Would you hand a Spydie slipjoint to

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jsveiga

Post by jsveiga »

sorry, not in the "slipjoint" topic, but in the handing a knife topic...

Most of my coworkers know my left arm is "bald" because I keep "testing" my knife on it, (and I've shown some the shaved spots in my ankle too) so they'd never want their bagels touched by my knife.

Shortly after I bought the Stretch ZDP though, a mechanical technician was in the lab to make modifications in the faceplate of a prototype rack-mounted equipment. "do you have an utility knife?" he asked. I was so proud of my brand new Stretch that I went "no, but I have THIS" (pulled the knife from pocket and snapped it open). "wow! nice!".

I thought he was going to cut the display cable ties to remove it from the faceplate he was drilling some holes in.

To my horror, he used the knife to cut out the burrs from the holes he had just drilled in the aluminum faceplate!! Of course I could not chicken out after the initial show-off, so I anxiously waited for him to return the knife (trying my best to look casually cool).

As expected, ZDP ate the soft aluminum like butter, and it didn't visibly chip nor scratch the blade (the guy was kind enough not to "dig" a bevel in the holes twisting the knife tip in them, he simply shaved the burrs off).

But now I always ask "what for?" when someone asks for a knife, and if possible I do the cut myself (which didn't save it from some scratches when opening a package with sand/dirt impregnated adhesive tape...)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I generally try to avoid lending a knife to someone. I like to ask "what's wrong with your knife?" when they inquire about borrowing mine. My father taught me that if you have to borrow a tool once you need to get one of your own before you need it a second time.

Regarding the OP thought, I would prefer to hand them a slipjoint because most non-knife people still understand how the typical SAK, Case, Buck, Etc. pocket knife works. The locking knives are fine to lend, but only if I know what they are cutting. (I never lend out my ZDP knives or the thin reprofiled ones.)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
paladin

Post by paladin »

kbuzbee wrote:I don't hand knives to anyone. I cut what they need cut for them.

That could get "weird" with a bagel, but it's my knife and their bagel ;)

Ken
too funny...thanks for making me laugh, ken!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I don't think I would. I am too concerned they would cut themselves trying to close it. The detent on both of my Urbans is pretty strong and they aren't as used to it as I am.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
darkangel55555

Post by darkangel55555 »

kbuzbee wrote:I don't hand knives to anyone. I cut what they need cut for them.

That could get "weird" with a bagel, but it's my knife and their bagel ;)

Ken
It's MY bagel now!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Having seen people in my office cut their bagels, I wouldn't trust most of them with anything other than a plastic disposable knife for fear of them cutting themselves at the same time. If I handed them a sharp serrated blade, there would be fingers on the floor.

Like others have said, best not to loan your knives out, at least not knives you care about.
If they don't carry a knife, they can darn well chew their bagel whole :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Watch how most people handle a knife in the kitchen. Few people actually know how to properly hold a knife or use it, whether that's a kitchen knife or pocket knife. Obviously basic knife skills aren't that difficult, but it seems most people don't have any training and don't stop to think about what they are doing, so it leads to accidents or people doing stupid things with a knife.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wouldn't hand them one most times. I'm sure they'd get hurt. Not enough people carry pocketknives anymore, so they haven't a clue as to knife safety. Plus, they think we're psychos. I usually cut for them, unless I trust them. I want more people to be around, and used to knives.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bayvillageidiot

Post by bayvillageidiot »

Sounds like a useful job site exercise, to me.
If the guy flunks the bagel-cutting test, then I'll know not to let him use the circular saw. :eek:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My main issue with loaning out locking knives is that many folks don't know how to operate the locks. They fiddle around with them for a minute, admit defeat, and try to hand it back to you - BLADE FIRST! :eek:

A few years ago, I was teaching my son knife safety for his Boy Scout "Whittlin' Chip" badge. One of the most humorous things for him was the rule that makes a lot of sense to me. When you hand a Scout a knife, the recipient is supposed to say "Thank You" before the person giving the knife lets go. This is a safety thing to avoid fumbles on handoffs. You obviously can't do this with knife newbies, but I like the rule anyways... It makes sense...

TedP
endgame

Post by endgame »

Spyderco assist bagel slicing king and I would trust that knife in there hands lockbacks are easy and no point.pluss those serrations perfect for a bagel so it just depends on the knife.
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

Well, I do my team the courtesy of defunking the blade with hand-sanitizer gel, first. There were only two out of 10 that knew how to work the back-lock, two asked, and 6 handed it back to me properly for me to close. That got me to thinking. Someone who didn't know how to use a slip joint could easily have it close-up on them while 'sawing through the bagel'.
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

rodloos wrote:Having seen people in my office cut their bagels, I wouldn't trust most of them with anything other than a plastic disposable knife for fear of them cutting themselves at the same time. If I handed them a sharp serrated blade, there would be fingers on the floor.

Like others have said, best not to loan your knives out, at least not knives you care about.
If they don't carry a knife, they can darn well chew their bagel whole :) .
Cannot agree more.

Then you also get those special people who has the safety side of it under control, but whacks you fresh cutting edge into a granite counter top or ceramic plate without batting an eyelid.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi