Spyderco Squeak

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYBYU44

Spyderco Squeak

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I must confess I haven't owned a Spydie product in a few years now, been experimenting with different brands. My latest one being a Buck 560 (Buck 110 with Ti handles) and a custom slipjoint I had made. Recently I spotted a Squeak that a fella was selling for $35, so I picked it up since it seemed like an interesting knife. Well I'm happy to be in the Spydie clan again! The little Squeak is aiming way above it's weight class for sure, a very well put together knife. It is a little small, but it hasn't left me wanting more in any of my daily cutting chores, plus it is so light I don't even know it's there. Love the wire clip, so elegant and it looks like pen clipped to your pocket due to the deep carry. Because I'm not worried about scaring people with it, I carry it everywhere clipped to my pocket. If you haven't picked one up yet, I highly suggest one, they are very nice for a LBK. Also the slipjoint makes it very fast to deploy and then put away, all in a safe fluid motion.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

I agree, I carry a Squeak with me at work and no one is the wiser due to the wire clip. I love the steel, the slipjoint aspect, the size. For $35, you got a **** good deal. I paid $50 and feel it would be worth more.
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
Mike71

Post by Mike71 »

Brand new to the forum, hello all!

I just purchased a squeak for 33 bucks on amazon. Not a 3rd party, amazon direct. It was the last one so keeping my fingers crossed the order ships. Also threw in the wooden dragonfly kit for my boy. With the $20 credit I had sitting there from a botched prime order (long story, but amazon rocks) it was 26 bucks well spent I think.

My main edc is a BM mini grip and I get funny looks some times as its all blade when deployed. Yah it's only 3 inches, but folks get spooked easy I guess. Good thing I don't open carry my handgun, that'd really make em squeak...no pun intended. Anyway, the squeak seems to hit the sweet spot for me. Deep concealment, great grind, apparently higher end steel, and it seems duplicate the one thing I LOVE about the mini grip....easy one handed use from start to finish.

Yes I can close many lockers with one hand, but not easily. Having RA has really reduced my hand strength over the years. So many things felt right about the g10 Chicago I handled recently except the one handed closing. Squeak seems to nail it for me anyway. We shall see!

As for safety, only time I cut myself with folding knives is trying to one hand close locking knives. Learned how to handle non locking knives at an early age, won't be an issue for me. Good to be here and enjoying reading so far.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forum, Mike. The Squeak is a lot of nice things, I hope it works well for you.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Clip

Post by Clip »

Just picked one up myself, this is one I've been looking forward to for a long time!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I have my pink squeak clipped inside my pocket right now. Great knife that does 95% of the cutting tasks I run into, the other 5% aren't tasked I would subject one of my knives to anyways, that is what the disposable utility knife is for. I have found the N690 to be an excellent steel, holds a great edge for a very respectable time and sharpens the easiest of any of my spyderco's. Wish we saw more knives in this steel, I have really come to enjoy working it on the bench stones.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Glad to have you here, Mike. The Squeak is a fine first choice! Unfortunately, mine doesn't see much carry time due to the love affair I have with my H1 Dragonfly. :rolleyes: Anyway, the pink variation of the Squeak is now available ($55-$60 range), so you can get one for your significant other too! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Amazon (great price, BTW) is showing a 2 month wait on the Squeak. Ugh.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

TomAiello wrote:Amazon (great price, BTW) is showing a 2 month wait on the Squeak. Ugh.
Cutlery Shoppe has them in stock, black for $42.00, pink for $42.50, and I think several other retailers have them also.
By the time Amazon gets them back in stock, they may well raise their price :) . Seems to happen when I have an item I'm looking at on Amazon, and put off deciding, then when I want it, the price has gone up :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to our forum, and thanx for your kind comments.

FLYBYU, thanx also for the kind words.

The "Squeak" was one of those designs that even my crew thought I might have lost it. Fortunately they trust my vision and I've had more positive odd thoughts than negative, so it was worth a try. New concept in knife type, (very few wide short blades out there) new concept for a relatively new to Spyderco maker, new steel, wide thin flat grind, and it had to be "cute" for "socially and politically correct" presence. Non locker, had to easily open and close one handed, cost effective, etc.

Our maker in Italy has been great to work with and cooperative with our fussy requirements.

We're pleased that you are enjoying our "Slipit's".

sal
sbwings

Post by sbwings »

Thank you Sal for making the Squeak!
I'll echo the same sentiments already expressed. In my totally unscientific experience, I really like the steel, better than VG-10 in my opinion. It hasn't seen much pocket time lately because of my Dodos, and now the Forum Native.

Bruce
A Whole Bunch of Spydies! :D
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Amazon price just went up to $40.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Ferris Wheels wrote:I have my pink squeak clipped inside my pocket right now.
Just picked up one of those for my wife. Nice. Very, very nice.

Ken
玉鋼
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I liked my pink Squeak so much, I bought three additional ones! The one I use mostly is clip-less... it actually fits into the 5th pocket on a pair of Levis like a dream. I moved the clip onto my Manix Lightweight and now it is low-riding perfection!

In all honesty, the Squeak is everything I need for day-to-day tasks, legal (I think) just about anywhere, cheap enough where I would not cry if I lost one, and the pink makes it look relatively non-threatening. Spyderco hit a home run with it. Heck, I might even order a black one next. :)
mama

Post by mama »

Ooh. Sounds like I may have found my next spyderco! Anyone want to share a pic?
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

My wife loves her Pink Squeak, and frankly I'm jealous of it and may be buying one for myself too. Only wish it came in blue... but I can live with pink.
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

The nice thing about Pink is none of the guys at work are inclined to slip it into their pocket. It takes a real man to carry a pink knife!

My wife liked the Squeak right up to realizing it was just a slip joint style knife and didn't have a lock and her G10 dragonfly breathed a sigh of relief knowing it would remain safely in her pocket.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Squeaks are great. It's one of my travel EDCs and my wife carries her pink Squeak with her everyday. I even have two pink squeaks tucked away for when my daughters are old enough to learn to handle a pocket knife. With the slipit action and great ergos, I think they could make great knives for them to start out with. Plus, it should also keep them away from my personal collection a little longer ;)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Donut

Post by Donut »

lol, so they are bribes? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

mama wrote:Ooh. Sounds like I may have found my next spyderco! Anyone want to share a pic?
Here is one of mine....