knife :D
You are
What you do
When it counts
- The Masao