Native 5: Stuck Pivot Screw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wolfgaze

Native 5: Stuck Pivot Screw

Post by wolfgaze »

One of the pivot screws on my newly purchased Native 5 is frozen/locked up. I suspect too much loctite from the factory. I cannot get it to budge. The opposite side loosened up without much effort.

Any tips for addressing this type of issue? Would leaving the knife in a hot car on a summer day for a few hours help to melt the loctite a bit and allow me to loosen it?

I also own a heat-gun but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to mess around with that on the G-10 handle.

Thanks.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The heat gun should be ok if you are careful I've heard of soldering tips used extremely carefully. If there's any doubt in your mind just send it in for the problem solving.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

I think the area heated by a heat gun would be too large. The Mastiff's tip regarding a soldering gun/iron is probably best. This would allow you to just hold the tip in contact with the pivot screw, loosening it, without heating surrounding handle material. Jusy proceed slowly. Good Luck!
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

If you want to go the brute force route then you can get torx bits that will fit in a 1/4" socket. As long as you are not worried about breaking anything, the extra leverage from the socket wrench should help break the seal.
mattman

Post by mattman »

If you don't have a soldering iron, just heat up a nail, and use it as a substitute to focus the heat applied to the fastener.