Wilkins grips now available for the Delica 4!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Agent_Ohm

Wilkins grips now available for the Delica 4!!!

Post by Agent_Ohm »

http://wilkins-knives.blogspot.com/2013 ... s-for.html

New Product: WilkinsGRIP D4 Grips for the Spyderco Delica 4 Series
Here's a first look at my newest product! The WilkinsGRIP D4 gripset designed for the Spyderco Delica 4 Series folding knives.

It took me a while to get these worked out, because as always I did not want to just make a copy the factory grips in another material. I have subtly – and not so subtly – changed the form and shape of the grip to transform the Delica 4 into a different knife. Not that the Delica isn't already a great knife. It is. I just wanted to make it into something a little different! And I think I succeeded.

The WilkinsGRIP D4 is a couple of millimeters longer than the stock Delica 4 and front of the grips has a slightly deeper radius to better insure that the user's hand doesn't slip forward onto the sharp edge. The underside of the grip is now straight and the spine has been totally redesigned to better fill the hand.

In order to allow for the redesign, I also include a new spacer which is CNC machined and incorporates a steel cross pin which engages dual holes in the Spyderco liners. This is very important as the back spring puts a lot of stress on the spacer.

I am including 7 new slot head screws with large head diameters than the stock screws. These are non-standard thread screws and were very difficult to obtain. If the project takes off, I have the option to order custom made Button Head Torx screws with a large head. However, I think the little slot head screws look pretty cool too.

The bad news (sort of) is that the Delica is NOT an easy knife to reassemble. The Griptilians are a piece of cake in comparison. I am strongly considering doing a How-To with pics and perhaps a video. Do not order these grips if you have no idea how to take apart and put a Delica back together. Just a word to the wise. I have a couple of gripsets for sale installed on a new Delica!

Right now I will be selling 12 sets of grips, all Hardcoat Black anodized, machines from 6082-T6 Alu with Dural spacers left in the white. If all goes well, I will be producing the grips in various flavors of G10/G11 as well as other alu colors and titanium.

Oh, and I'm already working on a similar design for the Enduras!

More pics will follow on the weekend!

Price per WilkinsGRIP D4 Gripset including grips, spacer and 7 screws: €130.90 (€110 for sales shipping outside the European Union) plus shipping.

Price per WilkinsGRIP D4 Gripset installed on a NEW Delica 4 including grips, spacer and 7 screws: €202.30 (€170 for sales shipping outside the European Union) plus shipping.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
In omnia paratus
CGSshorty

Post by CGSshorty »

It looks great, but I don't think I could spend $225 on a Delica.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Those are extremely nice. Can't wait for the endura ones.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Yeah, for the cost of scales....
Killer screws though. I really like those screws.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Wow those look great
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Not for me.... bulky and edgy handle... one of the greatest features of delicas and enduras is FRN comfortable and ergonomic handle...
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
APS

Post by APS »

I like the slightly wider handle over the stock. But too expensive for me...
Adam
endgame

Post by endgame »

Lovem and I think they are worth it.you want to pimp out you're knife go for it.makes that delica a sweeeeeeeeeeeeet piece.are you getting a set.I like to pay extra to make my knife my own.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well if the index/middle finger groove was made bigger I'd be all over this. Unfortunately it looks the same and will be too small for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Clip

Post by Clip »

I wish Wilkins would do something different than the machined divots in all the handles, but it's also the classic Wilkins look.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Kevin Wilkins

Post by Kevin Wilkins »

Evil D wrote:Well if the index/middle finger groove was made bigger I'd be all over this. Unfortunately it looks the same and will be too small for me.
It's not the same, it is larger.
Kevin Wilkins
Berlin • Germany
wilkins-knives.com
Kevin Wilkins

Post by Kevin Wilkins »

First off, while I appreciate folk's interest in my work, the text and photos on my website and blog are copyrighted by me and may not be copied and reposted without my permission. I was not aware of this thread until a friend made me aware of it. If someone wants to post their experiences or impressions about my work, great! Just please don't repost my website without asking first. Post your own photos and comments on products you own or are considering. Feel free to post a link to my website and blog.

The new WilkinsGRIP D4 grips for the Delica 4 are a brand new product. They are quite different than the original grips from Spyderco. They do have a lot in common with my other WilkinsGRIP products including the Bee Sting texturing which is very popular with customers and which looks and works great IMO. If they turn out to be as well liked by the public as my other grips, I will be happy.

The production of these grips including the spacer is complicated and expensive. The price is in line with the quality. I'm confident buyers will not be disappointed. I'm confident because I know the percentage of repeat customers I have. I don't yet know what the final price of the grips will be once I sell the first prototype series and get down to cranking them out in series. I do not expect it to be much if any less than the prototypes.

I hope interested readers will visit my news blog to see the photo series of the D4 grips I have there and sign up to receive notification when I post something new there.
Kevin Wilkins
Berlin • Germany
wilkins-knives.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kevin Wilkins wrote:It's not the same, it is larger.
Can you tell me how much larger? The factory Delica just isn't big enough in that area to fit my index and middle fingers. If this set of scales solved that problem, I may be buying a pair.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very nice indeed! These would look great on the upcoming Superblue sprint. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Are these grips made out of G10? Are they really just meant for an aesthetic benefit?
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

beautiful work kevin
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

All I can say is WOW! Very nice.

I have two sets of Mini Grip scales and want the D4 version too. I think I'd prefer G 10 / 11 or Titanium though.

And there is a Aogami Super Blue steel sprint run Delica coming out soon too.

Wouldn't Titanium scales look killer with a Aogami Super Blue steel blade? I think so.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Look nice, but the proof would be in how it felt in my hand. That said, I'm pretty happy with the ergonomics of the Delica 4 as is.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Looks great ... Kevin does superb work ... Now all I need is a Delica in s90v to put them on!!! :cool:
Kevin Wilkins

Post by Kevin Wilkins »

Evil D wrote:Can you tell me how much larger? The factory Delica just isn't big enough in that area to fit my index and middle fingers. If this set of scales solved that problem, I may be buying a pair.
The originals are about 43mm and mine are about 48mm measured across the opening. I have amedium sized hand and for me, it is just enough to accomodate the first 2 fingers and the last 2 fingers sit on the flat area toward the butt. The serrations on the grip are not aggressive.
Kevin Wilkins
Berlin • Germany
wilkins-knives.com