Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Issues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shazama

Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Issues

Post by Shazama »

Just got my Paramilitary 2 satin blade digi-camo today and was a little disappointed. I'm not sure if it's just my knife or if it is a general issue, but it has a lot of blade play. I tried to fix it by tightening the pivot screw, but that just makes the knife impossible to open with one hand. My Military on the other hand is lightening fast and has no blade play issues.Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this? Or is this just how the Para-2 is? Thanks.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Send it in :)
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

Yeah send it in to Spyderco, there shouldn't be any blade play.
Shazama

Post by Shazama »

Thanks guys! I was thinking about that, but just wanted some reassurance :)
endgame

Post by endgame »

Try this first loosen pivot skrews and body skrews tighten pivot to just no blade play beoforpe it gets to tight this can be a 1/8 to less turn difference in this so you are going to far. Thenskrew inbody skrews lightly do not tighten these have allot to do with the play and detention.once you find the sweet spot get the blue locktight and set it.I have taken a couple pm-2s apart for new scales and came across this problem.theo difference is in the slightest turn of the pivot.if you cant do this send it in they will.pm me I will give you phone number and I can talk you threw it if you want.don't wrench down the body screws just screw them in lightly
Martin

Post by Martin »

Shazama wrote:Just got my Paramilitary 2 satin blade digi-camo today and was a little disappointed. I'm not sure if it's just my knife or if it is a general issue, but it has a lot of blade play. I tried to fix it by tightening the pivot screw, but that just makes the knife impossible to open with one hand. My Military on the other hand is lightening fast and has no blade play issues.Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this? Or is this just how the Para-2 is? Thanks.
I have exactely your model of Para-2, never had an issue. Maybe just an unlucky piece...
vtvman

Post by vtvman »

Hate to ask but have you considered if it was a fake? Those are floating around now unfortunately.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

did you get a new one or a used knife?
if you got it from ebay, you maybe consider if its a fake! as written above!
usally there shouldn't be any bladeplay at all! and the construction of the pm2 is not meant to change blade play or even tightness to open by tightening the pivot screw!
aogami super blue dragonfly!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Try tightening the stop pin screw as tight as it goes and then play with the pivot screws
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Shazama

Post by Shazama »

I have tried all sorts of combinations of tightening the lock bar and pivot in varying degrees and it still has so much wiggle. I did get the knife new came in the Spyderco packaging unopened off of ebay. As for if it is a fake I certainly hope not! It has Sal's and Eric's logo and CPM S30V plus the Golden Colorado USA Earth printed on the blade.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

can you post a picture?
Shazama

Post by Shazama »

Well the images my camera saves are too large to post even after I tried compressing them. Here is a link to a page with the picture of my Para-2: Para-2 Picture
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

that should be a real one! if not i wouldn't be sure my pm2 is real!
Shazama

Post by Shazama »

I think I'm going to send it off tomorrow morning on my way to work and let Spyderco take a look at it.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

thats probably the best idea! let us know, whats going on!
Shazama

Post by Shazama »

Just got the Para-2 back today nice and tight and with a nice Spyderco product catalog!
Holland

Post by Holland »

thats great news!!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Quality control

Post by Quality control »

I started with a tenatious. Amazing knife. Then, I bought a black black pm2 and boy it's a fantastic knife. So nice in fact, I bought another one from a respectable online dealer and a digi camo satin version just for fun. However, when I received the second black blade knife, it had major side to side blade play!!! So, I tried tightening the pivot screw and other screws in multiple combinations. It helped a little but still the blade wiggles and gets worse the more I open it. So, I send it back to spyderco and describe the problem. I get it back and it still has the play. What the heck spyderco. Anyway, I firmly believe that if a 140$ knife has side to side play, I've been scammed. Seriously spyderco, I guess I'll just buy your foreign made knives because every one of those that I have bought locks up great and opens smoothly. I feel a little embarrassed as I've recommended the pm2 to a few other people but now I would only recommend it if you could actually handle the knife first, and are capable of making your own repairs because spyderco is obviously too busy to back their their products and reputation. I also sent my digi satin brand new never used knife back because the blade was way off centered when closed. They sharpened it and sent it back with the exact same off centered look. My wife said they look and feel so crappy that she would try and get my money back. I really thought spyderco would fix this problem. Wrong. Thanks for sharpening my brand new knife again. Oh and thanks for the oil bath my shirt took the first time I opened my black coated pm2. Oh and thanks for costing me all that shipping. I feel duped.
Heath