crazy prices in australia

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

crazy prices in australia

Post by endgame »

Can a aussie member .chime in and tell me if tenacous and other knives are going for crazy high prices?I heard $200 for a tenacous?
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I can't verify the truth of the $200 Tenacious but it is true that prices have gone way up. Any new Spydie coming into the country Should pass the customs flick test first & very few do. That makes it that very few new Spydies make it in to Australia legaly. It seems, or at least for the moment because everything is open for change that a knife imported pre December 2011 is OK.
Supply & demand is therefore out of balance & driving up prices.
O.
Reject

Post by Reject »

The easy answer is; Yes.
Check out this on EBay Australia for a Para 2.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spyderco-C81 ... 452wt_1399

I have seen on EBay Tenacious for around that asking price.

One of the reason I now focus on Spyderco fixed blade knives for the collection.
How much can a Koala bear?
Freman

Post by Freman »

You poor Australians. Contrived tests that don't reflect any real knowledge of knives, all because a few ethnic minorities stab each other with kitchen knives. A pathetic end for the country that gave us Crocodile Dundee. (Britain has some stupid laws too, but at least you can own the knives even if you can't take them anywhere)

Put repealing stupid knife import laws to whoever is running for the next election. Abbot seems like a man's man, so he might be amenable to stopping the emasculation of Australia.

Failing that you can always move to New Zealand. Our only laws are Police permission needed to import flick/assisted opening knives and knives over 10cm. Sure you need a reason to carry a knife, if asked by the Police, but if you use your knife at work, and it's something not overly threatening (like a Persistence or Delica or Tenacious) you shouldn't have any trouble.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Poor guys.I am getting a rockstead for a great price from a dealer out there how can you guys import them there and not import spydies.I found a close deal on the rockstead in the States cause now I am worried I might not get it out of Australia.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

That is unfortunate in Canada (other than switch blades) it really isn't an issue. I carry one everyday for work and think it is so crazy when bureaucrats put a restriction on something that is used so much everyday by every one of us for utility and label it a weapon. We could accomplish our day to day tasks without knives but it would be very inconvenient. And the whole folding or fixed blade thing ... I don't get it.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

so also better not bring a folder when i'll visit my buddies in australia?!
thats a lot of crazy restrictions!
i honestly feel sorry for you guys! these prices are insane!
aogami super blue dragonfly!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Can you import knife parts in Australia? A disassembled knife in two packages can't be flicked tested, can it?
Freman

Post by Freman »

You might be able to ask a seller to really crank up the pivot nut so the blade barely opens. You can correct it later when you get the knife.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Freman wrote:You might be able to ask a seller to really crank up the pivot nut so the blade barely opens. You can correct it later when you get the knife.
Its well known in the uk that they loosen pivot screws when testing.
And they're not being questioned legality wise .
Just one win against customs and the whole laws collapse.
It happens in the uk they declare legal blades illegal .
What is blatant is you can buy them here in or on online stores.
So the guy who pays maybe $40 tax gets seizure of goods.
Whilst the big companies paying thousands don't , hmm.
I wonder why I feel for you guys big time .
Freman what a ignorant racist statement ethnic minorities take it somewhere else.
Or contrary to my suggestion provide facts that only 'ethnic minorities' carry out knife attacks in Australia or anywhere else.
People don't come here to argue and I'm not going to start I've too much respect for the man (Sal).
But there are crimes committed by every race , creed , colour .
You state kitchen knives which is fact 99.9% of stabbings occur using them.
So I'm not accepting a plea of ignorance .
Please refrain from anymore prejudice statements ?.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Can you import knife parts in Australia? A disassembled knife in two packages can't be flicked tested, can it?
That's a good idea, I like it and I would try it!
endgame

Post by endgame »

Good idea? Two packages.
endgame

Post by endgame »

White people get just as stabby freeman
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

endgame wrote:Good idea? Two packages.
What's wrong with getting two packages? But then I guess you're the only one with bright ideas. :p
endgame

Post by endgame »

Sorry wrong punctuation I was praising the idea.lol
Freman

Post by Freman »

Bladekeeper wrote: Freman what a ignorant racist statement ethnic minorities take it somewhere else.
Or contrary to my suggestion provide facts that only 'ethnic minorities' carry out knife attacks in Australia or anywhere else.
People don't come here to argue and I'm not going to start I've too much respect for the man (Sal).
But there are crimes committed by every race , creed , colour .
You state kitchen knives which is fact 99.9% of stabbings occur using them.
So I'm not accepting a plea of ignorance .
Please refrain from anymore prejudice statements ?.
In England, criminal violence is disproportionately ethnic minority on ethnic minority.

From New York City in 2012 over 86% of murder/non-negligent manslaughter victims are Black or Hispanic, and about the same percentage suspects.

Strangely enough Australia no longer keeps ethnic records of criminal offending except in Victoria, supposedly because those statistics were being "misused" perhaps by people suggesting that criminal violence was predominantly ethnic minority on ethnic minority?

The situation in England is that because of the excessive violence between ethnic minorities, everyone is being penalized in their ability to carry their own property. That doesn't stop members of criminal groups obtaining and using weapons, as you say kitchen knives are very easily obtained and used. Likewise in Australia I am absolutely certain that those carrying knives for defensive or offensive purposes are not picking up expensive folders.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Freman wrote:In England, criminal violence is disproportionately ethnic minority on ethnic minority.

From New York City in 2012 over 86% of murder/non-negligent manslaughter victims are Black or Hispanic, and about the same percentage suspects.

Strangely enough Australia no longer keeps ethnic records of criminal offending except in Victoria, supposedly because those statistics were being "misused" perhaps by people suggesting that criminal violence was predominantly ethnic minority on ethnic minority?

The situation in England is that because of the excessive violence between ethnic minorities, everyone is being penalized in their ability to carry their own property. That doesn't stop members of criminal groups obtaining and using weapons, as you say kitchen knives are very easily obtained and used. Likewise in Australia I am absolutely certain that those carrying knives for defensive or offensive purposes are not picking up expensive folders.
Ok I live in the uk , where are you getting these facts from ?.
Please provide reference , in terms of gun crime then I will admit.
There is a higher proportion of black on black shootings -fact.
I have been witness to more than one stabbing all white English offenders .
I was attacked -white English assailant , if you put up the facts ill happily be corrected.
And as a statement of my post not in a argumentitive response .
There is always a manner in which to convey such statements that will convey what was said.
So those reading can see no prejudice was intended but even bringing it up really is irrelevant .
If the whole proration was committed by say white folks would the powers that be not enforce these laws.
And the minorities that are referred to just happen to be whom ? Immigrants from other countries .
As said not a argumentitive response I'd like to think that people can disagree and have civil conversations .
But there's also the option of stating you never meant that but was quoting stats .
In which case a bit of humility and the fact that a lot is lost in translation over the net.
But untill I see the facts ill remain sceptical and I have seen the facts regarding the uk/England .
The information you have posted is incorrect , which is irrelevant the main point is no amount of lobbying etc is going to change these laws that are now in place.
The USA seems to be the last place that is capable of having this people power actually make a difference.
So pointing the finger serves little purpose but comes across as bigoted .

And ill also take the first step in apologising if that wasn't your implication .
Thanks .
Your points are well made and it seems like maybe I've gone off the deep end.
But I've come across so many similar statements that cannot be backed up.
The information I've seen cones from the uk home office so I know its accurate .
That its not released to the public is something that I feel doesn't help.

And my grammatical errors are down to spell correction and I'm too tired to correct them .
Freman

Post by Freman »

The links are in the above post. Just hover your mouse over the text.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Ok last post on this topic but the links refer to New York.
The op was regarding the Australian laws that have come into force.
I agree on the minority being responsible for ruining it for the majority .
But statistics don't show ratio respectively .
There are factors such as demographics and poverty that account for more than the actual facts per SE.
Eg I live in a small town that has the highest rate of heroin addiction in the uk.
But that is based on per populous not amount of people .
Still it has the highest rate of addiction .
Would I be justified in saying the - folk are the biggest junkies in Britain .
That the facts support this -no its more complex .
Again the ethnic minority topic its open to interpretation .
Are second generation Indian immigrants an ethnic minority in the eyes of stats.
No they're British citizens , Eastern European immigrants that have moved here are.
When its all added up and put in a package that represents the amount of convictions its highly confusing and contentious.
Of course as you say the criminals aren't going to be affected by these laws .
They will continue to obtain outlawed knives , guns etc etc .
The amount of convictions in the uk for stabbings are IIRC 51% domestic crimes .
So how does that balance ?
Your guess is as good as mine but its gone way ot now .

Edit : also something to remember that the conviction rate isn't deducted from those cases where no perpetrators was caught from the crime hence the 51% domestic point.

Thanks .
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Very well said Bladekeeper. I support this view one hundred percent. I can't begin to put it as eloquently as you did but needless to say, it is a complicated issue where the core drivers of poverty and social circumstances prevail. I can't imagine walking in the shoes a citizen who has to bare the brunt of the ignorant. There are bad apples within any group. People from all walks of life and all ethnic groups do horrible things for many reasons that we struggle to understand and rarely do. It's a big planet but it's getting smaller all the time and unless we broaden or thinking its not about to get any easier.

This is certainly a big and unfortunate detour from the OP and probably pushing the boundaries of the rules of this forum. So to end this back on topic, the prices in Australia are truly out of hand. I can't say it would stop me from living in that country I love knives but there are other things in life I hold more dearly. Still I am happy it hasn't come to that point where I live but, we never know what the future holds.